(Topic ID: 302732)

Shipping to Canada - Try Shippsy (located in Ontario/BC)

By pinballjah

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 80 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

With the border closed and it being impractical to use a US border mailbox these days, wanted to let people know about a service I have been using for the last six months. The main benefit I find of using this service is avoiding the high duty fees that you cannot control when shipping items from the US to Canada. There have been many horror stories about people getting charged duty equal to cost of the item being shipped. This is in addition to the extremely high fees US pinball part manufacturers charge to ship items to Canada.

Here is a great example, I want to buy some Pinsound speakers for my GnR from a US manufacturer. The cost to ship the speakers to Ontario would cost me $73.45US! Almost equal the cost of the actual item. If I ship the speakers to my US Shippsy mailbox, the cost is $18.19US plus I pay $7.00CDN to ship the item to Markham, Ontario. So with using Shippsy, I am saving approximately $50US. Also, the best part about using Shippsy is I avoid the possible duty charges as I will provide Shippsy a copy of my invoice which shows the item is under $150CDN, so I will NOT be charged any duty.

Shippsy is a US shipping service that provides you with a free US address (located in Niagara Falls, NY) to ship all your US orders. That way you just pay US to US shipping costs. They then charge you $7.00 CDN + provincial tax (13% in Ontario) to ship your item to their local shipping pickup locations. Shippsy currently has four pickup locations:

Ontario - Markham, Mississauga, London
    British Columbia - Vancouver (Richmond)

Here are the general rules for duty/sales taxes. If you item cost under $40CDN, there will be NO sales taxes or duty. If your item is under $150 CDN, you only pay sales taxes (no duty). If your item is over $150CDN, you are subject to duty and sales taxes UNLESS you can provide evidence that the item is Made in the USA. This is key, as most of the pinball related items are in fact made in the USA. Most pinball vendors will provide you with an invoice stating that the item is made in the USA.

How does the service work? You ship the item to the US address provided by Shippsy when you open up your account. When the item arrives at the depot in Niagara Falls, Shippsy will send you an email to upload the invoice to support the item. Based on this invoice, they will charge you the applicable duty/sales taxes. If the item exceeds $150CDN, you are also given the option to provide support to show the item is made in the USA and thereby avoid any duty charges by Canadian customs. The item is then shipped to the Canadian depot of your choice. They also offer a forwarding service if you are not located close to a Canadian depot. When the item arrives at the Canadian pickup location, they will send you an email and then you will pay the $7.00 Shippsy fee plus any taxes or duty owing on the item. Once you pay the fees owing, they send you a pickup receipt which you present at the pickup location.

If is a very easy to use service and I have shipped a lot of pinball parts and mods over the last six months and never been charged any duty. If you would like to try the service, the link below will give you $10CDN off your first shipment when you sign up (I also get $10 for referring you). If you have any questions on the service, please feel free to post any questions here in this thread. Hopefully you find the service as great as I do.

https://portal.shippsy.com/register/SLvblO
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 2 years ago

Here are the Shippsy locations in Ontario and BC (London location to be confirmed). Remember, they will also forward your shipments to anywhere in Canada using local couriers.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    1 week later
    #3 2 years ago

I know you touch on it a bit, but I then want a package forwarded to PEI where I live, how does that work and approx extra cost?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

I know you touch on it a bit, but I then want a package forwarded to PEI where I live, how does that work and approx extra cost?

It will really depend on size and weight. I can give you an example next time I have a package arrive. I don’t think there is a huge markup and they use Canada Post I think. You can view the forwarding cost when the item arrives in Canada. Try calling them and if you have an idea of the size/weight, maybe they can tell you?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

It will really depend on size and weight. I can give you an example next time I have a package arrive. I don’t think there is a huge markup and they use Canada Post I think. You can view the forwarding cost when the item arrives in Canada. Try calling them and if you have an idea of the size/weight, maybe they can tell you?

Just had an item forwarded to Aurora, Ontario, weight about 5lbs. Total cost of $12.50. So not overly expensive.

2 months later
    #6 2 years ago

Trying this out, so will report back on how it went.

Quoted from pinballjah:

Just had an item forwarded to Aurora, Ontario, weight about 5lbs. Total cost of $12.50. So not overly expensive.

#7 2 years ago

Just had this box forwarded to my home address from their depot in Markham. Cost only $6.50Cdn extra. Weight of 1lb. So prices to forward in Canada seem reasonable if weight not to high.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #8 2 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

Trying this out, so will report back on how it went.

How did you find the service? Thanks.

#9 2 years ago

It was good. No surprises, everything went as they said. Shipping prices still suck, but I think I saved $20-30 on a smaller order. Would do again for sure.

Quoted from pinballjah:

How did you find the service? Thanks.

3 months later
    #10 1 year ago

So tried out the service had it shipped to the Blaine WA location. Got a Titan order cost through Shippsy was $27 Cnd to get it shipped to my house also add 10$ Cdn for Titan to ship to Blaine WA. If i did direct from Titan would of been 55$ Cnd. A few more steps with Shippsy but seem like a decent way to get a bit savings if the US company charges a lot to ship directly to Canada. Also not sure if custom charges would of been involved if i had it shipped directly as well, I know if UPS handles it they charge more then Shippsy does.

Cheers

Wayne

1 week later
    #11 1 year ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

Shippsy now has a calculator to estimate the cost to ship within Canada:

https://shippsy.com/calculator/

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

So tried out the service had it shipped to the Blaine WA location. Got a Titan order cost through Shippsy was $27 Cnd to get it shipped to my house also add 10$ Cdn for Titan to ship to Blaine WA. If i did direct from Titan would of been 55$ Cnd. A few more steps with Shippsy but seem like a decent way to get a bit savings if the US company charges a lot to ship directly to Canada. Also not sure if custom charges would of been involved if i had it shipped directly as well, I know if UPS handles it they charge more then Shippsy does.
    Cheers
    Wayne

Glad it worked out and you saved a little. For me avoiding any duty is the big plus. Also the shipping charges are a lot better with Shippsy. Especially for some sites that don’t charge US to US shipping.

3 weeks later
    #13 1 year ago

Anyone using Shippsy, please note they are moving their US address in Niagara Falls, NY to Sanborn, NY. This is effective September 5, 2022. Here is the new address. Any items received at the old address up to Sept 30, 2022 will be fine.

Suite E - 6420 Inducon Drive, Sanborn, New York 14132

1 year later
    #14 8 months ago

pinballjah what category do you normally select for pinball parts? I'm not seeing anything related and "other" states it will apply duties and taxes at their maximum estimate.

#15 8 months ago
    Quoted from TrueJedi:

pinballjah what category do you normally select for pinball parts? I'm not seeing anything related and "other" states it will apply duties and taxes at their maximum estimate.

I usually pick "video game" parts and let them figure it out

5 months later
    #16 80 days ago

Well 2 things
    I am trying this shipsy thing because my last order from marco took about 6 weeks and the cross border duty and handling fee was crazy.
    2nd I am trying pinball life for the first time.

I'd like to have ordered from Canada and normally would but there were a few items they just didn't have.
    and a couple items were a lot cheaper even after exchange, duty and shipping.

Thanks pinballjah

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.