IMG_5370 (resized).JPG
IMG_5371 (resized).JPG
IMG_5368 (resized).JPG
15749582_10211773921973591_1705538293_n (resized).jpg
15730913_10211773921613582_481549739_n (resized).jpg
IMG_5269 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG
2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mamawaldee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 7 years ago

OMG shmups are the best.

I been addicted since 1980. Williams Stargate, a.k.a. Defender II was and in many ways still is my all time favorite. I used to leave blood on the control panel back in the day. Stargate was the first coin-op in the collection and remains today.

If you have a Saturn and can find a copy, Radiant Silvergun is phenomenal.
Similarly, for PC Engine, Rtype, Blazing Lazers, Gate/Lords of Thunder, and if you have the arcade card, get a copy of Sapphire. It's the equivalent of Radiant on the Saturn. I almost went to Italy to buy an original copy of Sapphire for $700 over 10 years ago. You can get very nice bootleg clone copies of Sapphire for $60 bucks now. Some people try to pawn clones as originals, so it's not worth seeking an original if you are into that sort of thing. I have a lot of Japanese imports and had I known about the future collectability of some of these titles I would have kept all the spine cards. I could kick myself for that now, but those games aren't going anywhere.

If you like Musha on the Genesis, try Spriggan on PC Engine. My favorite shooter on Genesis was probably Gaires or Thunderforce3.

It's not shmup, but a beautiful game, but if you like platform games on the PC Engine, you must play Dracula X. Why NEC did not bring that to the USA just makes no sense. PC engine was my favorite system overall.

So many good PC engine shmups never made it to the USA, same for Saturn, and all the other consoles.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:Ever played M.U.S.H.A. on the genesis? Its pretty freakin great.

Certainly have, and yes it is. All the Aleste games are bollock-shrivellingly impressive for the hardware they run on, but none more so than Super Aleste on the SNES.

Love the vertical shmups. Musha is real good. Spriggan on PC engine is remarkably similar but you need the CD add-on to play it. Or the Magic Engine emulator.

Also pretty much anything made by Hudson Soft is a safe bet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mamawaldee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shmups-arcade-group?tu=mamawaldee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.