• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

u163.jpg
IMG_20120304_113315.jpg
IMG_20120304_113255.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Had my BSD playfield up and the power off. Brushed my hand against something and got a mild shock. This was from the bottom of the playfield. Turned the machine on and now the opto switches for the castle and magnet aren't working (#51,53,54,55 & 56). Don't know if they had anything to do with each other. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to look at fuses and connectors now, anything else I should look for?

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from IowaPinballClub:

I had a reimport WH2O with the cord's "hot" switched!

Interesting, this is a reimport as well. I'll have to check that out.

#7 12 years ago

There had also been a "ground short Row 3" that came up initially than disappeared. After reseating the connectors from the opto board under the playfield it came back. After reading a previous post on switch columns I noticed that the ground fault disappears when I disconnect the opto board and now it is #51, 54, 55, 56 & 57 that are out. I reseated the connectors several times now and I get the same errors. If it's just a matter of replacing the LM339 I can do that, I just don't want to miss something else. Could this be a short somewhere up the line that is affecting the opto switches. I'm going to have to go back and check this out.

#10 12 years ago

Robertmee, there are no connectors to pull on J207 or 209? but I went ahead and tested each one and only one switch lit when circuit was closed. So all seems good on the mpu?

#12 12 years ago

Damn **** phone.

#13 12 years ago

Tried to upload pictures from phone, unsuccessfully. Don't know why there are no connectors at J207 or 209 but each switch worked properly.

IMG_20120304_113255.jpgIMG_20120304_113255.jpg IMG_20120304_113315.jpgIMG_20120304_113315.jpg

#16 12 years ago

When you say pins are you talking about the female connector inputs? I insert the paper clip into #4 then touch the other end of clip onto pin 6-12 on the opto board? (It has to be that or I wouldn't be checking the PF) Then do #3.
Just don't want to fry anything else.

#19 12 years ago

Checked out just like you said, no issues with the MPU. One odd thing, now I have #51, 54, 57, 63 & 71 showing as problems, why the change or are these LM339 issues just wonky?

#21 12 years ago

Ok, when I first developed the problem in the "test menu" at start up gave me errors on "#51, 53, 54, 55 & 56, Time and Date, and two Magnet errors" and for a moment "Row 3 Ground Short" went on then off. Next time test menu showed the "row 3 ground short" along with "#51, 54, 55, 56 & 57", Time & Date Not Set and two Magnet errors. My last post showed #51, 54, 57, 63 & 71, ground fault row 3, time & date and two Magnet errors. Just now its giving me #51, 63 & 73, ground short in row 3, Time & Date not set and Magnet Load Error.
I'm guessing this might not be a LM339 problem.

#24 12 years ago

I wish I had internet in my shop... running back and forth gets old.
Yes, I have batteries in with the positive terminals up. I removed them to see if that would make a difference but got the same errors. Put batteries back in and went to pull out J3 and got another shock when my finger touched J4. I pulled J3, turned machine on and now I only get errors #51, #73, Time & Date. Row 3 Ground Fault and #63 have disappeared completely. Plugged J3 back in and #63 and Grd Fault come back. Removed batteries and the same thing happened, Grd Fault and #63 appear with J3 attached and disappear when J3 is removed. (If this is a batteries were put in upside down issue I'm gonna snap)

#25 12 years ago

I decided to step back and retrace my steps. As it is right now:
When I run Test at startup with J3 connected I get error #51, 63 and 73, Grd Short in Row 3, Time and Date Not Set and Magnet R. Error. (I might also get another Magnet L error if I let the Mist motor run long enough.)
With J3 disconnected #63 and Grd Short errors disappear.
I went back and tested between J207 and J209 again and it turns out when I jump J207 pin 8 to J209 pin 6 nothing happens. Don't know if I missed that the first time around or if it's new but I have to guess that I missed it.
Went into switch test and checked all the optos. All of them read as "open" except for the "Ball On Magnet" which shows closed.
Test also shows that all of Row 3 is definitely out because of the grounding problem.

Any further thoughts on this would be helpful.

#28 12 years ago

Hey Robertmee. Did everything you suggested along with reading up on WPC Repair guides 1, 2 & 3.
When I turned on the machine after factory reset the error messages were only 51 & 73 which are optos.
With J3 plugged in I got switch errors 51, 63 & 73 along with Row 3 Gnd Short. I then unplugged J3 again and got errors 51, 63 & 73 only, Gnd disappeared.
For fun I went into Single Switch Test and Optos 51, 52, 53 (shorted row), 54, 55, 56, 57, 71, 72 & 73 (shorted row) are all not working.
Date and Time are still in memory so that seems fine.

#30 12 years ago

When I repair the board should I go ahead and replace all the LM339 and the output diodes? If I'm testing the diodes then I'm half way to replacing them anyway. What do you guys do?
I have the short in row 3, which LM339 is that specific to?
Yes, I will socket them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shocked-with-machine-turned-off?tu=Kane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.