You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_6414 (resized).JPG
IMG_6415 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arolden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hear me out, this is a totally bizarre issue!

Just restored a $6MDM which included installing a new Alltek MPU. Game played fine for a couple of days, but then I noticed that the Shoot Again lamp had become stuck on. This is controlled by Q3 on the lamp driver board. This game has a Stern LDA100 lamp driver in it but the schematics are identical to the original Bally ones. Replaced Q3 to no effect.

So I swapped in another lamp driver board from my Stars. Same issue! Lamp is still lit. So, it must be a problem with the playfield or wiring, right? The lamp socket and wiring looks fine. It is connected to J2 pin 21 on the lamp driver. I repinned pin 21 to no effect. But while testing, I noticed something really weird. If I leave pin 21 unplugged, the lamp actually still works and lights like it normally should when the feature is lit.

How is this possible? If it's unplugged from J2, how can the lamp possibly be getting a signal to turn on? If I reinstall the pin, the lamp goes back to being stuck on.

If anyone can help me understand what the hell is going on here I'd appreciate it!

IMG_6414 (resized).JPGIMG_6414 (resized).JPGIMG_6415 (resized).JPGIMG_6415 (resized).JPG
#5 4 years ago

Thanks for your replies, guys. I have done some more troubleshooting and made some progress.

The wire that connects to pin 21 is green/yellow, whereas the wire connected to the shoot again lamp is grey/red. Hmm! Looking at the connectors, there is another wire on J2 which is grey/red. And the manual lists it as SPSA - same player shoots again! So this is actually the wire that controls the shoot again lamp on the playfield. This lamp works just fine from this connector wire. So, I have to then assume that pin 21 of J2 is for the SPSA lamps on the backbox.

With pin 21 of J2 connected, the SPSA lamps on the backbox (2) work fine. However, the shoot again lamp on the playfield then locks on and gets twice as bright. Obviously, if I leave it unplugged, the backbox SPSA stop working. It's almost as if the green/yellow wire doubles the current sent to the playfield lamp.

Based on the schematics, they are all controlled by the same SCR at Q3 (same circuit). If that is working for the playfield lamp then I'm not sure what else to check on the board.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#6 4 years ago

I've also noticed that the backbox SPSA lamps stay dimly lit even when they should be off (pin 21 connected).
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#7 4 years ago

Another oddity. With J2 pin 21 (backbox) connected, the voltage to J1 pin 26 (playfield) is about half the voltage that other lamps on J1 are getting. With J2 pin 21 disconnected, the voltage to J2 pin 21 is double what it is to other lamps on J2.

I also have <1 ohm resistance between the two pins, so continuity seems good.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Check the bare wire in common to both SPSA lamps on the head and make sure it i not wired to the GI or something like that. The feature lamps bus voltage should be the same on the PF and head.
Interesting that they have Q3 turning on three lamps at once. I did not think they did more than two at a time..

Definitely not wired to the GI.

Quoted from MrBally:

The playfield lamp is incandescent and not an LED, correct?

Correct.

6 months later
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Thorzhammer88:

Any update on this one @arolden? Oddly enough I'm having the same problem on my Future Spa. I'm assuming a grounding problem is to blame, but would love any info on what you found before really digging into the schematics.

Unfortunately I was never able to figure it out. I just left the backbox SPSA lamps unplugged. That way they wouldn't work but at least the playfield SPSA lamp worked properly.

Definitely a weird issue. Let me know if you find the cause!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Had the same issue with my 6MDM. Also had an ALLTEK.
I seem to remember re-seating the connectors or re-pinning but cant remember for sure.
I do not remember the dim light part but I do remember it being on when it should not have been.

Hmm, interesting! I repinned the connectors on the MPU but not the lamp driver. Maybe I should have done that, but I didn't see any issues with the terminals or header pins.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Isnt that header just below where the battery was on the original mpu?

The header is on the bottom left hand side of the board. The MPU is above but to the right. I don't think it was affected by battery corrosion, if that's what you're thinking.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

It was so long ago, i am sorry i cant remember what i did to fix it.
Still have game and i would have kept notes but game is in maine and i am in mass.

Damn. Well we will have to rely on Thorzhammer88 to figure it out and let us know!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arolden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shoot-again-lamp-on-6mdm-lit-even-when-disconnected?tu=arolden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.