Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lhyrgoif
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1599912292248 (resized).jpg
    B076E45A-E2DC-43B1-97B0-0A0729558EB1 (resized).jpeg
    double post (resized).jpg
    IMG_4519 (resized).JPG
    shattered (resized).jpg
    20180720_232151 (resized).jpg
    6-pcs-magnetics-rattlesnake (resized).jpg
    Logic (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    B5DD22E8-9372-4920-A3D7-B8A15BECA26C (resized).jpeg
    tape solder (resized).jpg
    Image1 (resized).jpg
    voltage (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    063240D0-5567-4014-8756-41A8732646B5 (resized).png

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 5 years ago

Novus 2 is a playfield wax.

Apply it liberally until it clumps up in every nook of every star post. That's when you know you have a good coat of wax.

Don't wipe it up, just kinda smush it around a bit. This makes changing balls completely unnecessary.

#52 5 years ago

Can’t wait to see some of these posts show up in google search results.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

If you have a pesky fuse that just keep blowing, a handy tip is to just take a piece of aluminum foil, roll it up into a solid metal piece and replace the fuse that keeps blowing.

A friend did this with my first pinball machine and some coil blew and caught on fire in the backbox. Needless to say never again.

#54 5 years ago

You hear a coil lock on when you turn on your machine, but don't know which one it is? Just leave the power on -- the smoke will make it easier to find.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Wait...... this isn't a real fix??? this is what you told me to do last week when I asked about the fuse in my Mata Hari and I trusted you!!!

No, you're good. He just forgot step two. Wait until something starts smoking, then you know what to replace. Solid advice..

#56 5 years ago

"Want to have a perfectly clean and shiny playfield? Water, dish detergent, a little elbow grease and then a whole lotta mothu fuckin' Pledge..."

-Vid's guide, probably

#57 5 years ago

I once fixed a WABAC (Rocky and Bullwinkle) ramp with duct tape..... That was about 23 years ago... Duct tape fixes a lot of stuff!

Rob

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

"Want to have a perfectly clean and shiny playfield? Water, dish detergent, a little elbow grease and then a whole lotta mothu fuckin' Pledge..."
    -Vid's guide, probably

If only you could modify a dishwasher to be deeper!

#59 5 years ago

Rust on your Pinballs, helps clean the playfield of the clumps of wax you just left, the wax will make your balls shine!

https://coub.com/view/ahkaw

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #60 5 years ago

Broken, worn out rubber rings? Plain ol' rubber bands will get that game back up and running. Also, use them to block off the outlanes and show that drain monster who's boss.

#61 5 years ago

If your leaf switches are not registering file them clean with sand paper (I actually did this....once)

#62 5 years ago

What? You mean the back box has mounting screws? Oh... well no wonder it was so hard to get off!

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

If your leaf switches are not registering file them clean with sand paper (I actually did this....once)

Is 60 grit safe for this?

#64 5 years ago

Nails are a good replacement for missing screws

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #65 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:Is 60 grit safe for this?

Not sure what grit I used but had to order new switches

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

Not sure what grit I used but had to order new switches

Haha that’s ok. I was being sarcastic

#67 5 years ago

Don't know if you're getting current to that component and frustrated that you can't visually tell? Throw a bucket of water on it - especially for those pesky boards in the backbox. They get really dirty over the years and could probably use a good wash anyways.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Don't know if you're getting current to that component and frustrated that you can't visually tell? Throw a bucket of water on it - especially for those pesky boards in the backbox. They get really dirty over the years and could probably use a good wash anyways.

I always prefer to take the backglass out and just drive thru the car wash....touchless of course just to be safe!!

#69 5 years ago

“Steel wool will work wonders on any metal in the game, your lockdown bar will never look the same again”

Quoted from Rondogg:

-Vid's guide, probably

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

On barn find EMs, a great way to save time is to not dissemble and clean the steppers and relays, but to simply spray everything down in a heavy coat of contact cleaner. Make sure to power the game back up while it it still moist for the most effective cleaning.

OK, I will admit as a 16 year old kid I took this exact advice on everything on the back door of a 70's Williams/United puck bowler. When I plugged it in I touched some of the Zep contact cleaner. 110 volts and me on my ass, I decided never to do that again!

voltage (resized).jpgvoltage (resized).jpg
    #71 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

OK, I will admit as a 16 year old kid I took this exact advice on everything on the back door of a 70's Williams/United puck bowler. When I plugged it in I touched some of the Zep contact cleaner. 110 volts and me on my ass, I decided never to do that again!

Sweet tote!

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

So my dad came over last night and I asked him how he was enjoying the EBD I just gave him. He said he liked the game but the right flipper was sticking but not to worry because he 'fixed it' with a heavy coat of WD-40. So in the spirit of fun lets all share our best shitty repair tips.
    Disclaimer: Please don't actually use any of these.
    I'll start.
    If you have a pesky fuse that just keep blowing, a handy tip is to just take a piece of aluminum foil, roll it up into a solid metal piece and replace the fuse that keeps blowing.

That 16 year old or so era put some WD on my first EM...which was in my friend's parent's basement....at least I was able to unplug it and blow the flame out!

Must not have used enough

#73 5 years ago

Legs don’t need 2 bolts each, the second one is a redundant backup. Also torque em down REAL TIGHT. If the legs isn’t digging into the cab they ain’t tight enough.

#74 5 years ago

Oh my God I’ve actually done some of these.

#75 5 years ago

I've got a good one.

Piss a guy off, and then ask him for help with your game.

LTG : )

#76 5 years ago

Never change batteries, the older the better.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Never change batteries, the older the better.

When selling the game, make sure to show how old the existing batteries were it shows the quality of the manufacturing of the boards. Bonus points for showing how few plays it had with those imamaculate batteries in it.

#78 5 years ago

Also when selling an older game point out the green stuff on the batteries as just patina.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Also when selling an older game point out the green stuff on the batteries as just patina.

The brown on all the metal parts is just patina too.

LTG : )

#80 5 years ago

If the upper flipper is not working on your Meteor, you can always run two wires from the bottom flipper coil to the upper coil . . . right?

#81 5 years ago

When disassembling things on the playfield, just put the hardware on the playfield. There’s no way those screws and nuts are rolling into a scoop, ball trough, etc..

#82 5 years ago

When a light bulb burns out replace it with the brightest led bulb you can find.
    Bonus points if you use colored leds that match nothing on your playfield.

#83 5 years ago

When working on an EM, you should always leave it plugged in and with the switch turned on. Especially if doing repairs around the transformer with long metal tools.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from fanuminski:

use rubbing alcohol to clean all your pop bumper caps - works much better than plain old water

I'll admit to doing this once, and only once.

#85 5 years ago

Can't find those pesky part numbers when you need to order? No problem, Pinball Resource is your friend! Call Steve and he'll be more than glad to track down all sorts of obscure parts based on your guesses and unclear descriptions in a patient and cheerful manner.

(please note that this is only kidding, I have never had a problem with PBR even when I did not have part numbers)

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

When finding random molex connectors inside a game that match the mod you just bought on eBay... plug those suckers in without checking the instructions or voltages; all matched connectors always carry compatible electric juices.

Screw you buddy I only did that so I could upgrade to a red display

#87 5 years ago

Tip 1: Your game will stand just fine on three legs without extra support while you look for a tool.

I did that once and...TIMBER! Luckily it fell onto the armor of the game next to it with only minor damage, but I got a couple of bruises trying to “catch” it.

Tip 2: If tip 1 doesn’t work, throw your body in front of the tipping pinball machine to cushion the fall, but only if you have adequate health insurance.

Tip 3: If tip 2 doesn’t work, at least your cause of death (“crushed by pinball machine”) will be unique.

#88 5 years ago

If you are not sure if you are getting power your tongue is better than a multi meter.

#89 5 years ago

Cut ground post off plug and play machine with bare feet on wet tile, it's more fun this way.

#90 5 years ago

Need to reflow your boards fast? Two minutes in the microwave. Don't forget to flip them over after the first minute

(the sparks mean it's working)

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from songofsixpence:

Ever have a connector that was burned from all that GI amperage running through it?
    Forget about replacing it - That's for chumps!
    Just solder the wires directly to the header pins - you will never have to trouble with burned connectors again

And you don't waste money on new connectors...

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Is 60 grit safe for this?

To be sure I'd go with 40 grit, should be quicker.

#93 5 years ago

When you buy your first new machine, make sure you buy a bunch of color matched LED's to put behind the back glass to really make it "pop"!

#94 5 years ago

Do not replace old rusty or pitted pinballs. They add character to the game. The Millennium Falcon is not new and shiny, is it? Your pinballs should not be as well.

If you are going to take pictures of a machine for sale, remove the legs first and place the machine on a cardboard covered driveway first.

Remove the prop bar for the playfield as it is completely, and utterly useless. Just put the playfield all the way up until it rests against the backbox. Trust me, it won't fall. Have you ever seen one come crashing down from lets say, bumping the machine? me neither.

Sandpaper is good for cleaning plastics, but be sure to only use it on the paint side where the plastic will be protected. If you use it on the top, they will get hazy and scratchy, and it will obscure the image.

Powder coating is overrated. Good old rattle can paint from the Dollar store is just as durable. Blast a few coats on wireforms and you are good to go.

A thin coating of motor oil speeds up play on any game. Add some to a rag and apply liberally to the playfield and then wipe it down. No need to wait for it to dry like wax, because it probably never will. If you get it on metal it is an added bonus because it will prevent rust, and your game will have enough character already because of the rusty balls in it. Plus it is not as noticeable as wax on star posts.

A bench grinder works wonders to spruce up a crappy shooter lane. A good rule of thumb is that when you see smoke, you know that it is working.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

When replacing a transistor.. just snip the old one off at the legs and solder the new on to the old...

hehe. a friend mine has a plasma tv and in one of their official service bulletins, they tell you to do that exact same procedure for changing the 3 small capacitors instead of properly removing and soldering new ones in

#96 5 years ago

Not really a repair tip, but more of a word of advice. My avatar is a copyrighted image. If anyone uses it without permission, I will ask you to submit your personal info via a PM and I will get a legal, non rusty ball rolling, and I will sue you.

#97 5 years ago

Black duct tape over the DMD cuts down glare on the playfield glass. When you drain your last ball, you can just peel back the tape to see your final score, and then reapply for the next game. If you still have the motor oil rag, give the DMD a quick once over, that way the tape will lose some of its stick, and it will be easier to see your score when your game is done.

Duct tape can also be used to reinforce speaker cones especially if they are flimsy. Apply it before the cone gets damaged, that way you are assured of premium sound.

Duct tape the translite in place, DO NOT USE THE PLASTIC CHANNELS TO HOLD IT ONTO THE GLASS. If you have to ask why, you have no right working on a pinball machine.

Fender washers are ugly when used to prevent slingshot plastic damage. So are the clear unbreakable discs that some companies "convince" you that you need. ( What a moneymaking crock that is. ) A few layers of duct tape on the underside of them, and they will be practically bullet proof. The darker the tape, the stronger it is so make sure that you use black, or the camo tape. Just don't drop them upside down in a forest, or you might have trouble locating them.

Got a machine on location? place some duct tape over the coin slot or bill acceptor, and the machine will get less play. Reports of 600 plays in 12 years using this method has worked for lots of operators.

Wrap circuit boards in duct tape to prevent battery acid damage, and keep them looking imamaculate.

#98 5 years ago

I always try to play machines in major lightning storms it gives my flippers more power.

#99 5 years ago

Don’t know how to solder? No big deal. Just use hot glue. Solder is just like metal glue anyways, right?

#100 5 years ago

If you need to keep your cannon level with the playfield in a Black Rose machine, a few good whacks with a 16 lb. sledge hammer does wonders.

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shitty-repair-tips/page/2?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.