IMG_5370 (resized).JPG
IMG_5371 (resized).JPG
IMG_5368 (resized).JPG
15749582_10211773921973591_1705538293_n (resized).jpg
15730913_10211773921613582_481549739_n (resized).jpg
IMG_5269 (resized).JPG
IMG_3853 (resized).JPG
2.jpg
There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 7 years ago

Alongside Pinball I fave a growing collection of arcade machines. One of the niche genres that I play a lot is Shoot em Ups, or SHMUPS for short.

A SHMUP is an arcade game that typically places you in control (with a joystick and a few buttons ) of a ship or jet and your usual goals are to keep your craft alive while shooting or blowing up opponent crafts.

A typical example is Galaga, but there are hundreds of these games. The types of these games where the goal to stay alive seems impossible because of a lot of bullets all over the screen you must dodge are called "bullet hell shooters".

Most of the modern SHMUPS are usually played on a Japanese candy cabinet arcade machine, they are short and you can pull up a chair to play them.

I don't own any candy cabs, and could never find any to buy so I made my own, one for vertical SHMUPS and the other for horizontal SHMUPS and fighting games..

My favorites are:
Dodonpachi
Galaga
Air buster
Gaioh
Pro gear
Raiden 2
Haleys comet
Guange
Donkey kong 3 (can be classified as a SHMUP)
Tempest
Muchi muchi pork
... and a hundred others

I recently acquired a raiden 2 arcade, but mostly play SHMUPS on the Xbox 360, in mame or at the arcade when I can find them

I also have a white Japanese Sega Saturn that I can play quite a few shmups on, it's a great system for them...

IMG_6965 (resized).JPGIMG_6965 (resized).JPG
IMG_6106 (resized).JPGIMG_6106 (resized).JPG
IMG_6941 (resized).JPGIMG_6941 (resized).JPG
IMG_2585 (resized).JPGIMG_2585 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I don't own any candy cabs, and could never find any to buy so I made my own, one for vertical SHMUPS and the other for horizontal SHMUPS and fighting games..

Nice cabs! Sounds familiar Xevious was my inspiration too, completely built from scratch.

Cheers

IMG_0522 (resized).JPGIMG_0522 (resized).JPG

IMG_0518 (resized).JPGIMG_0518 (resized).JPG

IMG_0519 (resized).JPGIMG_0519 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Nice! Xevious has the coolest art package. I have a non working almost mint xevious. I bet that's a really hard cab to build from scratch.

#4 7 years ago

Damn. I REALLY, *REALLY* like that white custom cabinet!

I had a Gyruss cocktail that was beautiful, at one point, but haven't had a dedicated cabinet for any other shooter. Keep trying to find a Galaga mini but not paying ridiculous prices they seem to get around here.

Oh wait, I just lied. I DID have a Raiden DX cabinet for like a month or so...I remember my kids playing it quite a bit, but it was too much space for just that one game....my universal problem with arcade games in general, so it got sold.

The Saturn is awesome. I've got one of the memory carts that enables playing import games and have at least the following...has been a while since I've had it out, I'd have to check to verify..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jikky%C5%8D_Oshaberi_Parodius
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexy_Parodius

Wish I still had my gamecube and Ikaruga. =P

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Nice! Xevious has the coolest art package. I have a non working almost mint xevious. I bet that's a really hard cab to build from scratch.

It was quite a mission, especially because i didn't find exact measurements and had to improvise a bit, but it turned out nice.
Build log here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133202.msg1414948.html
Did you build yours from scratch too?
Cheers

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wish I still had my gamecube and Ikaruga. =P

I still have mine I like the fact that you can flip the TV on its side and play it vertically how it's meant to be played.

#7 7 years ago

If you have a PC the Steam port of Ikaruga is solid, and supports vertical tate play.

#8 7 years ago

I have a PC, but my monitor is like 16:9 2560x1440 and too big to fit sideways on my desk.

#9 7 years ago

I built the vert shmups from scratch. Also built the horizontal fight cab from scratch... It has an LCD in it which I'd really like to replace it with a CRT soon.

Here's my newly acquired raiden2, I may salvage the monitor from it for my shmups machine if it will fit. it will be a big project to move the CRT to it.

IMG_3386 (resized).JPGIMG_3386 (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

OH GOD ALL OF THE YES. Old-school SHMUPS have always been my favourites, and aside from all the ones I play on MAME, I have a healthy collection of most of the best SHMUPS collected over twenty-odd years on SNES / Super Famicom, Genesis / Megadrive, PC Engine, PS1 PAL and Japanese / PAL Saturn. Way too many to list.

I also collect arcade boards, with a bunch of good shooters in there too: Thunder Cross 1 & 2, Pang and Super Pang, Sexy Parodius, Carrier Airwing, Heavy Unit, and a Taito F3 mainboard with carts of Kyukyoku Tiger 2 and Darius Gaiden, which is sitting in my old cab at this moment. Hishayoshi Ogura FTW.

If you're including run-'n-guns, add Xain'd Sleena and Sunset Riders to that arcade list as well.

My all-time favourites that aren't in my arcade collection would be most of Toaplan's output before they became Cave, and the Gradius / Parodius series.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you have a PC the Steam port of Ikaruga is solid, and supports vertical tate play.

Can't fault Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun (well, except for the price).

I used to really dislike bullet hell shooters in general though. Not because they were too hard, but because I found them really really tedious to play. There was next to no flexibility in how you played them; your ship moved at *this* speed, enemy shots moved at *that* speed, and when pattern A occurred at time B, you had to have positioned yourself exactly at co-ordinate X/Y or be destroyed. Repeat until heat death of the universe. Not only that, but I could have the prettiest game ever made and never see 99 percent of the graphics; peripheral vision play became impossible and my focus was exclusively on the square inch around my ship.

Then I got an iPad.

And suddenly new shooters were AMAZING again. Taking the speed restriction away from the ship, and letting it match any swipe across the touch screen means I can play a bullet hell reactively again, just as I still play all the old ones, and the challenge is still mostly there.

#12 7 years ago

A lot of bullet hell shooters have multiple speeds too, and it's often tied to the chain/scoring system. Like the difference between the two shot styles in Progear, which change how enemies drop bonuses, but also change the speed of your ship. Helpful for being able to turn on a slower, more precise movement method when navigating challenging bullet patterns.

Or the unique dual style of Guwange, where you control both your spirit form and your physical form with the same stick, but they move at two totally different speeds.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A lot of bullet hell shooters have multiple speeds too, and it's often tied to the chain/scoring system. Like the difference between the two shot styles in Progear, which change how enemies drop bonuses, but also change the speed of your ship. Helpful for being able to turn on a slower, more precise movement method when navigating challenging bullet patterns.
Or the unique dual style of Guwange, where you control both your spirit form and your physical form with the same stick, but they move at two totally different speeds.

Yes, this is typical of Cave shooters where you spam the fire button for wider shooting at faster speeds, and hold it down for more focused forward damage at slower speed. Compared to an iPad port like any of the later Raidens though and those two speeds feel like 'dead slow' and 'stop'. I don't want to navigate intricate bullet patterns through a microscope; I want to anticipate them coming and then sod off away from there.

#14 7 years ago

Ever played M.U.S.H.A. on the genesis? Its pretty freakin great.

#15 7 years ago

Does anyone even make shooters in the last 5-10 years that *AREN'T* bullet hell style?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Does anyone even make shooters in the last 5-10 years that *AREN'T* bullet hell style?

I'll get back to you on that

Has anyone played illvelo, or radirgy?
Those are pretty wacky games, but pretty cool visually

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Ever played M.U.S.H.A. on the genesis? Its pretty freakin great.

Certainly have, and yes it is. All the Aleste games are bollock-shrivellingly impressive for the hardware they run on, but none more so than Super Aleste on the SNES.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

DariusBurst isn't what I'd call a bullet hell. iOS version is nice, but swipe control makes that one way too easy.

#19 7 years ago

Everyone keeps mentioning Cave. What, is there no love for Psikyo or Raizing? Cave shooters are like a comfortable pair of shoes, by and large the same formula every time. Raizing in the 90s were trying to shake up the vertical genre a little more with imaginative gems like Shippu Mahou Daisakusen, which has the secondary racing challenge of seeing how far you can go for long stretches without shooting at anything.

#20 7 years ago

This thread has given me quite a few new titles to load up in my mame/mala setup to try out. Thanks!

This and the other arcade thread are likely to cost me $ on some darksoft gear when it's back in stock too.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Everyone keeps mentioning Cave. What, is there no love for Psikyo or Raizing? Cave shooters are like a comfortable pair of shoes, by and large the same formula every time. Raizing in the 90s were trying to shake up the vertical genre a little more with imaginative gems like Shippu Mahou Daisakusen, which has the secondary racing challenge of seeing how far you can go for long stretches without shooting at anything.

I love Psyikyo and Raizing games! I even love Gunbarich. Dragon Blaze is IMHO one of the prettiest shmups made. Battle Baregga, the Gunbirds, the wacky bosses in Samurai Aces, tons of great titles.

But I don't think you can call Cave's games formulaic. ESP Ra.De. and Guwange and Progear and Dangun Feveron? They do a lot more than just the Don Pachi games.

#22 7 years ago

I like calling dangun feveron "disco fever"
Hehe

A few more of my favorites are einhander, I wish there was an arcade version

Harmful park

And the shmup stage of Captain America and the avengers

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love Psyikyo and Raizing games! I even love Gunbarich. Dragon Blaze is IMHO one of the prettiest shmups made. Battle Baregga, the Gunbirds, the wacky bosses in Samurai Aces, tons of great titles.
But I don't think you can call Cave's games formulaic. ESP Ra.De. and Guwange and Progear and Dangun Feveron? They do a lot more than just the Don Pachi games.

Dragon blaze or Dragon Spirit, both good games in their own right

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I like calling dangun feveron "disco fever"
Hehe
A few more of my favorites are einhander, I wish there was an arcade version
Harmful park
And the shmup stage of Captain America and the avengers

Einhander!! Damn good memory!! Makes me wanna pull out my ps1 and play it.

#25 7 years ago

I really loved air buster and einhander because of the weapon upgrade mechanics, I wish someone would make an einhander sequel.

#26 7 years ago

Come up to Chicago Area. The Galloping Ghost has a tons of Shmups with a great community of guys who play them.

http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/

#27 7 years ago

Raizing and Cave are actually both offshoot of Toaplan. Ikeda and Yagawa (the lead programmers at Cave and Raizing, respectively) made VERY different games, both with a lot of complexity for what they are. I used to be a massive Cave whore, but I've really gotten into Raizing lately; Battle Bakraid is my favorite this month.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Absolutely, espgaluda comes to mind, totally unique scoring mechanism. Also ketsui with it's distance based difference in points rewarded. They tried a lot to reinvent the wheel imo and mostly they suceeded! Love these games!

#29 7 years ago

Heh. Einhander. I still have my PS1 copy of that and had it out not too long ago.

#30 7 years ago

OMG shmups are the best.

I been addicted since 1980. Williams Stargate, a.k.a. Defender II was and in many ways still is my all time favorite. I used to leave blood on the control panel back in the day. Stargate was the first coin-op in the collection and remains today.

If you have a Saturn and can find a copy, Radiant Silvergun is phenomenal.
Similarly, for PC Engine, Rtype, Blazing Lazers, Gate/Lords of Thunder, and if you have the arcade card, get a copy of Sapphire. It's the equivalent of Radiant on the Saturn. I almost went to Italy to buy an original copy of Sapphire for $700 over 10 years ago. You can get very nice bootleg clone copies of Sapphire for $60 bucks now. Some people try to pawn clones as originals, so it's not worth seeking an original if you are into that sort of thing. I have a lot of Japanese imports and had I known about the future collectability of some of these titles I would have kept all the spine cards. I could kick myself for that now, but those games aren't going anywhere.

If you like Musha on the Genesis, try Spriggan on PC Engine. My favorite shooter on Genesis was probably Gaires or Thunderforce3.

It's not shmup, but a beautiful game, but if you like platform games on the PC Engine, you must play Dracula X. Why NEC did not bring that to the USA just makes no sense. PC engine was my favorite system overall.

So many good PC engine shmups never made it to the USA, same for Saturn, and all the other consoles.

#31 7 years ago

Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:Ever played M.U.S.H.A. on the genesis? Its pretty freakin great.

Certainly have, and yes it is. All the Aleste games are bollock-shrivellingly impressive for the hardware they run on, but none more so than Super Aleste on the SNES.

Love the vertical shmups. Musha is real good. Spriggan on PC engine is remarkably similar but you need the CD add-on to play it. Or the Magic Engine emulator.

Also pretty much anything made by Hudson Soft is a safe bet.

#32 7 years ago

Just wanted to drop in and give a mention for Halley's Comet. It certainly qualifies for the bullet hell category, and has some awesome music. It is also one of those games that once you lose your first life, you are pretty much done, as it ramps the difficulty up quickly and you stand no chance once you lose your powerups.

EDIT: Doh, 1st post mentioned it.

Also worth noting is Prehistoric Isle in 1930. Interesting mechanic with the gun control on your plane, and like Vanguard, it does not scroll exclusively in one direction.

#33 7 years ago

Aw snap. Location near me just got a prototype of a new horizontal SHMUP called Skycurser.

#34 7 years ago

Area 88 and the version on the SNES called UN Squadron are two of my favorites.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Aw snap. Location near me just got a prototype of a new horizontal SHMUP called Skycurser.

Go play it and post some pics!

#36 7 years ago

The route operator I worked for eventually said "no more Left, Right, Fire" video games as they proliferated and caused the industry crash in 1984.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Go play it and post some pics!

I'll try to get around to it soon. I'm working a LOT of overtime this week and next week. They literally just got it in today. They're have a closed halloween party tonight...couldn't get in there even if I had someone to watch the kids when I leave in a few minutes. Argh.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

Just wanted to drop in and give a mention for Halley's Comet. It certainly qualifies for the bullet hell category, and has some awesome music. It is also one of those games that once you lose your first life, you are pretty much done, as it ramps the difficulty up quickly and you stand no chance once you lose your powerups.
» YouTube video

Nah mate, if you want the REAL 8-bit Olde Worlde equivalent of a bullet hell, it's 1943 Kai.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from gecko157:

Area 88 and the version on the SNES called UN Squadron are two of my favorites.

They also play very differently; Super NES Area 88 has a lot more depth and strategy to it and really holds up well for an early Super NES title.

I always kind of regretted that when Sega approached Capcom for CPS1 games to port to the Megadrive, they picked Forgotten Worlds and Mercs, but they also went for Mega Twins over Carrier Airwing. MD version of that would have rocked.

#40 7 years ago

Another ps1 title that I love is Geki-oh
There was a retro color pallet you could choose, it was a ton of fun

#41 7 years ago

They also play very differently; Super NES Area 88 has a lot more depth and strategy to it and really holds up well for an early Super NES title.
I always kind of regretted that when Sega approached Capcom for CPS1 games to port to the Megadrive, they picked Forgotten Worlds and Mercs, but they also went for Mega Twins over Carrier Airwing. MD version of that would have rocked.

I'm aware, that is why I named both of them.

#42 7 years ago

I pulled out my Japanese Saturn and found copies of radiant silvergun, salamander deluxe pack plus, thunderforce gold pack 1, thunderforce V special pack and soukyugurentai.....can anyone recommend other Saturn shmups to add to my collection from the Japanese lands.

Also is it worth having some type of set top/laptop computer with Steam loaded on it to play Shmups as Aurich was recommending.....I have a 10 old outdated set up (don't really use the computer for much) and was thinking of upgrading here. I've never played a game on the Steam service as I'm more of a console gamer.

Oh and how does anyone get English instructions on these titles from over seas.....I can't read any of the menus for these games.

#43 7 years ago

Always loved pulsar and blazing star on the neo geo...picked up a Rtype LEO boardset, now I just need to get my butt in gear and get my rtype cab playable, have never played LEO

#44 7 years ago

this is my shump set up and collection

IMG_0978 (resized).JPGIMG_0978 (resized).JPG

IMG_0980 (resized).JPGIMG_0980 (resized).JPG

IMG_0979 (resized).JPGIMG_0979 (resized).JPG

IMG_0981 (resized).JPGIMG_0981 (resized).JPG

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I pulled out my Japanese Saturn and found copies of radiant silvergun, salamander deluxe pack plus, thunderforce gold pack 1, thunderforce V special pack and soukyugurentai.....can anyone recommend other Saturn shmups to add to my collection from the Japanese lands.
Also is it worth having some type of set top/laptop computer with Steam loaded on it to play Shmups as Aurich was recommending.....I have a 10 old outdated set up (don't really use the computer for much) and was thinking of upgrading here. I've never played a game on the Steam service as I'm more of a console gamer.
Oh and how does anyone get English instructions on these titles from over seas.....I can't read any of the menus for these games.

Taito are well supported; Darius 2 and Darius Gaiden should be easy to find, they also put out Gun Frontier and Metal Black, Gekirindan, Rayforce and Kyukyoku Tiger 2.

Psikyo gave the system Strikers 1945 I and II, Gunbird, and the ninja-themed shooters whose names I forget offhand. The spirit of Aero Fighters also lives on in Sonic Wings Special.

Toaplan / Cave put out Donpachi, DoDonPachi and Batsugun Special.

For Raizing, you can't say no to Battle Garegga and Shippu Mahou Daisakusen.

There's Konami with the Gradius Deluxe Pack, Twinbee Deluxe Pack and all the Parodiuses of course.

I'll also throw a couple of wild cards into the mix: the Saturn versions of Tempest 2000 and Galaxy Force 2.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

Always loved pulsar and blazing star on the neo geo...

Now I BONUS BONUS have BONUS Blazing Star BONUS stuck BONUS in my BONUS head. I can't BONUS possibly imagine BONUS BONUS why.

#47 7 years ago

For any looking for manuals or control schemes for the import titles like requested a few posts ago, you can find many of them at www.gamefaqs.com

Search by title or system, find the title you need and go to the FAQs link for it. Lots of great info on that site.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Saturn shmups... I have copies of them all
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters

Steam is great, you can get an old CRT computer monitor and turn it on its side, rotate windows, thousands of hours of fun hours.

Possibly google the game for English translation?

#49 7 years ago

Now I BONUS BONUS have BONUS Blazing Star BONUS stuck BONUS in my BONUS head. I can't BONUS possibly imagine BONUS BONUS why.

Total BONUS!!!

Quoted from Bouda:

this is my shump set up and collection

Wow! Wicked setup, really want a candy cab!... (but I want the new alien pin more)

#50 7 years ago

Nah mate, if you want the REAL 8-bit Olde Worlde equivalent of a bullet hell, it's 1943 Kai.

Yeah, the 1942 series of shooters was an all-time fave of mine.

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shmups-arcade-group and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.