IMG_5370 (resized).JPG
IMG_5371 (resized).JPG
IMG_5368 (resized).JPG
15749582_10211773921973591_1705538293_n (resized).jpg
15730913_10211773921613582_481549739_n (resized).jpg
IMG_5269 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG
2.jpg
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

the arcadesd is much better and way more accurate... and has more games.

Whats arcadesd?

#103 7 years ago

Thanks.

#104 7 years ago

Buy yourself a Mutli CPS2 or the NEO GEO Multi MVS (comming soon) from Darksoft. All 100% original games and no emulation.
www.arcade-projects.com

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Gokujou Parodius and Sexy Parodius. Both original Japanese boards. The only two I think I really want to own honestly. They were listed at $200 and $250 on eBay respectively, but I worked out a package deal, so knock $25-30 off each one and free shipping.

Christ, that's still about a 400 percent markup over what I paid for my Sexy Parodius PCB back around 2011. :/

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Christ, that's still about a 400 percent markup over what I paid for my Sexy Parodius PCB back around 2011. :/

Shmups are pricey now, too many collectors, not enough supply.

Quoted from OlDirty:

Buy yourself a Mutli CPS2 or the NEO GEO Multi MVS (comming soon) from Darksoft. All 100% original games and no emulation.

This. The CPS2 setup is one of the best values in legit arcade hardware, and I'm gearing up for the Neo Geo multicart now. Working out a deal on a Neo Candy 29 to hold it.

Stock.jpgStock.jpg

#107 7 years ago

That's a nice looking cab.

#108 7 years ago

How much are you looking at for the multi-CPS2 setup, and what sort of deal did they strike with Capcom to make it 'legit'?

#109 7 years ago

BTW, I liked the Darius series enough to do this with it, back in 2003.

(Redoing it again, too.)

e554a5e (resized).jpge554a5e (resized).jpg

#110 7 years ago

in the video he said 325-350$.

all the infos for the CPS 2 board. You need to be registered on the forum. Legit? i think they just did it
http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?board/3-cps2-multigame/

#111 7 years ago

How much are you looking at for the multi-CPS2 setup, and what sort of deal did they strike with Capcom to make it 'legit'?

The kit is around $325 if you can find it in stock, think they're doing another run of 100 soon though.

You need a working A board, and you have to sacrifice a B board, can be a dead non-phoenixed one though.

No deal with Capcom, not sure they could stop it even if they wanted to, short of going after ROM distribution. It's a daughterboard for the B board.

#112 7 years ago

Eeeeeeeenteresting. I have a CPS-2 mainboard in a box somewhere, never got around to any games for it. I've been meaning to get a nice Candy cab with a proper kick harness to supplement my crappy old early-90s three-button genericab.

Are the kit roms all territory-locked, or does it not matter where your A and B boards come from?

#113 7 years ago

Sweet, they do an S-TV Titan kit as well, I think all the double-Hitachi based Psikyo shooters should run on that. My Die Hard Arcade would be sacrificed for the common good.

#114 7 years ago

Are the kit roms all territory-locked, or does it not matter where your A and B boards come from?

Makes zero difference, you're just using them for your hardware, you can write any region ROMs you want.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I saw you're question and I don't think this was the answer you were looking for but I remembered seeing this game at Louisville Expo.

Arcade near me has test version on location. I haven't gotten a chance to get over there and play it yet, and probably won't anytime soon. Word is they're planning on 2-player.

#116 7 years ago

I was planning on showing off a Sony PVM-14M2U 14" CRT monitor I bought on eBay that I would keep permanently rotated for TATE shmups play, but UPS mangled it (was advertised shipping FedEx, who I trust more).

The seller put it in a box filled with shipping peanuts, but it's essentially a 45lb weight that was free-floating in a big box. It probably should have been secured in place by sheets of styrofoam like other CRTs I've bought off eBay in the past. There was also no "This side up" indicator on the box, so it arrived on my doorstep sideways.

The front casing has separated from the main body, and a chunk of it broke off. Looking into the chunk, the screw posts that secured the front to the rest of the unit have snapped apart. The power button doesn't function when I plug it in, and I can hear bits of something loosely rattle around inside the case when I move the unit around. I might be able to fix it so that it is operational again, but even if I do, the monitor's structural integrity is shot and there'd be no way I could use it on its side. Plus it's all busted-looking now.

I sent a message to the seller. I'm hoping for a refund and that they aren't going to make me pay to ship it back to them.

#117 7 years ago

Aw, that sucks. That's the kind of thing I'd want to pick up locally if possible.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Aw, that sucks. That's the kind of thing I'd want to pick up locally if possible.

Yeah, totally. But professional CRTs in this area are hard to come by now. There were tons available five years ago, now they hardly appear on Craigslist, and when they do they're way too expensive. I bought my PVM-2030 from a production company's Craigslist ad for $20. Now on eBay, I see several sold listings of that same model for hundreds, at least three for $500+. I see one PVM available on Craigslist right now, and I've been watching for months, and it's $500. The only other I've seen in the past year was a 14" model for $400.

I may have to give up my PVM elitism and buy a nice consumer SDTV with component input from a thrift store.

#119 7 years ago

Does anyone know what kind of monitor Sega Lindberg in '00s used? It's a CRT but it has a VGA cord. I don't have the Lindberg yet but was wondering if I can test the monitor with a PC. There shouldn't be any problems there, right?

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I don't have the Lindberg yet but was wondering if I can test the monitor with a PC. There shouldn't be any problems there, right?

It looks like the Lindbergh is built on traditional PC components, with an nVidia graphics card. I did a little Googling around and didn't see any indication that you couldn't plug this into any TV or monitor that has a VGA input.

Based on the YouTube videos I've seen of it so far, this system's fan is LOUD.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

It looks like the Lindbergh is built on traditional PC components, with an nVidia graphics card. I did a little Googling around and didn't see any indication that you couldn't plug this into any TV or monitor that has a VGA input.
Based on the YouTube videos I've seen of it so far, this system's fan is LOUD.

Maybe but it is under the seat. I'm sure with speakers turned up it wouldn't matter.

I keep thinking it would be funny to turn a cockpit arcade like this into your PC.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Does anyone know what kind of monitor Sega Lindberg in '00s used? It's a CRT but it has a VGA cord. I don't have the Lindberg yet but was wondering if I can test the monitor with a PC. There shouldn't be any problems there, right?

So let's clarify what you mean. There was a Sega Lindbergh cabinet. There's also Sega Lindbergh game hardware. Two separate things.

If you mean the cabinet, they're not CRT, it's a 32" widescreen LCD. I assume it's similar to the ones in Vewlix cabs, which would make it 720p.

If you mean the hardware, it's HD rez too, I'd assume 720p to match the monitors that were standard as I mentioned above.

VGA cords aren't rare, even with CRTs, I have a cabinet with a tri-sync CRT that uses a VGA connector.

#123 7 years ago

Got my Parodius PCBs today, haven't even unpacked them yet. Seller did a legit packing job, which means they're all bubble wrapped, taped up, and surrounded by all kinds of styrofoam and peanuts and whatnot. Was watching the Capcom Cup finals, didn't get a chance to dive into it.

Also got my PGM motherboard, with a Demon Front cart. What's interesting is there are several Cave games that use the PGM hardware, just with dedicated PCBs, but it's possible to hack up other PGM game carts to run the Cave code. No emulation, not bootleg, original code and hardware. Then they switched to the SH3 hardware, so it's just three games, Espgaluda, Ketsui, and whatever the next DonPachi game was.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So let's clarify what you mean. There was a Sega Lindbergh cabinet. There's also Sega Lindbergh game hardware. Two separate things.
If you mean the cabinet, they're not CRT, it's a 32" widescreen LCD. I assume it's similar to the ones in Vewlix cabs, which would make it 720p.
If you mean the hardware, it's HD rez too, I'd assume 720p to match the monitors that were standard as I mentioned above.
VGA cords aren't rare, even with CRTs, I have a cabinet with a tri-sync CRT that uses a VGA connector.

Sorry this is my Afterburner Climax that runs on Sega Lindbergh hardware. While the deluxe motion cabs had the LCD screen, this is a standard cab and it comes with a VGA CRT.

The question I had was would it hurt the monitor or PC that I have if I tested the monitor to see if it worked with my PC? Just to see if the monitor is operational. The game is missing the Lindbergh hardware. They aren't terribly expensive (around $400) but I wanted to see if monitor needs tinkering with before I buy the hardware. I think I answered my own question though and don't think I'll have any problem testing my Afterburner monitor with a PC.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think I answered my own question though and don't think I'll have any problem testing my Afterburner monitor with a PC.

Yeah, you'll be fine. Not only is it HD of some kind, but sending a low rez source to an LCD monitor won't hurt it. You can cause problems with the opposite, trying to send a high rez signal to a low rez CRT, but this is fine.

1 week later
#126 7 years ago

This morning's pickup for shmups:

IMG_5293-1 (resized).JPGIMG_5293-1 (resized).JPG

#127 7 years ago

Had some trouble with the monitor on that NAC, the sync line on the jamma connector got loose while being moved I think. Luckily after a bunch of poking and trying things I was able to find the loose part and reseat it. So only got it all working this morning.

IMG_5332 (resized).JPGIMG_5332 (resized).JPG

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Had some trouble with the monitor on that NAC, the sync line on the jamma connector got loose while being moved I think. Luckily after a bunch of poking and trying things I was able to find the loose part and reseat it. So only got it all working this morning.

Killing me smalls!
I love it! Esp ra de, super cool

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I love it! Esp ra de, super cool

Borrowing from a friend, but I have Ketsui, Espgaluda, and Do Donpachi Dai Ou Jou coming, PGM cart conversions.

#130 7 years ago

Nice get Aurich ! The NAS is a beautiful cab and the PGM conversions are also great. You'll enjoy those.

#131 7 years ago

My RGB setup which is still being configured. One NEC XM29 and one XM29plus for the displays. One will be rotated for horizontal. With Superg's gscartsw scart switcher. Also have an Omega Neogeo on the way if they would ever ship the damn thing.

IMG_5557 (resized).JPGIMG_5557 (resized).JPG

#132 7 years ago

I'm going to try and retrobrite the speaker housing on the NAC. Already took it all apart, stripped off the adhesive etc. Pain, but hopefully worth it!

#133 7 years ago

Here's my setup! Hosted a mini shmup meet last weekend...

FB_IMG_1482356931195 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1482356931195 (resized).jpg

FB_IMG_1482356961036 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1482356961036 (resized).jpg

#134 7 years ago

I just discovered the delights of Cave's back catalogue on iOS (four quid for the complete Bug Princess OH HELL YES). Not games I would have sampled before without touch screen control, but they play perfectly on this format. Unfortunately, Android only has a grindtastic F2P version of Mushihimesama Futari from what I gather, instead of the one-off purchases on iOS.

#135 7 years ago

What's the name of the game running on the Egret 2?

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

Looks like Batsugun.

#137 7 years ago

Were Astro City cabs bad for getting drinks spilled on them? It's a really nice design but I imagine in an arcade setting those flat surfaces would not be good for the operator.

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

It's Batsugun, like Aurich said! Arguably the original danmaku/bullet hell game. No complicated scoring system, but gorgeous and a hell of a lot of fun.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Were Astro City cabs bad for getting drinks spilled on them? It's a really nice design but I imagine in an arcade setting those flat surfaces would not be good for the operator.

Haaaaave you played pinball?

My Egret 2 (and numerous Sega cabs) have had beer spill on them, and it seems to always pool nicely in the underside of the control panel. Not bad, all things considered.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

It's Batsugun, like Aurich said! Arguably the original danmaku/bullet hell game. No complicated scoring system, but gorgeous and a hell of a lot of fun.

Yeah, great game, and done by Toaplan, which basically was the seed company for all these other great shmup makers, like Cave, Raizing, and Psyiko. Toaplan dissolved, and the designers there all split up to make their own companies. I'd love to own that PCB, hard to find now, and people jack the prices up now that shmups are hot.

This is a good article about how Cave built on what Batsugun started: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/dodonpachi/dodonpachi.htm

And this is a great relevant quote:

In February of 1993, Japanese game developer Toaplan released Batsugun to Japanese arcades. The game would be met with high praise, and would later be cited as the game that defined many of the various tropes and characteristics that are present in every bullet-hell shmup created since. Sadly, Toaplan would close its doors soon after, leaving many developers suddenly out of work. One of these developers was a programmer named Tsuneki Ikeda, who with fellow now ex-Toaplan employees would found their own development studio, Cave Interactive Co. Ltd, more commonly known as Cave. As Cave was comprised of ex-Toaplan employees at that time, it makes sense that their inaugural game would be a Toaplan-style shooting game. Their first game is DonPachi (lit. "Leader Bee"),a "maniac shooter" in the vein of other Toaplan shmups, like Batsugun. DonPachi was first released in Japanese arcades in May of 1995, and in doing so, created a franchise that would see various releases and ports over the next eight years and across two console generations.

#141 7 years ago

Not sure how I've missed this thread. Count me in. Love shmups. Love candy cabs. Really like almost every cave game I've played. Any of you guys check out the NESiCAxLive release of
akai katana shin?

3.jpg3.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

#142 7 years ago

Very nice candy setups you have there. Of course i checked out Akai Katana. Have the PCB and XBOX 360 version of it. But to be honest i haven't spent too much time with it yet. I think my absolute favorite Cave shmup is Muchi Muchi Pork

#143 7 years ago

I'm kind of the in the same situation. I'm just now getting into it. I've only made it a few levels in so far (always turn off continues on my games). It's tough because on my Vewlix cab is JLFs so not ideal by any means for shmups. I play most on my NAC cab with an ls-32 but not sure it would be doing an HD game any justice playing on a nanao ms9. Looks absolutely amazing on 15k games though.

#144 7 years ago

I use Seimitsu LS-32 sticks in both of my cabs, as i play 90% shmups only. HD games also look amazing on a Nanao MS9. I do that with Dodonpachi SDJ. XBOX360 connected to my Egret 2 cabinet with a Box of "lemony vengance".

#145 7 years ago

In my case it doesn't really make sense to do that though since I already have an HD cab that can play it at it's native high resolution. I have run a few of the TTX games one of my ms9s in interlaced and I wasn't really feeling it. I put a WG D9400 quad sync in my Blast City and that looks quite good playing the TTX games since you don't get any of the interlace flicker... but also JLFs in my Blast so again not ideal for shmups. I wouldn't mind putting in one of those oversized actuators into a JLF to try out for shmups. Anyone have experience with those? I wouldn't be comfortable swapping them out to LS-32s since I'm still a big fighting game fan so I'd rather keep rocking JLFs the majority of the time. I'd be fine with swapping the actuator out whenever I feel like playing some HD shmups though .

As a side note I've been meaning to find a 1l6b astro CPO for my panel since I've been using a VS city panel on it for years now.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Not sure how I've missed this thread. Count me in.

You are so f—ing in with that Third Strike VS City. So sick. I'm setting up a fake one with two linked Astros with single player control panels as a project early next year.

#147 7 years ago

my Shumps are on console and pc only

I love all these candy cabs

#148 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure these suckers took all my quarters and my time in the 90s. Wheredoesone start here now?
Thanks.

#149 7 years ago

Akai is amazing... for me it's progear, probably because I've been playing it longer, but even before that it was air buster.

Anyway... tonight its Sweet!
... pink Sweets

IMG_3853 (resized).JPGIMG_3853 (resized).JPG

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You are so f—ing in with that Third Strike VS City. So sick. I'm setting up a fake one with two linked Astros with single player control panels as a project early next year.

I was thinking that also. I really love arcade versus cabs that use two monitors and have never seen an Astro like that. Also Third Strike is my favorite SF. I bought that for Dreamcast for $15 when the market crashed on DC games and had a great time playing that.

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shmups-arcade-group/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.