4267A0C4-FF24-46C0-A1D2-AFBEF3E22B15 (resized).jpeg
885C20BF-90E1-48C0-8391-D1D9F5B546FF (resized).jpeg
A7862D5A-DBF2-4791-8105-9C5078A0B8E7 (resized).jpeg
3FE73884-4D36-4AB6-BB6B-35FB729C7B3E (resized).png
IMG_20210622_183251 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210622_183256 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210622_162320[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_20210622_162340[1] (resized).jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

STI did a great job packing a game I shipped. Legs were stowed inside the cabinet. Machine made the 1200 mile trip with no problems.
[quoted image]

Yikes I would’ve been pissed if I paid for STI’s “white glove service” and my game showed up wrapped like that! Legs shoved inside the cabinet banging around and no blanketing around the game to protect the cabinet from being scuffed. If I was the seller I would’ve never let the game leave my possession wrapped like that!

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

STI did a great job packing a game I shipped. Legs were stowed inside the cabinet. Machine made the 1200 mile trip with no problems.
[quoted image]

I will ask moderators to shut down thread because this is another example of my past experience. I appreciate the input, but this is the first time out of 22 shipments, that damage has occurred. I like the war stories and the opinions(I asked for opinions) but this thread has run it's course. I probably should have stated in initial post, that I was looking for advice on going forward with a claim with STI/BELTMAN, and not included shipping method opinions.
Thanks all!

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

For those that peruse this thread. A word of warning on using STI. Your experience may be different but mine was terrible. Fair compensation for several thousand dollars in damage and many hours of chasing claim forms and repair estimates ended with me getting a check for a few hundred dollars (freight weight compensation)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/collector-quality-to-needs-some-work-after-pilot-freight-delivert-#post-5631671

Just curious, what was the game insured for? Was the insurance payout less than the amount it was insured for? Was it possibly under insured? If the claim was paid based on weight, why were all the estimates required? I’m just curious because I ship a lot with STI. Fortunately I’ve only had one incident.

#54 2 years ago

Just for the record, all loose items have never been stored inside a cabinet, with any of my originating shipments. It seems as though inside the cabinet would have prevented, additional damage in this case, had I done that! Selah!

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Yikes I would’ve been pissed if I paid for STI’s “white glove service” and my game showed up wrapped like that! Legs shoved inside the cabinet banging around and no blanketing around the game to protect the cabinet from being scuffed. If I was the seller I would’ve never let the game leave my possession wrapped like that!

White glove service is the biggest scam around

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

I will ask moderators to shut down thread because this is another example of my past experience. I appreciate the input, but this is the first time out of 22 shipments, that damage has occurred. I like the war stories and the opinions(I asked for opinions) but this thread has run it's course. I probably should have stated in initial post, that I was looking for advice on going forward with a claim with STI/BELTMAN, and not included shipping method opinions.
Thanks all!

@schwism’s Skateball post is a good example of why this thread needs to stay alive. If STI is palleting games like that (and picking up games on legs with forklifts), that’s good information.

#57 2 years ago

I personally do not care if it stays alive or not, but I was just looking for real advice on going forward, and I probably did not post it correctly. I know there are some who will never ship pin, and some who will crate and pack for a fee(a charge would have to be associated with that), but I have always offered buyer arranged shipping whenever I put a machine up for sale. I guess it was inevitable that damage would occur, it is just a shame that it happened, on this pin(very nice title that is only increasing in value) at this time.

#58 2 years ago

elcolonel It’s a shame that it happened, and I hope you and the buyer are both made whole.

#59 2 years ago

Shipping games isnt a big deal. I use STI myself.
They’re typically more expensive and slower than other shippers.
They(STI) reason that they charge more and take longer because they carefully pack and move the games.
My experience is that is not true at all and there is no discount when you pack it yourself.
That said when it comes to insurance they will and do accept and properly insure high value items.
Shipping $10-15k machines through more common carriers is extremely risky. When there is a claim to file you will be put through the ringer and normally told at the end of it all that there is a 50 cents per bill pound limit.
In theory and in practice they can destroy a $12k machine run you in circles and at the end of it all mail you a check for $175 AFTER you have paid their freight bill.
I have seen and been through it. STI is your best bet when shipping but you must give accurate values and pay to be insured even still you are really not getting what you are paying for truly just better accountability.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

I would not consider that a great job

If a game shows up without a scratch it's a great job.

Quoted from High_End_Pins:

They(STI) reason that they charge more and take longer because they carefully pack and move the games.
My experience is that is not true at all and there is no discount when you pack it yourself.
That said when it comes to insurance they will and do accept and properly insure high value items.
Shipping $10-15k machines through more common carriers is extremely risky. When there is a claim to file you will be put through the ringer and normally told at the end of it all that there is a 50 cents per bill pound limit.
In theory and in practice they can destroy a $12k machine run you in circles and at the end of it all mail you a check for $175 AFTER you have paid their freight bill.
I have seen and been through it. STI is your best bet when shipping but you must give accurate values and pay to be insured even still you are really not getting what you are paying for truly just better accountability.

Spot on.

I think a reminder at this point is good to NEVER assume the game is properly insured - make sure you pay the extra (which really isn't that much) to insure the game to it's real value. Beyond an EM, almost any pinball machine is going to need this extra coverage.

And NEVER go for a deal on a pinball machine where "shipping is free/included!" - this is a huge dumb sucker bet gimmick, as the seller will be motivated to ship the game as cheaply and crappily as possible to pad their profits. Always separate pinball negotiations with shipping, makes zero sense for them to be at all combined.

#61 2 years ago

Once again, for 21 times before this time, no problem with STI. I did trust that this would be #22 without damage. HEP's appraisal of STI is spot on. I have to offer buyer arranged shipping on anything I list for sale, or 60% or more of the market is eliminated. I could have palletized it after my initial packing job, in 10 minutes, it has just never been required or needed previously with STI.

#62 2 years ago

I agree with the above, like Chris says you must adequately insure the game and properly document everything if there is damage, STI in my experience has been very good at covering claims. They have shipped many games for me over the years and I have only had one game arrived damaged. I wrote detailed description of the damage on the shipping paperwork and even drew a sketch of the game and where the damage was on the shipping paperwork, then I had the driver sign and acknowledge the damage. When the driver left I called Michelle at STI and she emailed me the damage claim forms, I sent the forms in with detailed pictures and an estimate for repair of the game.. STI cut me a check within 30 days with no questions asked. The key here and I can’t stress this enough is, buy adequate insurance and document everything while the driver is still there (make him wait while you unwrap and inspect) thoroughly inspect the game and document everything, if you find damage have the driver acknowledge it, write it on his copy of the shipping documents and have him sign it.

If you don’t want to read through everything I just wrote I will give you the condensed version, if you’re shipping with STI... cover your ass!

#63 2 years ago

Well the first problem is it's not on a pallet. Why is a pallet such a hard thing for people to understand? They are literally the thing people light on fire to drink beer but in pinball they are just to complex or expensive for people to use. Basically everything on the planet was on a pallet at some point yet people are like I am not putting a pin on one of those crazy things. Legs on is the way to go or just the stuff I use for my sandwich. It crushes my brain.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Well the first problem is it's not on a pallet. Why is a pallet such a hard thing for people to understand? They are literally the thing people light on fire to drink beer but in pinball they are just to complex or expensive for people to use. Basically everything on the planet was on a pallet at some point yet people are like I am not putting a pin on one of those crazy things. Legs on is the way to go or just wrapped in sandwich wrap is the way to go. It crushes my brain.

You have not read through the entire thread. Please do not let your brain get crushed by a Pinside thread. I could have(and in retrospect should have) gone up to Kroger, got a pallet, and palletized it myself. In 21 previous shipments with STI, they palletized it for me, and in this case I was assured such would be the case. I shepherded it onto the local pick up truck and figured it would go as the 21 previous shipments.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

NEVER go for a deal on a pinball machine where "shipping is free/included!" - this is a huge dumb sucker bet gimmick, as the seller will be motivated to ship the game as cheaply and crappily as possible to pad their profits. Always separate pinball negotiations with shipping, makes zero sense for them to be at all combined.

"Shipping included" is a bad idea for the seller most of all. If the game is damaged in transit the buyer could then reasonably look to the seller to figure out what went wrong with the shipping arrangements the seller made. Better to do as OP did here and let the buyer make all arrangements (and take all responsibility) for shipping. Of course OP is doing the right thing by helping the buyer make their claim, but it will ultimately be for the buyer to sort it out with STI. Which is the logical way to structure things, as the buyer is the one that's there to receive the game and can document and get the shipper to acknowledge the damage.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Once again, for 21 times before this time, no problem with STI. I did trust that this would be #22 without damage. HEP's appraisal of STI is spot on. I have to offer buyer arranged shipping on anything I list for sale, or 60% or more of the market is eliminated. I could have palletized it after my initial packing job, in 10 minutes, it has just never been required or needed previously with STI.

I think you were extremely fortunate in your 21 prior experiences if you were allowing them to palletize your games. No dock
worker is going to put the same level of care into properly protecting the pin as you would.

Golden rule of shipping a pin - pack it the same way you would want a game you bought packed. Multiple layers of shrink, blankets and cardboard whether palletized or on legs.

That being said - I am truly sorry this happened to you. As a person that ships and has games shipped, this is absolutely the worst gut punch to both the buyer and the seller.

Please keep us updated in this thread as most of us have never had to deal with a claim this large.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

"Shipping included" is a bad idea for the seller most of all. If the game is damaged in transit the buyer could then reasonably look to the seller to figure out what went wrong with the shipping arrangements the seller made. Better to do as OP did here and let the buyer make all arrangements (and take all responsibility) for shipping. Of course OP is doing the right thing by helping the buyer make their claim, but it will ultimately be for the buyer to sort it out with STI. Which is the logical way to structure things, as the buyer is the one that's there to receive the game and can document and get the shipper to acknowledge the damage.

You are 100% spot on. I have never, and never will, leave someone who deals with me out to twist in the wind. Both myself and the buyer will do all we can to get a claim paid from STI. I am the one who included in post header that I was soliciting opinions, my bad there, because I know Pinside well!

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

They are literally the thing people light on fire to drink beer but in pinball they are just to complex or expensive for people to use.

Lmfao I never thought of it this way but you are absolutely right.

3 weeks later
#69 2 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Yup, always ship with legs on, they cannot use a fork lift to move it that way.

I am shipping a HUO LOTRLE next week. I have shipped both ways…i did pallatize a pin that shipped to New Zealand which went great. Most expensive pin i have shipped before this upcoming was a TOTAN and shipped that across country with legs on and went flawlessly. Is the general consensus to ship legs on with Michelle Bianchi?

Sorry for hijacking thread but this is all somewhat on topic for future reference and readers trying to avoid pinball shipping tragedy.

2 weeks later
#70 2 years ago

I hope that the OP gets a satisfactory resolution through STI.
There are a lot of comments about shipping on a pallet, particularly an oversized pallet, and the importance of proper preparation.
All of these measures are helpful but, when it comes to shipping, there are no guarantees.
I recently received an A:IQ LE that was packaged extremely well by the seller. It was placed on an oversized pallet, wrapped in a blanket, strapped in 2 different directions with corner cardboard pieces (wherever the straps went across the machine, to protect from scratches) and wrapped in enough plastic to have survived a hurricane outdoors. It was shipped fully insured via STI.
My wife signed for it but did not unwrap and inspect it (the reason why I am not making a claim). Yet, in spite of all the measures taken to protect it, it arrived with a deep scratch completely through the right side decal (near Thanos's face).
It appears that the strap was somehow rubbing against that area, at some point during transportation. Unless something was leaning against the strap (something with weight to it: another package, a person, etc), there is no conceivable way the strap should have come in contact with finish of the machine.
All of this is to say that even with heroic efforts to protect your precious cargo, things can happen (often times, things that shouldn't have happened but they do).
Insurance is a good idea but make sure you unpackage and inspect, before you sign, and clearly describe any damage on the bill of laden.
This mishap would not keep me from using STI in the future; however, the extremely poor communication from them (throughout the entire process) will be the reason that I look elsewhere, next time.
I truly do hope that STI takes good care of the OP and doesn't make him jump through endless loops to get proper resolution. I also hope that the OP comes back with an update to let us all know the outcome.

#71 2 years ago

I just had STI ship my Elvira LE cross country and they did a great job except for two chips they put in the powder coating. I know the damage occurred in transit because I have detailed pics of the game before it shipped. I took the risk and just glad the cabinet art was perfect and the chipped powder can be fixed. Ship at your own risk, it’s a gamble. The communication with those people is terrible as the previous poster mentioned. Expect sporadic one liner email responses and forget about reaching someone by phone.

0A005ADE-F0DA-4AF4-9F1F-45902B6B1EF9 (resized).jpeg0A005ADE-F0DA-4AF4-9F1F-45902B6B1EF9 (resized).jpeg36CBCB45-3E1E-4D28-9DB9-71A4A8ED5804 (resized).jpeg36CBCB45-3E1E-4D28-9DB9-71A4A8ED5804 (resized).jpeg55EE5F4D-87BD-43C9-8AEC-D015C6A66134 (resized).jpeg55EE5F4D-87BD-43C9-8AEC-D015C6A66134 (resized).jpeg6BEDBBC0-2D72-40AA-B096-437C64CE3691 (resized).jpeg6BEDBBC0-2D72-40AA-B096-437C64CE3691 (resized).jpeg75AF1EB7-0840-4308-89B0-323545AB96C6 (resized).jpeg75AF1EB7-0840-4308-89B0-323545AB96C6 (resized).jpeg8572F766-35A9-429C-8F74-552CB982B043 (resized).jpeg8572F766-35A9-429C-8F74-552CB982B043 (resized).jpeg9B70676D-F831-4A81-A251-9DFFCD9F6248 (resized).jpeg9B70676D-F831-4A81-A251-9DFFCD9F6248 (resized).jpeg

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I just had STI ship my Elvira LE cross country and they did a great job except for two chips they put in the powder coating. I know the damage occurred in transit because I have detailed pics of the game before it shipped. I took the risk and just glad the cabinet art was perfect and the chipped powder can be fixed. Ship at your own risk, it’s a gamble. The communication with those people is terrible as the previous poster mentioned. Expect sporadic one liner email responses and forget about reaching someone by phone.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Was the chipped powder noted on delivery? There’s probably a couple hundred dollars damage there.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Was the chipped powder noted on delivery? There’s probably a couple hundred dollars damage there.

No, the legs were still bubbled wrapped when I signed the papers after inspecting the entire cabinet and I didn’t notice the chip in the rail. It could have been worse and I’ll deal with it. Very grateful I found this pin on Craigslist at a steal price!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-damage-sti-beltman-advice-and-opinions/page/2?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.