Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Leeb18509
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I've agreed to sell a game and ship it via STI (buyer arranges shipping), but I've never done it before, so was hoping someone could give me more info about what to expect and prep for.

My house doesn't have a porch or garage, and is a split level where the front door opens to a small landing with some steps up and down. Game is currently on lower floor.

Seller wants it shipped on the legs, said to just pad the head and fold it down, STI would handle wrapping it, etc. I assume STI won't want to carry it up the stairs out of my house? If I were able to fit it on the landing right inside the front door, would they carry it down the two steps outside (I can help carry if necessary), or would they want it already at ground level? I'm having trouble picturing how this usually works.

How punctual are they usually? I've heard stories about some shippers showing up before even the early end of the window given.

Worst case scenario I'm going to need to fold the game up, bring it up the stairs and outside into the sun, then put it back on legs and cover it until they arrive, and I'd rather not have it sitting out there longer than necessary...

I'm going to try to have a friend handy that day to help do whatever is needed but with the unreliable timing of the shippers that's hard to do

#2 5 years ago

I’ve shipped lots of games through STI, so here is my advice through experience.

1. Make sure they have your cell. The driver should contact you about an hour beforehand, but this is hit or miss. STI is usually pretty good about calling you for the scheduled day.

2. Despite what they tell you, assume that one person will show up for your game. This person will have no idea what they’re picking up, have no help, no packing supplies, and they will usually be wearing some kind of back or arm brace from a moving injury.

3. Pack the game yourself. Use lots of cardboard, shrink wrap and moving blankets. Take tons of pictures before you wrap and after for insurance.

4. Get insurance. It’s cheap and will keep everyone covered.

5. As long as you help, stairs shouldn’t be a problem.

STI is great as long as you know what to expect... which is to prep the game yourself and help move it to the truck.

#3 5 years ago

yeah I would echo the packing part big time. They will tell you the STI guys will pack it up. Wrong. Make sure you wrap it well and pack it too. I've had people show up with a blanket and call it a day and if it weren't for me packing it up there would have been a problem.

#4 5 years ago

Doesn't it negate the insurance if you pack it yourself? I've always let them do their thing but with guidance for the newbies. But, yes have all the material you might need on hand. Cornerboard, shrinkwrap, etc...

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Doesn't it negate the insurance if you pack it yourself? I've always let them do their thing but with guidance for the newbies. But, yes have all the material you might need on hand. Cornerboard, shrinkwrap, etc...

Not at all. As long as you take pictures, you can provide proof of condition prior to shipping. If STI takes your game, it means it’s packed appropriately. In my experience, many drivers don’t have the background to pack a pinball machine.

Likewise, you’re probably number six on a list of ten stops. He’s by himself and doesn’t have time to pack the game.

#6 5 years ago

Do not wrap it up before they pick it up. Otherwise they can't see and document the condition and will mark it as such on the paperwork, making claims later much more difficult if there is damage.

I've shipped hundreds of games with them and posted about it before but here is the short version...

Each local crew is different. Ideally they should call you in advance (if you request it), arrive in time window or close to it, and have blankets and wrap on hand.

They will take it from a ground floor level. A few threshold steps is usually fine. Leave legs on, head up and let them document. Then instruct/assist them in cushioning head when lowering it and wrapping 2 or 3 more blankets onto the machine. Make sure they only mark actual damage, and wrapped by carrier. Screw in levelers most of the way so they don't get caught or spin off. And tip the guys a little if they do everything well.

#7 5 years ago

I've shipped a dozen or so games with them, they've blanket wrapped and then shrink wrapped everytime. Just make sure you put something under the head when you fold down, if not the side rails may get dented. Also tell the buyer to inspect game upon arrival and notate any shipping damage on the bill before he signs.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Not at all. As long as you take pictures, you can provide proof of condition prior to shipping. If STI takes your game, it means it’s packed appropriately. In my experience, many drivers don’t have the background to pack a pinball machine.
    Likewise, you’re probably number six on a list of ten stops. He’s by himself and doesn’t have time to pack the game.

It does not - exactly what he is saying. For the guys not wrapping these games for people - I'm glad I'm not your buyer!!

#9 5 years ago

I always pack up the games myself with STI.

#10 5 years ago

It’s VERY important to understand that STI is not a monolithic company - they engage local drivers for each area. And the local drivers can make or break the experience. Don’t expect they will pack it, as others have said, and take lots of photos.

Also (this is more for your buyer), If you pay the $100 to have the driver help you move it.. well you’ve just wasted your money. Just tip the guys when they arrive and don’t mess with it up front. They will always say “well don’t know anything about moving it, nobody told us...”

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Do not wrap it up before they pick it up. Otherwise they can't see and document the condition and will mark it as such on the paperwork, making claims later much more difficult if there is damage.
    I've shipped hundreds of games with them and posted about it before but here is the short version...
    Each local crew is different. Ideally they should call you in advance (if you request it), arrive in time window or close to it, and have blankets and wrap on hand.
    They will take it from a ground floor level. A few threshold steps is usually fine. Leave legs on, head up and let them document. Then instruct/assist them in cushioning head when lowering it and wrapping 2 or 3 more blankets onto the machine. Make sure they only mark actual damage, and wrapped by carrier. Screw in levelers most of the way so they don't get caught or spin off. And tip the guys a little if they do everything well.

This has been exactly my experience. And there's always 2 guys on the crew, never one alone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-via-sti-as-seller-first-time-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.