1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by oldschoolbob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3243 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3245 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3242 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3239 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3268 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3260 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3257 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3251 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I’ve been working on an adjustable power supply. The other day I thought I blew up my bridge rectifier and I needed a new one fast. I purchased from Arrow.com before and I remembered they have free overnight shipping. I felt bad about ordering just one rectifier so I ordered about a dozen different ones. The order arrived this morning – two boxes! I was expecting a small padded envelope. Each rectifier was in its own padded, antistatic box – each box was in its own antistatic bag. But the real strange part was the long narrow box. It contained a long antistatic bag. In that was a long antistatic tube. That tube contained ONE rectifier! How can they stay in business doing this?

Bob

IMG_3239 (resized).JPGIMG_3251 (resized).JPGIMG_3257 (resized).JPGIMG_3260 (resized).JPGIMG_3242 (resized).JPGIMG_3243 (resized).JPGIMG_3245 (resized).JPGIMG_3268 (resized).JPG
    #2 1 year ago

Wow ! Government contractor ? Who had to pay for the shipping? You? Or Arrow? How much was the shipping?

#3 1 year ago

That explains their high prices.

#4 1 year ago

I always feel bad when I order small quantities of components from GPE. Ed always puts them in a nice antistatic bag and prints a label for it, then bundles similar items together and wraps them nice and tight in a plastic bag. I don't know how he can cover his margin with the little onesy-twosy parts. I'll try to order 5 or 10 even if I only need one or two at the time.

He's such a great asset to the hobby, though, and I hope he puts up with people like me for the love of keeping these old machines running. I truly appreciate that he cares about the quality of the parts he sells and he will always be my first go-to when I need something.

#5 1 year ago

Arrow kicks ass. I too feel bad at times like I am abusing the free overnight shipping. I frequently have situations where I unexpectadetly run out of parts and I need stuff like NOW to keep eBay in good standing. I can order at 8pm and they show up at 10am the next day.... crazy. They already have really competitive pricing, usually the best and then free overnight shipping. I don't know how they make $$$.

Most of the stuff ships from Reno NV. Sometimes if stock is at other places you get multi box shipping. Even if the stock is overseas you get free shipping, just takes a few days to get.

Always look on coupon website for Arrow discounts. I almost never pay full price, usually some 10-15% off coupon somewhere. Arrow does price matching too. If you find a part somewhere else for less open up a chat window and they will discount that item (doesnt stack with coupons).

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

That tube contained ONE rectifier! How can they stay in business doing this?

I actually worked for Arrow Electronics back in the day and will likely be put on their hit list for saying this but it is called MARK UP.
    Their e-commerce division was just being developed at the time and was targeting Digi-Key most obviously. I can't recall exactly what we used to mark up but it was on magnitudes of hundreds of %. That was BEFORE many brands began to manufacture "off shore".

Useless trivia... their buildings are all single story (well at the time I worked there they were) there was a tragic fire early in their history in a high rise and many executive perished. After that they made an edict they would only occupy low rise buildings!

#7 1 year ago

My wife says these companies negotiate a contract with the shipper (Fed-X, UPS, ect.) They pay the contract price for a year of service - if they ship 1 item or 1000 - they still pay the contract for the whole year.

Even with that, each item in it's own box in it's own bag gets expensive.

And I agree with dothedoo GPE is still the best -

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 179.99
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 38.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 9.95
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 85.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 14,900.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    $ 300.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 37.50
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside