• Latest reply 9 years ago by BabyPac
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-06-0520.52.17.jpg
20140530_123035.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BabyPac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

In other news. . .

I discovered that, when ungrounded, there is ~50VAC coursing through my Hyperball frame, including the mounting areas for the boards. Hopefully this would explains why my driver board is fried although the power supply shows to be spitting out the correct voltages.

It drops to 100mv when grounded which I would think is still too much considering it should be zero.

I'll be hunting down the leak this weekend and as a starting point, should I look at the AC filter having gone bad? For some reason that's ringing a bell. Also will be looking at the ground straps that attach to the transformer frames and the lamp and solenoid rectifiers in the backbox.

Any other suspects to check out?

#3 9 years ago

Tested it this way:
If I used used two prong adapter to plug in to the outlet = stray 50v.
Using the game's plug = stray 100mv. The ground prong on the plug tests good for continuity with the game's frame, etc.

So, thinking it's grounded properly and the outlet is grounded properly as well BUT wondering it the 100mv is normal bleed or should it be 0v if truly properly grounded.

Either way, voltage is going somewhere in the game it certainly shouldn't be.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

hunch -
The earth ground (center plug, green wire) is actually tied back to Neutral (white wire) in the circuit box... check to make sure that these are properly connected in the game. Check to make sure that Hot (black wire) is not accidentally swapped with white. With older games, that green ground wire may be disconnected. Also, someone may have put in a new cord or wired in a new plug incorrectly and/or the center pin has been cut off.
Newer style plugs have the HOT and Neutral plugs with different sized blades so that these things dont happen

By "circuit box" you mean within the game itself - the wiring of the AC filter, perhaps?

The green wire is testing good for continuity with the ground prong and the plug seems to be original.

#9 9 years ago

For the last two replies:

Yes, the prong on the game's ground plug tests good for continuity for metal on the game.

Also, I'll have to confirm my outlet is wired correctly as well as try a different outlet. I'll also get a pic of the game's AC filter as it's a bit different than the one pictured above, IIRC.

Thx

#10 9 years ago

Here's my AC filter setup:

2014-06-0520.52.17.jpg2014-06-0520.52.17.jpg

Also, the outlets in question check as good with a tester. So, it's the game itself.

I can't imagine 50VAC floating around is good for the game, but how about that 100 to 300mv when grounded - is that a concern?

Lastly, I've also read that the AC filter isn't a concern and can be removed altogether - is this correct?

#12 9 years ago

Well, was more talking about the game boards, etc. I don't think 100 to 300mv would be harmful for the player. It's the boards, man - the BOARDS!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

With the game off, but plugged in, check if your incoming wires in the machine.
So, meter set on AC:
One probe on WHITE wire, one on green. Voltage (hopefully 0v)? (if 120v WHITE is HOT)
One probe on BLACK, one on green. Voltage (hopefully 120v)? (if 0v, ground is faulty)
One probe on BLACK, one on WHITE. Voltage (hopefully 120v)?

Can't tell black or white as they're all brown from the extension cord, save for the green ground wire.

The wire that's fused before going in to the AC filter is 120v when connected with ground.
The wire that's not fused before going in to the AC filter is pretty much zero (.05mv) when connected with ground.
Fused to nonfused wire (no ground) is 120Vac.
So, presuming the fused wire is the black and normally hot wire, this is properly wired, correct?

#16 9 years ago

It looks to be the original cord with a properly grounded 3rd prong.

EDIT: Issue seems to be the case of the AC filter - removed the grounding straps from it and get ~50VAC when going case to ground (cement) or the case's green wire to ground (cement).

So, safe to remove the AC filter as I've read elsewhere?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If both wires are brown, the one with the ribbing down it's length is the White/Neutral conductor.

Cool, never knew, or even noticed, that!

Yes, wired correctly then as that gets ~0vAC when paired with the ground.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Never seen an original cord that's brown on any pin.. I had a lamp cord on both of the EM's I used to own that had to be replaced. Junk.
Reason why I say replace the cord is, even if it works and you find a solution to the stray voltage, if you have to work on it again in the future, it would solve this problem of not knowing what is what. The only way I knew what was what was because of the tip that Vid just mentioned. But ya know... I still think those cords are <bleep>!

Well, it *looks* original as did the soldering. I recall the Captain Fantastic I had also had the same type cord, so presumed it was original as well.

#23 9 years ago

AC filter removed, regrounded properly and issues gone. May replace it later but want to get things up and running first.

Thx, all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BabyPac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shocking-discovery-stray-50vac?tu=BabyPac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.