View topic image gallery

20201018_125648 (resized).jpg
20201018_125657 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200813_200658(1) (resized).jpg
received_823733481713925 (resized).jpeg
BK33 (resized).jpg
BK22 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Were machines ever made with black shooter lanes? Was this a common vintage repair?

So I am looking at a few Black Knights from my wanted ad. There are 3 really tempting offers close by. I just got a final set of pictures from the one I'm leaning towards with photos of the shooter lane (at my request). The shooter lane... is painted black! Is this a thing? I think I can get over it but wanted to know if games were made like this or this was a common repair in older games. Black Knight will be the oldest game I've owned by 5+ years. Rest of machine looks good minus some wear around the inserts I can touch up myself. Thanks!

BK22 (resized).jpgBK22 (resized).jpgBK33 (resized).jpgBK33 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Somebody added it. Along with grey paint on the blade of the sword in the middle of the playfield.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Drain lanes have black paint added too.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Somebody added it. Along with grey paint on the blade of the sword in the middle of the playfield.

Quoted from LTG:

Drain lanes have black paint added too.

It's natural enough that I didn't notice it. I was more concerned about touching up around the inserts with black pain.

Dang it... now I gotta go back and compare playfield photos again.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Were machines ever made with black shooter lanes? Was this a common vintage repair?
So I am looking at a few Black Knights from my wanted ad. There are 3 really tempting offers close by. I just got a final set of pictures from the one I'm leaning towards with photos of the shooter lane (at my request). The shooter lane... is painted black! Is this a thing? I think I can get over it but wanted to know if games were made like this or this was a common repair in older games. Black Knight will be the oldest game I've owned by 5+ years. Rest of machine looks good minus some wear around the inserts I can touch up myself. Thanks![quoted image][quoted image]

Your oldest game?!? Ridiculous! Get some EM love in there! Get some classic Solid States!!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Your oldest game?!? Ridiculous! Get some EM love in there! Get some classic Solid States!!

What do you think I'm doing here? 1980 is older than me! Cut me some slack!

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for the input. Just sealed the deal on a cheaper but unmolested machine!

#8 3 years ago

Thanks for the input. Just sealed the deal on a cheaper but unmolested machine!

Good decision. The blacks and grays were a weird custom choice.
Probably thought it looked better like that but I would go with an original as well. Who knows what lies beneath that paint or how well it was done. Lots of questions.

#9 3 years ago

Yeah, that looks terrible. Blue all over the left ramp/loop area also isn't factory, and no attempt to make it look like the factory paint. Stickers on the magna save, etc.

Good that you avoided it.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Yeah, that looks terrible. Blue all over the left ramp/loop area also isn't factory, and no attempt to make it look like the factory paint. Stickers on the magna save, etc.
Good that you avoided it.

Getting this with reconditioned boards, solid cab, and repro backglass for less. May pick up his hardtop for a later project too. Picking up Sunday and excited.

received_823733481713925 (resized).jpegreceived_823733481713925 (resized).jpeg
#11 3 years ago

All those "Blackness Of Space" AFM have black lanes too

IMG_20200813_200658(1) (resized).jpgIMG_20200813_200658(1) (resized).jpg

#12 3 years ago

Glad to see you around, Vid.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Glad to see you around, Vid.

^^^^This^^^^

#14 3 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I wound up with this one for less money. It is soooo much nicer in person than in the pictures. All I feel like I really need to do is dial back the colored LEDs in the backbox and I'll be good. There is a tiny bit of playfield touchup I could do, but it is very nice. Even came with a new backglass and full set of CPR plastics but these look amazing. I didn't realize how much work went into "reflowed boards" and NVRAM until I looked in the backbox. Having loads of fun. Thanks!

20201018_125648 (resized).jpg20201018_125648 (resized).jpg20201018_125657 (resized).jpg20201018_125657 (resized).jpg
#15 3 years ago

I was more concerned about touching up around the inserts with black pain. ....

Ouch, that sounds... painful

Glad you found a better game in the end.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shooter-lane-painted-black and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.