(Topic ID: 96076)

Need IM decals / cab - was:Shipping Damage - What to do?

By btw75

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by IBARAKURO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
IMG_20140701_084508_603.jpg
IMG_20140701_091918_543.jpg
#1 9 years ago

So, if it wasn't bad enough that I bought an Iron Man 2 days before the IMVE announcement, it got damaged in shipping. It had some insurance, and STI was great about acknowledging that the damage happened on their end and michelle has sent me the claim form. What I need help on is how to handle the repair options.

What is the best repair for this screened cab? I assume there is not a supply of screened cabs available, which is a shame since I prefer this one over decals.

I don't think decals exist right now, but I ASSUME that the IMVE decals would work and be available?

Any thoughts? I have on restoration shop here in town that I know of, so I figure I'll get an estimate there.

IMG_20140701_084508_603.jpgIMG_20140701_084508_603.jpg
IMG_20140701_091918_543.jpgIMG_20140701_091918_543.jpg

#2 9 years ago

At one point, you could buy an empty cab from Stern.

Maybe contact them, and see if they have any?

For what a set of installed cab decals cost, if Stern offers them, you might be money ahead to replace the lower cabinet.

#3 9 years ago

Two options maybe.....

If there was enough insurance and if they are even available get a replacement cab from Stern. If you manage to find a decal for the cabinet the whole thing really needs to be re-decalled otherwise it may look a bit odd if only one side is done.

Get a quote to repair the damage, get the money back off the insurance company if they will give it directly to you and take and the money and run. I really feel for you but at least the damage is only cosmetic. The money from the insurance company may offset the amount of money you lose on the machine if and when you sell it as is.

#4 9 years ago

Get a quote from a Stern distributor on what it would cost for a brand new IM cabinet. The chances of getting that repaired to look like new are slim. Plus a lot of people who are in the repair business don't want to give quotes and get involved in the claims. My buddy had this happen to his AC/DC and they honored the quote written up from the distributor. It's the least STI can do considering you are paying for white glove service and they screwed it up. A cabinet alone does not factor into the time it's going to take a for you to swap everything into a new cabinet.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Get a quote from a Stern distributor on what it would cost for a brand new IM cabinet. The chances of getting that repaired to look like new are slim. Plus a lot of people who are in the repair business don't want to give quotes and get involved in the claims. My buddy had this happen to his AC/DC and they honored the quote written up from the distributor. It's the least STI can do considering you are paying for white glove service and they screwed it up. A cabinet alone does not factor into the time it's going to take a for you to swap everything into a new cabinet.

Thanks - waiting on a cab quote which I expect this week.

#6 9 years ago

Saw the first pic and was like "Oh, okay, some matte black paint that's good to go."

Saw the second pick and was like "AW FRIG..."

=( Between my Jackbot and your Iron Man, we must be cursed here in TX..

#7 9 years ago

Bummer they didn't properly blanket wrap the machine when it was picked up
Sorry man!

#8 9 years ago

First you need to biscuits slap the person who wrapped it up for shipping. Shrinkwrap won't cut it, then you need to biscuits slap the shipping company picking it up with just shrink wrap. Good Lord at least go down to Home Depot and buy a couple of shipping blankets and then wrapped the darn thing. This suck I feel for you.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Bummer they didn't properly blanket wrap the machine when it was picked up
Sorry man!

Yea, it's bullshit because they are supposed to prep the game when they get it. I think they are so used to us doing all the prep work that when they go get a game expect to just load it up and leave. I prep the hell out of my games and so do the majority of people here, however sometimes the seller is not a collector or cannot prep the game. Part of the white glove service from NAVL includes adding corner protectors and moving blankets. It's even written on the Special Instruction section on the Bill of Lading. My last game came with one friggen blanket that basically just covered the head and no corner protectors. When I informed NAVL/STI they didn't care and chalked it up as "new driver, who obviously wasn't trained properly." Considering the amount of business I have done with them over the years it was very disappointing and I expected more from a reputable company.

#10 9 years ago

I see this and it makes me sick. I too had navl ship an IM shortly before you did. The seller was a collector as well so that was a comforting issue solved. We spoke a fair amount about navl shipping and I gave him expectations of what I wanted from navl. Game was wrapped in multiple blankets and shrink wrapped. The seller had cardboard on all corners. Hope all this works out for you op. I can imagine what you are going thru.
It's hit or miss with stl as a lot depends on the crew picking up...and another crew delivering.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

It's hit or miss with stl as a lot depends on the crew picking up...and another crew delivering.

And another several crews in between. I thought about blankets, but I figure if they "miss" with the forklift it'll happen anyway - though maybe not as bad.

This first time to buy games and have them shipped has turned really sour, for lots of reasons including this one!

#13 9 years ago

See if the insurance will pay for a replacement decaled IM cabinet that Stern would likely be able to sell you.

#14 9 years ago

Appears STI/NAVL damage has been on the rise recently. I posted a few months back about STI dropping a HUO RFM through a wall in my home. Twice. The game was exceptionally packed by a fellow Pinsider, but just goes to show no matter how well you prepare, you can't foresee the "human" factor.

On another note, I came out on the wrong side of the insurance scenario. Despite multiple quotes for repair, STI found a loophole to avoid paying for the damage to the machine. Despite admitting liability, the severity of damage is apparently subjective. The "claim" was brought before the management claim review panel ( cue excuse to not pay claims theory ) and subsequently found to be uncertain if STI caused the damage ( despite photos showing likewise ).

Anyways, off my soapbox. Moral of the story - wrap the crap out of your game, take lots of photos and cross your fingers filing your claim.

#15 9 years ago

The problem with pre-wrapping the game is NAVL/STI won't cover any damage to the game since they can't verify the condition before they pick it up. Even with pictures the person picking up the game needs to see the game unwrapped so they can notate on a form what damage is there (if any) and they can't do that with the game wrapped up.

I shipped a mint LOTR a few years ago from VA to Canada and I had the guy picking the game up wrap it up while I watched him. Plus I took tons of pictures while he was wrapping the game.

Was it wrapped like that by the seller? I have heard of times where NAVL/STI has unwrapped and re-wrapped a game mid delivery.

Personally I think they owe you more than just a lower cabinet, replacing it with the decalled cab bottom will destroy the game's value since it will no longer be original anymore. The screened cabs are much nicer than the decalled ones.

#16 9 years ago

It's been two weeks that I have been waiting for my claim from STI. My White Water got damaged but they seem in no hurry. Sorry to see this happen to you.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Mattman55:

It's been two weeks that I have been waiting for my claim from STI. My White Water got damaged but they seem in no hurry. Sorry to see this happen to you.

Two weeks? You haven't even scratched the surface. It took three months to get my Jackbot claim settled with R/L.

*EDIT* HEY HEY MY CLAIM WAS WITH R/L, NOT STI! =P

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Two weeks? You haven't even scratched the surface. It took three months to get my Jackbot claim settled with STI.

Did they send anyone out to look at your damage? I'm waiting to hear if they are or not so I can start the repairs.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Appears STI/NAVL damage has been on the rise recently. I posted a few months back about STI dropping a HUO RFM through a wall in my home. Twice. The game was exceptionally packed by a fellow Pinsider, but just goes to show no matter how well you prepare, you can't foresee the "human" factor.
On another note, I came out on the wrong side of the insurance scenario. Despite multiple quotes for repair, STI found a loophole to avoid paying for the damage to the machine. Despite admitting liability, the severity of damage is apparently subjective. The "claim" was brought before the management claim review panel ( cue excuse to not pay claims theory ) and subsequently found to be uncertain if STI caused the damage ( despite photos showing likewise ).
Anyways, off my soapbox. Moral of the story - wrap the crap out of your game, take lots of photos and cross your fingers filing your claim.

If you have documentation of that, and paid with a credit card, you can dispute the charge for shipping with your credit card company. If you have anything showing they initially admitted responsibility, you've got a strong case.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Mattman55:

Did they send anyone out to look at your damage? I'm waiting to hear if they are or not so I can start the repairs.

Ultimately, no. Seller had great documentation of it, we picked it up from the terminal and took about 20 pictures of it smashed and on broken pallets upside down laying on the head with the cardboard all torn up before we even moved it. We had the facility manager there inspecting it along with us, helping us get most of the glass out of it, had his name, his ID, his drivers licence... everything was extremely well documented before we left the terminal with it. I was told not to work on it just in case they DID want to send out an adjuster, but they never did....

To be honest, Mike (GAP) handled about 95% of dealing with R/L. I just sent him the pictures, the info, and everything.. I never talked directly to R/L aside from at the terminal. The game was extremely well wrapped, double strapped to a pallet sitting upright. They busted the original pallet and straps, put it on another broken pallet, and then somehow it ended up upside down on it's head with the playfield glass shattered and it all ended up in the pin too. It's a miracle how little exterior cosmetic damage there was/is given the circumstances. You'd never been able to tell the nightmare this game went through, or that it sat with glass, unfunctional, in my living room for three months.

*EDIT* HEY HEY MY CLAIM WAS WITH R/L, NOT STI! =P

#21 9 years ago

I just got my claim check in, took 13 days since I filed my claim to recieve and they gave me the full amount I was asking. I'm impressed...minus the fact the messed up the machine. I hope this gives you a little piece of mind!

#22 9 years ago

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like I can locate decals or a cabinet. Anyone have any other ideas? I don't think I can ask STI for loss of value, can I?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like I can locate decals or a cabinet. Anyone have any other ideas? I don't think I can ask STI for loss of value, can I?

you got shot down by stern?

#24 9 years ago

Yeah, no decals available. It is likely they'll sell the decals after they are completely finished with IMVE, but since the head dimensions are different that's going to be tough. I was hoping there was an underground decal available but haven't seen an example of one.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Yeah, no decals available. It is likely they'll sell the decals after they are completely finished with IMVE, but since the head dimensions are different that's going to be tough. I was hoping there was an underground decal available but haven't seen an example of one.

You only need the lower cabinet though. Personally, I would leave it as is and play the game whilst getting compensation for the loss in value. It may be better to get it filled and repaired by an artist

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

getting compensation for the loss in value.

Ideally yes - this part is going to be tough I think which is why I was hoping to get a cabinet estimate (estimate only) which would help approximate the loss of value.

#27 9 years ago

If that is how it shipped, shame on STI and the seller needs to know to speak up if they aren't wrapping it correctly. No blankets and the piece that would have averted damage; no cardboard corner pieces.

Sorry to see that happen man.

#28 9 years ago

Mabye stern will sell you an Iron Man VE Cabinet?

#29 9 years ago

I feel your pain. I had the same issue and touched up my IM with some paint. The first scratch hurts the most. Try and enjoy your game. It's really a great pin.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Ideally yes - this part is going to be tough I think which is why I was hoping to get a cabinet estimate (estimate only) which would help approximate the loss of value.

Get the cost of a full new base cabinet from a Stern dist or the cost of the cab decals they are applying the vault editions(if they will sell them).

#31 9 years ago

This is why I wrap any game I sell personally with 4 blankets and cardboard. I would never trust them to wrap a game....but then I have issues with trusting anyone. Sorry this happened to you, but Stern should be able to sell cabinet art after the run...I hope.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

This is why I wrap any game I sell personally with 4 blankets and cardboard. I would never trust them to wrap a game....but then I have issues with trusting anyone. Sorry this happened to you, but Stern should be able to sell cabinet art after the run...I hope.

Yeah, art will be available, but unfortunately those newfangled backboxes are a different shape. I'm still thinking it could be made to work, we'll see.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Yeah, art will be available, but unfortunately those newfangled backboxes are a different shape. I'm still thinking it could be made to work, we'll see.

If the backbox was damaged as well I would ask for an entirely new cabinet. That is if Stern will sell one.

#34 9 years ago

I would be you I would stick a metal rod (black or aluminum)

image.jpgimage.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-damage-what-to-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.