Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lhyrgoif
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1599912292248 (resized).jpg
    B076E45A-E2DC-43B1-97B0-0A0729558EB1 (resized).jpeg
    double post (resized).jpg
    IMG_4519 (resized).JPG
    shattered (resized).jpg
    20180720_232151 (resized).jpg
    6-pcs-magnetics-rattlesnake (resized).jpg
    Logic (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    B5DD22E8-9372-4920-A3D7-B8A15BECA26C (resized).jpeg
    tape solder (resized).jpg
    Image1 (resized).jpg
    voltage (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    063240D0-5567-4014-8756-41A8732646B5 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 5 years ago

Clean all your fuses in an ultra sonic cleaner at least every 100 games.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Have issues with burnt up wiring? Replace it with lamp cord from the local hardware store. It's thicker so therefore more reliable. Also, the next owner will know they don't need to worry about it since it is clearly nice new wire that's been replaced. I always keep a spool on hand for any repairs. It's especially handy to use when creating a jumper on the logic board to fix acid damage.

Use old speaker wire instead. You can see thru the insulation so you know the copper is good

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Use old speaker wire instead. You can see thru the insulation so you know the copper is good

Ohh...and if you are hooking up speakers (pinball, jukebox, or other) with said speaker wire, use the thinnest wire you can because it has lower resistance. ESPECIALLY for long runs or within walls/ceilings!

-No joke on this one, I actually had known an operator that believed this to be truly good practice!!

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

"Want to have a perfectly clean and shiny playfield? Water, dish detergent, a little elbow grease and then a whole lotta mothu fuckin' Pledge..."
    -Vid's guide, probably

If only you could modify a dishwasher to be deeper!

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Don't know if you're getting current to that component and frustrated that you can't visually tell? Throw a bucket of water on it - especially for those pesky boards in the backbox. They get really dirty over the years and could probably use a good wash anyways.

I always prefer to take the backglass out and just drive thru the car wash....touchless of course just to be safe!!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

OK, I will admit as a 16 year old kid I took this exact advice on everything on the back door of a 70's Williams/United puck bowler. When I plugged it in I touched some of the Zep contact cleaner. 110 volts and me on my ass, I decided never to do that again!

Sweet tote!

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

So my dad came over last night and I asked him how he was enjoying the EBD I just gave him. He said he liked the game but the right flipper was sticking but not to worry because he 'fixed it' with a heavy coat of WD-40. So in the spirit of fun lets all share our best shitty repair tips.
    Disclaimer: Please don't actually use any of these.
    I'll start.
    If you have a pesky fuse that just keep blowing, a handy tip is to just take a piece of aluminum foil, roll it up into a solid metal piece and replace the fuse that keeps blowing.

That 16 year old or so era put some WD on my first EM...which was in my friend's parent's basement....at least I was able to unplug it and blow the flame out!

Must not have used enough

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from Houkaka:

In the case where you've cut your wire too short, just cut the desired length of speaker wire needed.
    Reason for that was explaned previously by this gentlemen

Then remove at least an inch of insulation from each wire that you want to connect together (teeth works just fine for that) and twist the copper together in a wire connector as shown bellow, just make sure to twist it a lot just like with screws.
    If you don't have any wire connector, don't worry since you can also use e-tape.
    you could even consider leaving it bare without e-tape since dust will make a protective coat over it with time.

ESPECIALLY good after head removal as mentioned!

Quoted from Axl:

When removing backbox, remember to cut all the cables.
    For easier install later, make sure you cut out at least a foot of cable.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Crash -
    That's the picture I was thinking of when I made my comment. I didn't have time to search for it. Glad you found it. If I remember the source, they were unhappy with everyone telling them they should not clean a playfield that way. They said they cleaned lots of them that way and never had any problems.
    It may have been in the old RGP threads.

I did show up at a guy's house to cheaply purchase ALL the guts of a CC EM...
    Turned out it was a still VERY nice game he bought at an auction then gutted the goddamn thing to make a virtual pin in cabinet

Anyway....he had the cabinet completely soaked sitting verticle in drive when I showed up...basically giving it a total hose job....and I mean SOAKED.

To top it off....he told me, as I was handed parts from him, that he went ahead and cut some wires to take it apart.

Shit you not- game destroyed, cabinet soaked, and harnesses to everything hacked off. Not even cleanly. Plus, like right at Jones plugs so GFL splicing etc

Now then.....off to buy a shit ton of used speaker wire on ebay, and cheapest wire nuts I can find. Or maybe I'll go get some high quality electrical tape from the dollar store

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Wait... what?
    Straps? Dollies? Just pull off the legs (easy with only 1 bolt per leg) and slide that puppy down the stairs.

If you set cardboard on stairs and use those little skate wheels under feet, you don't even have to take legs off.

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

No need to pull the cup off. I have been thrown 8' or more reaching in a Space Invaders and a Pac Man from the muscle spasm from getting hit with the full seCONdary from the flyback. Once in a bowling alley and once in a bar.

I hear you...
    Pull galaga out from wall, take back door off, start wiggling some connectors around to try to figure out why red going on and off, get side of hand across wrong thing, repair hole hand left in pool hall's drywall behind game...

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

If you have a RFM, SWE1, baby pacman, granny and the gators or caveman. To check monitor power. Turn the game on, and pull the flyback suction cup out. It works even better if you are real sweaty or standing in a puddle.

With that said. Best shitty repair tip would be go ahead and leave that suction cup laying on PC motherboard while working on that RFM powered up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shitty-repair-tips?tu=pacmanretro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.