New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 147052)

Shipping- USPS challenges

By mrs_mezelmods

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I get asked a ton about anticipated arrival of packages, why a particular shipment is taking longer than it should. In the spirit of updating the masses, here are a few things to know about our shipping.

-USPS is by and large the most economical option for US and international shipments.

-In theory US Priority mail is the fastest however there are times where priority moves about as quickly as First Class.

-When a package looks like it is not moving, it likely wasn't scanned at that destination- give it a few more days (7 days max).

-First Class International DOES NOT track (in most cases) beyond the last US scan. This means that we wait, sometimes impatiently like you, for the package to arrive. This is the tradeoff when choosing inexpensive international shipping.

-Inquiry on the status of an International First class shipment from the US is virtually impossible. Best solution is to use your tracking number (which acts as a reference number) to inquire at your local station.

-Choose Priority International if you want to know more exactly when to expect your shipment.

We've implemented customer-based shipment choices so you can pick your poison- cheap and perhaps less consistent or more expensive and on the mark.

#2 4 years ago

Very good - I agree with all these points.

Last year, the USPS praised small businesses and said how much small businesses have saved the USPS's butt. They then thanked us by socking us with a huge price increase for the postal types that the small businesses use.
    So, having said that - beware of postal increases in January...again!
    US packages going up by something like 11% and foreign rates are going up by as much as 25%!

#3 4 years ago

USPS - My go to for domestic shipping.

#4 4 years ago

I find the best option to ship to Canada is First Class International. I can track it in the USA and Canada. I believe that it's faster than Priority. It usually gets by customs to, NO TAX, and my postie deliveries right to my door.

Quoted from mrs_mezelmods:

I
    -First Class International DOES NOT track (in most cases) beyond the last US scan. This means that we wait, sometimes impatiently like you, for the package to arrive. This is the tradeoff when choosing inexpensive international shipping.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Very good - I agree with all these points.
    Last year, the USPS praised small businesses and said how much small businesses have saved the USPS's butt. They then thanked us by socking us with a huge price increase for the postal types that the small businesses use.
    So, having said that - beware of postal increases in January...again!
    US packages going up by something like 11% and foreign rates are going up by as much as 25%!

Bah, that sucks.

And yep, rates are going up. Pthbb.

http://blog.stamps.com/2015/10/22/usps-announces-postage-rate-increase-starts-january-17-2016/

http://shippingeasy.com/usps-shipping-rates-2016-changes-4-ways-to-adapt/

#6 4 years ago

"First Class Package International Service postage rates will increase by an average of 21.6% in 2016, however Commercial Base and Plus prices will remain the same next year. The average price increases by pound are:

– Up to 1 lb. – Average Increase of $5.17"

Wow, that is quite an increase! Couldn't find any more details but that looks more like way more than a 20% increase for light packages. Not going to be good for International sales.

On the bright side - they have been adding Delivery Confirmation (EDelCon service) for many countries which is a good thing.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

They then thanked us by socking us with a huge price increase for the postal types that the small businesses use.

Still the cheapest option out there...better rates than FedEx or UPS and they serve the entire U.S. UPS and FedEx actually use USPS to cover more area that they don't. I send 100 packages or so a month and rarely, if ever had an issue.

#8 4 years ago

Thank you for posting this, Mrs Mod!

Yes, all vendors spend hours answering the same email over and over....Patience guys!
    We cant make the post office do anything!

#9 4 years ago

I ship 10 to 20 packages per day with USPS. I have had several get lost this year, as well as many without tracking updates for 3 to 5 days. Customers get nervous, but packages get there eventually. I'd say 95% or better arrive in a timely manner.

Would be nice if missed tracking scans were less frequent... Have a RottenDog MPU coming to me Priority Mail that was due 3 days ago, finally scanned for first time in 4 days tonight. Gotta love holiday delays.

USPS is still the absolute best option for many packages.

#10 4 years ago

Will be nice to have that option for first class parcels in the 13-16oz range, if I read things right. But damn is international getting expensive. Might have to up my rates, and I know the cost is hurting sales as it is.

#11 4 years ago

I have had some USPS delays in 2015 with first class and priority mail. It is better for me now in columbus ohio than it was 6 months back or so. For a while all first class mail was taking 5+ business days, some even 7 days to go 100 miles. Priority mail 2 day label was taking 4 business days etc... The way they update tracking numbers now it can make it look like you didnt drop the package off on time. The first few scans on USPS tracking information is labeled in a confusing way. Probably purposely done to make it look like USPS isnt sitting on a package in the origin city's distribution center for days before it goes out.

Has anyone else noticed eBay has changed there estimated delivery dates with first class? Probably so many people complaining about delays...

#12 4 years ago

It IS a week before Christmas as well remember...nothing will be on time from anybody due to the massive volume. On demand culture is to blame for all this impatience.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Will be nice to have that option for first class parcels in the 13-16oz range, if I read things right. But damn is international getting expensive. Might have to up my rates, and I know the cost is hurting sales as it is.

Endicia, in an account of Quasi-High Volume, offers First Class in a heavier weight range.
    Id also recommend UPIC or other for discounted Insurance, per $100.

Yes, all Vendors and Customers should be ready for changes....everything going up!
    Not too bad for US based, $1.00 or so, but International is being Nailed! SAD!

Perhaps one reason to need fixing, is the $.99 products with Free shipping from China.
    It costs Pennies from China to ship here..its Govt, but our Postal carriers essentially, as they tell me, get paid nothing.
    This should be fixed. Our costs to domestic, increase, to cover the work done for Chinese Shipping....
    Add $1.00 handling there, and our rates might stay low.

#14 4 years ago

USPS is the best shipping option if it's coming to Canada. It's always the best shipping price, you don't get raped on the brokerage fees, and the service has been extremely reliable (at least from my experience).

I avoid UPS like the plague. They charge exorbitant rates for the brokerage fees, and even one time tried to charge me a fee to collect their fees! Since then, I have instituted a policy whereby I have a "Returning the Digital Signature Device Fee" that I have to charge the UPS driver. Unfortunately, I'm not able to waive the fee since it's policy. My hands are tied.

To all vendors, please, please, please! always have a USPS shipping option for shipments to Canada!

#15 4 years ago

USPS First Class might as well be "pray and hope" service.

Thanks for giving shipping options! I usually am willing to pay more shipping for a method I am comfortable with.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

its Govt, but our Postal carriers essentially, as they tell me, get paid nothing.

slave labor...that's what built our country too unfortunately. All these trade deals we've made over past 30 years essentially suck for us though.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

It IS a week before Christmas as well remember...nothing will be on time from anybody due to the massive volume. On demand culture is to blame for all this impatience.

Yep, it always amazes us by the number of people who will place an order after 11PM and then call our office at 8AM looking for a tracking number. If you want something in 1-2 days pay for expedited shipping.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

USPS is the best shipping option if it's coming to Canada. It's always the best shipping price, you don't get raped on the brokerage fees, and the service has been extremely reliable (at least from my experience).

USPS for everything to Canada. 50%+ of the time it shows up no tax. My last PinballLife order arrived 2 days after I ordered it!

#19 4 years ago

Just to share, it appears all Canada shipping is increasing $5.00 a package?

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Just to share, it appears all Canada shipping is increasing $5.00 a package?

Yikes.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Still the cheapest option out there...better rates than FedEx or UPS and they serve the entire U.S. UPS and FedEx actually use USPS to cover more area that they don't. I send 100 packages or so a month and rarely, if ever had an issue.

Agreed- no shipping is going to be perfect, especially during holiday times (US or International). We've also had very few lost packages over the years.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

I avoid UPS like the plague. They charge exorbitant rates for the brokerage fees, and even one time tried to charge me a fee to collect their fees! Since then, I have instituted a policy whereby I have a "Returning the Digital Signature Device Fee" that I have to charge the UPS driver. Unfortunately, I'm not able to waive the fee since it's policy. My hands are tied.
    To all vendors, please, please, please! always have a USPS shipping option for shipments to Canada!

Happy to see that this shipping option is working for Canada! Now if it would be as successful to Australia, Germany and the UK!

#23 4 years ago

Today alone I've answered three of these tracking questions- none of which any definitive information is available.

Best plan at this time of year is to be patient!

#24 4 years ago

The biggest thing to realize is that the shipper does not have nor can get any more information than what is shown on the tracking page.

I have seen packages get there quicker, on time or take a scenic detour but they all seem to get there eventually.

#25 4 years ago

Best i can tell what is happening is USPS is waiting for trucks to get full. Even if that means your package sits at the original sorting center for days. They fluff the tracking info to make it confusing enough that maybe the shipper made a label but didnt drop it off. Sometimes stuff going out west will leave my sorting center the same day. Some times they sit for days. Same with stuff going 100 miles.

#26 4 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has a theory on a package I'm waiting for USPS to deliver right now. Picked up in Almont, MI(east of Flint) on 12/16. Delivery is to Muskegon, MI,west of Grand Rapids, MI. The only scans were arrival and departure in Warrendale, PA on 12/18.

So why does a package shipping in MI, about 250 miles apart, go to Pennsylvania?

Said it was supposed to arrive today but no sign.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 199.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Monk
    $ 26.95
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.00
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 25.00
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    bB Customs
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside