Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SilverballGamer.jpg
    SilverballInterview.jpg
    JerseyJackInterview.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Hey all!

In case you hadn't heard, there's a new documentary in the works about the pinball resurgence. This is being directed/produced by Distractotron's Blake Faucette, and I'm on board as associate producer.

This past weekend we met up in New Jersey to do interviews with Jersey Jack and the folks at Silverball Museum. Blake has posted a ton of pictures from the trip on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ShootAgainMovie

If you're on Facebook, please "like" the page so we can keep you posted! We also have a twitter account, @ShootAgainMovie, and a website, http://shootagainpinballmovie.com/.

Please share your thoughts here on what you think a new pinball documentary should cover. I know there are a number of great films on this topic already, so we want to contribute something meaningful that complements those works.

JerseyJackInterview.jpgJerseyJackInterview.jpg SilverballInterview.jpgSilverballInterview.jpg SilverballGamer.jpgSilverballGamer.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Just get good coverage about all the new machines. (get new info that's not common knowledge)
    Skit-B Predator
    Nemo
    Spooky
    etc

#3 10 years ago

Excellent. Thank you !
    LTG : )

#4 10 years ago

A large part of the resurgence is due to the increase in competitive pinball. I would focus 50% of the documentary on that. Talk to PAPA, Josh Sharpe, Bowen, etc... Focus on areas of the US where pinball is popular (Portland has over 400 machines on location, Pittsburgh has the largest league in the world, etc)

The folks behind PAPA believe that competitive pinball will save pinball, especially if it gets on TV...focus on that....

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

A large part of the resurgence is due to the increase in competitive pinball. I would focus 50% of the documentary on that. Talk to PAPA, Josh Sharpe, Bowen, etc... Focus on areas of the US where pinball is popular (Portland has over 400 machines on location, Pittsburgh has the largest league in the world, etc)
    The folks behind PAPA believe that competitive pinball will save pinball, especially if it gets on TV...focus on that....

We've spoken with PAPA about this and they are on the list. I love what they are doing, efforts like bringing pinball presentations to PAX, that kind of thing is huge for exposure.

#6 10 years ago

Can't wait to watch it!

#7 10 years ago

Please make sure whoever you interview has their shirt pulled over their belly.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Please make sure whoever you interview has their shirt pulled over their belly.

Rodger that. One of the things people frequently said when I was filming my first doc (about board games) was, "Don't make us look like freaks!"

I didn't, and we certainly won't do that here. There are bound to be eccentrics in this and every hobby, but I feel that disproportionately representing that is kind of a cheap move. From what I've heard, the people in Special When Lit feel their portrayals were accurate, and there is no huge backlash like there was with King of Kong. That said, it's really the responsibility of a director, in my opinion, to stop and tactfully say something, or change the angle or zoom in, or otherwise fix situations like that. People put trust in you when you are making a film about them, and that should be taken seriously.

#9 10 years ago

I think I've mentioned it to you via PM, but just to make sure...

This isn't really a resurgence in my humble opinion. Sure, Stern is selling more games and more people are attending shows, tournaments and leagues. But very few of new folks coming into the hobby play on location regularly. Playing pinball was a social activity in this country for 70+ years. Now, modding your pins alone in your basement while posting on pinside is what passes as social activity.

The home market isn't big enough to bring pinball back to the prominence it once had in this country. Unless location play makes a comeback, pinball will become strictly a rich man's hobby.

These are the things I'd like to see covered. Yes, it won't make the documentary all upbeat. But it's basically the truth. Best of luck with the project.

Worth noting that Rabs has told me via pm that she is considering putting some of her games out on location.

#10 10 years ago

Sounds like a great movie. Can't wait to see it.

#11 10 years ago

Don't forget to focus on the technological leaps as of late too, especially with the P3. We're seeing technology lightyears ahead of the most advanced application we have seen in 14 years, which is Pinball 2000.

#13 10 years ago

also with new technology and media options, if possible can you make the doco available WORLDWIDE as a option on itunes as reckon you could get heaps of sales and spread the love of pinball across the world and you don't have to worry about dvd formats to suit the different world regions

#14 10 years ago

Bay Area community is thriving...just sayin'

#15 10 years ago

Can't wait to see it!

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

also with new technology and media options, if possible can you make the doco available WORLDWIDE

That shouldn't be a problem.

#17 10 years ago

Think it should touch on the fact that at times many of us in the hobby are our own worst enemies. We love pinball and want to keep it alive and going, but sometimes we're a little resisten to "new" ideas. Dmd or no dmd, lcd or no lcd, pin2000 a pin or a video game, love to hate JJP when they try something new , love to hate stern when they try something new. In short we like to have our cake and eat it too.

And, I'd like to see how many OCD type personalities the hobby tends to attract. Lots of perfectionist members in the hobby (not saying thats a bad thing), just saying I bet its above the norm.

#18 10 years ago

If any one gets a dvd copy of this I will sign it and donate it to centerflank and his apron for favorite charity cause.

Thanks for sharing

#19 10 years ago

also maybe another thing to make a segment on is the keeping a pin original or mods ???

#20 10 years ago

If you ever roll by Walla Walla I can do a quick interview.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

"Don't make us look like freaks!"

I don't think that even Scorsese could help you make this bunch look normal.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

also maybe another thing to make a segment on is the keeping a pin original or mods ???

I am a big fan of the modding aspect, before becoming a pinball owner I had no idea you could mod a machine. I am aiming to include discussion on mods, and a lot of that also plays into the new tech side (color DMDs and so forth).

#23 10 years ago

This sounds fun. Do you have a release date in mind yet?

#24 10 years ago

Maybe mention Herg's LED OCD board as well?

#25 10 years ago

We need a Reality Show! PIMP MY PINS !

#26 10 years ago

You've got Jack already, hopefully some of the other new companies can be interviewed... to paint a picture of a renaissance, as opposed to something that's on life support.

I'll just throw a pet peeve of mine out there... often when I see photos of pins, or video, it is row upon row of empty machines. Always looks dead. Perhaps when you are visiting some of these places you can suggest they bring in whomever they can just to look lively.

Throw some women in there too .

#27 10 years ago

This looks to be great. Liked the page...

Cointaker is not far and would be interesting facet to the hobby as I would veture to say it's safe to assume LED's for pinball machines are only in the past 3-5 years?

And many great people on this site along with RGP? B_R would be an awesome one too. He's see more machines since I've joined here than most I'd have to guess!

#28 10 years ago

Yeah interviewing BR would be interesting! Along with Lloyd, Cliff, and other common names.

#29 10 years ago

There's a little island just off the coast of new jersey where the number of machines on route has increased 10-fold in the last 5 years. I think the natives call it New York City. Seems like an easy cummute from jack's place.

-jon - reciprocal nyc

#30 10 years ago

...and don't forget to speak with Dennis about Scared Stiff & E&TPM....

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

B_R would be an awesome one too.

Funny you should say that...

#32 10 years ago

Don't forget Shanetastic!

#33 10 years ago

An interesting angle is the fact that new technology has greatly increased interest in this old hobby. Would any of this be happening without the Internet? That is how I have found all of my pins, how I get parts and repair advice, how I learn about other machines, etc. And then there is the interest in pins created by virtual pinball games on numerous popular platforms. It is no accident that this is happening now. Most of us wouldn't be into this old technology without the support of the new technology.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

There's a little island just off the coast of new jersey where the number of machines on route has increased 10-fold in the last 5 years. I think the natives call it New York City. Seems like an easy cummute from jack's place.
    -jon - reciprocal nyc

but be careful when traveling there, i hear those natives can be very restless.

#35 10 years ago

Since getting into the hobby, I find it almost frustrating that the common understanding of pinball machines is "5 points for a bumper, 10 points for a target... repeat until you lose 3/5 balls".
    When I explain to friends that these things are updated with a USB key and require a program for really in depth rules, they're shocked.
    I think the same thing applies when people hear that I own a pin. They picture "8 ball deluxe" from yester-year, covered in 25 yrs of dust.

Please do the community a favour and showcase a few pins like AC/DC and WOZ. Show the world how visually stunning this hobby can be, and how deep the rulesets can be. Not to state the obvious, but interviewing Lyman Sheats is always cool.

Note: try to stay away from a lengthy, boring description of the rules, lost on most viewers, ending with the phrase: "...which I find to be very rewarding." -using POTC for example.
    : )

#36 10 years ago

Hey Rabscuttle, sent Blake an email the other day, but if you guys need any help with any shoots or anything, I'm happy to volunteer my time for this project. I live near Winston-Salem, have a good deal of gear (camera, lenses, lights, grip) and though primarily a DP over the past 10 years, have cycled through about every crew position there is at some point or another.

Anyway, no big deal if you guys are fully crewed, but did want to offer my services for a project like this that is close to my heart.

#37 10 years ago

Don't forget Robin and Pinside....

#38 10 years ago

Please try and include some "young guns" as well, like the skit-b guys, so its not just all old guys.

#39 10 years ago

BR would be a great interview. He is responsible for 45+ of the pins that I have owned.

9 years later
    #41 1 year ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Please try and include some "young guns" as well, like the skit-b guys

This didn't age well, lol.

Congrats on this project passing the finish line 9 years later!

2 weeks later
    #42 1 year ago

9 years in the works? WOW. Can't wait to see it.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

Please share your thoughts here on what you think a new pinball documentary should cover.

Me. Owned my arcade over 50 years, 50th anniversary last September 20th. Test operator for Lieberman Music Co. for 19 years. Active on pinball newsgroups and forums for 27 years. Tech support on Bay Area Amusements website 12 years or so. Turned into Planetary Pinball Supply which led to tech support for PPS/CGC remakes since MMR release. Tech support for jjp for 8 1/2 years until last year.

Seminars at Expo for around ten years. And purveyor of souvenir mugs.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shoot-again-pinball-documentary-jersey-interviews and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.