Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lhyrgoif
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1599912292248 (resized).jpg
    B076E45A-E2DC-43B1-97B0-0A0729558EB1 (resized).jpeg
    double post (resized).jpg
    IMG_4519 (resized).JPG
    shattered (resized).jpg
    20180720_232151 (resized).jpg
    6-pcs-magnetics-rattlesnake (resized).jpg
    Logic (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    B5DD22E8-9372-4920-A3D7-B8A15BECA26C (resized).jpeg
    tape solder (resized).jpg
    Image1 (resized).jpg
    voltage (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    063240D0-5567-4014-8756-41A8732646B5 (resized).png
    There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 5 years ago

So my dad came over last night and I asked him how he was enjoying the EBD I just gave him. He said he liked the game but the right flipper was sticking but not to worry because he 'fixed it' with a heavy coat of WD-40. So in the spirit of fun lets all share our best shitty repair tips.
    Disclaimer: Please don't actually use any of these.

I'll start.

If you have a pesky fuse that just keep blowing, a handy tip is to just take a piece of aluminum foil, roll it up into a solid metal piece and replace the fuse that keeps blowing.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

If you have a pesky fuse that just keep blowing, a handy tip is to just take a piece of aluminum foil, roll it up into a solid metal piece and replace the fuse that keeps blowing.

Wait...... this isn't a real fix??? this is what you told me to do last week when I asked about the fuse in my Mata Hari and I trusted you!!!

#3 5 years ago

A great way to remove ball swirl marks is to use Windex and a magic eraser. Make sure not to be too gentle or you won't get the proper results. Works even better on non clear coated PFs.

#4 5 years ago

A real trick of the trade that the pros use is to pack the light sockets with automotive light bulb grease if they are flickering due to a poor connection.

#5 5 years ago

Have a 2 prong outlet and a grounded cord? Just cut off that ground prong, grounding is over rated anyway.

#6 5 years ago

B233D090-30FD-4B40-878D-1FF5363C2B12 (resized).jpegB233D090-30FD-4B40-878D-1FF5363C2B12 (resized).jpeg

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

Have a 2 prong outlet and a grounded cord? Just cut off that ground prong, grounding is over rated anyway.

How else will I plug my game into this rat-chewed extension cord from the 60s?

#8 5 years ago

If you have a two prong polarized plug, just file the fat prong down so it will fit the socket either way.
    If your game keeps blowing a fuse, just put a bigger fuse in. That's why they make multiple sizes. Keep trying until you find one that does not blow.

#9 5 years ago

On barn find EMs, a great way to save time is to not dissemble and clean the steppers and relays, but to simply spray everything down in a heavy coat of contact cleaner. Make sure to power the game back up while it it still moist for the most effective cleaning.

#10 5 years ago

If the score motor on an EM keeps running when you go to start a game it is not resetting properly.

So while it is running spray a liberal about of contact cleaned on those relays.

(Edit: beat me to the contact cleaner post while I was getting a picture)

ccfire2 (resized).jpgccfire2 (resized).jpg

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

So my dad came over last night and I asked him how he was enjoying the EBD I just gave him. He said he liked the game but the right flipper was sticking but not to worry because he 'fixed it' with a heavy coat of WD-40. So in the spirit of fun lets all share our best shitty repair tips.
    Disclaimer: Please don't actually use any of these.
    I'll start.

I just bought a game with the exact same thing, left flipper was sticky, the coil stop had broke, so the guy oiled it up lol, never seen that before..

#12 5 years ago

When flame polishing ramps, apply heat until the surface just begins to bubble. This is how you know you've applied enough heat.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

If the score motor on an EM keeps running when you go to start a game it is not resetting properly.
    So while it is running spray a liberal about of contact cleaned on those relays.
    (Edit: beat me to the contact cleaner post while I was getting a picture)

Well yours is way better

#14 5 years ago

Don't bother turning off your machine when changing bulbs. You can see what you're working on so much better, and the chance of shorting something is really small.

#15 5 years ago

Replace all missing screws with thick wood screws drilled into the playfield to make sure they dont get loose.

#16 5 years ago

The best time to move a pin into the basement is after a few beers, late at night, with no dolly.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from ruzeo:

Replace all missing screws with thick wood screws drilled into the playfield to make sure they dont get loose.

This also works at making the game easier by just drilling a few drywalls screws to block where the ball goes down the drain. It really improves scores.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

A great way to remove ball swirl marks is to use Windex and a magic eraser. Make sure not to be too gentle or you won't get the proper results. Works even better on non clear coated PFs.

If you're not getting the desired results, swap the magic eraser for sandpaper.

#19 5 years ago

Use plain old plate glass when you replace playfield and translite glass. Tempered glass is a waste of money.
    Or use a sheet of beat up, old, cracked, scratched, yellowed plexiglass.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Or use a sheet of beat up, old, cracked, scratched, yellowed plexiglass.

The thinner the better! You want some "flex".

#21 5 years ago

Ever have a connector that was burned from all that GI amperage running through it?

Forget about replacing it - That's for chumps!

Just solder the wires directly to the header pins - you will never have to trouble with burned connectors again

#22 5 years ago

You can save a lot of money on a good soldering iron if you just wrap exposed wire around coil lugs a bunch of times. It's not like there's a lot of moving parts that would cause it to fly off, shorting everything in its path.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from songofsixpence:

Ever have a connector that was burned from all that GI amperage running through it?
    Forget about replacing it - That's for chumps!
    Just solder the wires directly to the header pins - you will never have to trouble with burned connectors again

In my experience, this works best if you do it in a manner that's slightly different from how it was pinned originally, so the next owner has to spend 12 hours trying to figure out how to repin it and what exactly you did. It's like a fun game.

#24 5 years ago

Have issues with burnt up wiring? Replace it with lamp cord from the local hardware store. It's thicker so therefore more reliable. Also, the next owner will know they don't need to worry about it since it is clearly nice new wire that's been replaced. I always keep a spool on hand for any repairs. It's especially handy to use when creating a jumper on the logic board to fix acid damage.

#25 5 years ago

Lacquer Thinner cleans everything.

#26 5 years ago

When finding random molex connectors inside a game that match the mod you just bought on eBay... plug those suckers in without checking the instructions or voltages; all matched connectors always carry compatible electric juices.

#28 5 years ago

Fuses cost money, metal rod is cheap and never fails.

If a 3 amp fuse blows, stick in a 20 amp.

All you need for tools is pliers, screw driver - only one - make it work, duct tape, and drywall screws.

Circuit board doesn't quite fit, don't turn it or find the right spot, cut off enough to make it work.

LTG : )

#29 5 years ago

At the risk of stealing Nerdygrrl's thunder, timing was too good,
    loose connections, try toothpicks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nerdygrrl-gets-knighted/page/2#post-4498497

toothpicks (resized).jpgtoothpicks (resized).jpg
    #30 5 years ago

Use simple green and a power washer to get those really stubborn marks off the playfield.

#31 5 years ago

When asking for help. Don't tell the whole story, like what you did. And make lots of mistakes and use the wrong names for parts.

Makes help so much more interesting.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Use simple green and a power washer to get those really stubborn marks off the playfield.

Wrong. Goof Off is best. Removes everything.

#33 5 years ago

use rubbing alcohol to clean all your pop bumper caps - works much better than plain old water

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Wrong. Goof Off is best. Removes everything.

Dot 3 brake fluid works on playfields, plastics, cabinets and powder coated legs, rails, hinges and lockdown bars.

#35 5 years ago

When you see that Houdini at the pinball convention has a long line, make sure you select a 4 player game even if it's just for yourself. You'll really get to know the software that way. Bonus points for putting your plastic cup of warm beer right on the playfield glass. Oh, and slap that machine around like it owes you money. For those 40 minutes, you own that machine, let everyone know it.

#36 5 years ago

When replacing a transistor.. just snip the old one off at the legs and solder the new on to the old...

31DA4EEA-B906-445C-BB3C-B65B59406EF3 (resized).png31DA4EEA-B906-445C-BB3C-B65B59406EF3 (resized).png
    #37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

When replacing a transistor.. just snip the old one off at the legs and solder the new on to the old...

I am actually impressed. This is a pretty neat job and a lot harder to do than doing it right.

I'm wondering if the person lifted a few traces in the past and is gun shy about cleaning out the holes.

#38 5 years ago

Flippers not working? take them off and use toiler paper rolls and your hands to knock the ball around the playfield. This brings a new dimension of fun to the game.

#39 5 years ago

always wrap your fuses in aluminum foil, keeps em "fresher"

#40 5 years ago

If the coins get stuck in the coin slots, pick the machine up by the front as far as you can. Then let go!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I am actually impressed. This is a pretty neat job and a lot harder to do than doing it right.
    I'm wondering if the person lifted a few traces in the past and is gun shy about cleaning out the holes.

Nope, didn’t even work. Had the corresponding row of lights out when I got the machine.
    Thankfully he/she didnt “try” to do it properly and possibly lift traces.

#42 5 years ago

When removing backbox, remember to cut all the cables.
    For easier install later, make sure you cut out at least a foot of cable.

#43 5 years ago

Hole stripped out, just use a bigger screw!

#44 5 years ago

How has this thread gone this long without someone mentioning drywall screws?

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

How has this thread gone this long without someone mentioning drywall screws?

Post #28

#46 5 years ago

Clean all your fuses in an ultra sonic cleaner at least every 100 games.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Have issues with burnt up wiring? Replace it with lamp cord from the local hardware store. It's thicker so therefore more reliable. Also, the next owner will know they don't need to worry about it since it is clearly nice new wire that's been replaced. I always keep a spool on hand for any repairs. It's especially handy to use when creating a jumper on the logic board to fix acid damage.

Use old speaker wire instead. You can see thru the insulation so you know the copper is good

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Use old speaker wire instead. You can see thru the insulation so you know the copper is good

Ohh...and if you are hooking up speakers (pinball, jukebox, or other) with said speaker wire, use the thinnest wire you can because it has lower resistance. ESPECIALLY for long runs or within walls/ceilings!

-No joke on this one, I actually had known an operator that believed this to be truly good practice!!

#49 5 years ago

Duck tape it!!

063240D0-5567-4014-8756-41A8732646B5 (resized).png063240D0-5567-4014-8756-41A8732646B5 (resized).png
    #50 5 years ago

To see if auto fire works just push switch wire down in ball trough.

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shitty-repair-tips?hl=ruzeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.