(Topic ID: 75406)

Shipping pinball machines... Remove back glass?

By stumptown

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I've got an F-14 and Sorcerer (and eventually possibly a Hyperball and Vector) that I want to get from Anchorage to Portland. I'm thinking I will take the table and backboxes to a place in town that can build a box and inject foam around it to create a good secure container... But I have one remaining concern, about the back glass in Sorcerer (F-14 has busted glass but a good translite which is easy to handle).

Should I remove the Sorcerer back glass from the backbox for shipping, or leave it in there? I reaaaaally want it to make it down to the Lower 48 safely since it's flake free and looks beautiful, which seems to be a tough thing to find. Were these machines shipped with the back glass in place from the factory or did the glass get wrapped up separate? Anyone have first hand experience or advice?

#2 10 years ago

I have always shipped games with the backglass in place. With proper packing, you should be fine. If the glass is unique or irreplaceable, I would remove it and ship it separately in a crate or mirror pack.

#3 10 years ago

IMO the games are meant to be moved complete, imagine these being moved and backglasses being broken in the process, operators would not tolerate that. I have heard of exactly zero backglass being broken in shipping the whole machine. I have heard of at least 3 being broken when shipped alone, even in a crate. A complete machine cant be dropped as easily as a backglass alone

#4 10 years ago

Just don't forget to put a screw in the sliding insert latch to stop the insert from falling into the translite or backglass and scratching it.

#5 10 years ago

NIB machines are shipped from the factory with the back glass in place. This is the safest place for it as long as the machine is well packaged for shipment.

#6 10 years ago

Cool, thanks for the replies! I will trust the factory and ship it intact with proper precautions as mentioned.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from stumptown:

I've got an F-14 and Sorcerer (and eventually possibly a Hyperball and Vector) that I want to get from Anchorage to Portland. I'm thinking I will take the table and backboxes to a place in town that can build a box and inject foam around it to create a good secure container... But I have one remaining concern, about the back glass in Sorcerer (F-14 has busted glass but a good translite which is easy to handle).
    Should I remove the Sorcerer back glass from the backbox for shipping, or leave it in there? I reaaaaally want it to make it down to the Lower 48 safely since it's flake free and looks beautiful, which seems to be a tough thing to find. Were these machines shipped with the back glass in place from the factory or did the glass get wrapped up separate? Anyone have first hand experience or advice?

Yea, I thought never ship a game without the backglass in the head and then I saw a Classic Stern Iron Maiden with the glasses in the head and both glasses broken and shattered. Made me think twice about this topic....ALOT....

Actually I think if the backglass is super rare; as with above; I would probably ship them in my wooden crate I built with 2x2's and 3/4 inch plywood that you could drive over with a truck.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-pinball-machines-remove-back-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.