4267A0C4-FF24-46C0-A1D2-AFBEF3E22B15 (resized).jpeg
885C20BF-90E1-48C0-8391-D1D9F5B546FF (resized).jpeg
A7862D5A-DBF2-4791-8105-9C5078A0B8E7 (resized).jpeg
3FE73884-4D36-4AB6-BB6B-35FB729C7B3E (resized).png
IMG_20210622_183251 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210622_183256 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210622_162320[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_20210622_162340[1] (resized).jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Encountered my first incidence of shipping damage, I will include pics, but what are the remedies. The pin was obviously stabbed by forks as it sat vertical, so it sustained damage to the back of bottom cabinet, and the top of the bottom cabinet. It also appears the resulting force made 1 corner in the front of bottom cabinet to separate. I really cannot figure that the machine as a whole was dropped as no broken glass, but strangely enough, there is a nick on the display panel also and one of the jones plugs that acts as a pad for when the head is down is also missing. The pin is fully operational.

IMG_20210622_161304[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_161304[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_161311[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_161311[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_161343[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_161343[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_162320[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_162320[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_162340[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_162340[1] (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

How was it packed? Very unlikely the speaker panel got scratched in the center while shipping.

#3 2 years ago

Thought STI normally ships wrapped on legs?

#4 2 years ago

Wow, thats too bad. You'll have to file a claim with them and they may send a repair person to your house to fix the cabinet damage, just depends on your location....
I've personally be through this same situation with them years back. That was the last time I would ever ship a game through STI, it's just not worth the hassle and they SUCK!!

Good luck and I hope they come through for you in one way or another.

John

#5 2 years ago

There goes the value. Ouch. Insurance?

#6 2 years ago

Here are pics of how they received it. They told me that they would palletize.

IMG_20210622_183256 (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_183256 (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago

This is the first incident of damage in 20+ pins shipped.

#8 2 years ago
IMG_20210622_183251 (resized).jpgIMG_20210622_183251 (resized).jpg
#9 2 years ago

Every pin I have sent off with them has been packed essentially like what you see. They obviously unwrapped it after it got stabbed, no other way, for the front end damage, could occur.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Here are pics of how they received it. They told me that they would palletize.
[quoted image]

Who told you they would palletize it? STI?

Palletizing a game takes a lot of prep work to do it right.

#11 2 years ago

They have done it every time on my shipments.

#12 2 years ago

When it’s wrapped like that, they use the forklift. With STI, it’s better shipping with legs on. No forklift, which almost always is causes the damage

#13 2 years ago

Yeah I never palletize with STI. Wouldn't trust them to do it themselves out of my sight. At least when shipping on legs it requires humans to move it, hopefully more carefully than the forklift driver coming off an all night bender. Sucks and sorry it happened... hopefully they can make you whole in some regard.

#14 2 years ago

Yikes, hope it was signed for damaged and insured. Either way be prepared for easily a 6 month fight.
Carriers count on the customer giving up and taking the loss.
I've filed many freight claims, usually for $10,000 to $ 25,000 electric motors. Often from them just going missing.
How do you misplace a 10000 lb item!?

Good luck to you.

#15 2 years ago

So sorry to see the damage caused during shipping. Damn. You have enough pic’s to support your case. Ask for a claim form from your shipping agent & make your case ASAP. Be strong!

3FE73884-4D36-4AB6-BB6B-35FB729C7B3E (resized).png3FE73884-4D36-4AB6-BB6B-35FB729C7B3E (resized).png
#16 2 years ago

Did you have the driver fill out a o.s.d (overage shortage, damage) form or some kind of damage form and sign it when it was delivered so when you file a claim they can't deny it was damaged good luck on getting this straightened out

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Did you have the driver fill out a o.s.d (overage shortage, damage) form or some kind of damage form and sign it when it was delivered so when you file a claim they can't deny it was damaged good luck on getting this straightened out

Excellent point. Receiving such damaged goods should be supported by the recipient & the driver on delivery - and the appropriate signed paperwork at it’s destination. Good luck @elcolonel.

#18 2 years ago

Honestly the front corner cabinet split was occurring on factory Stern Ghostbusters from that vintage without any help from shipper.....

The rest, well yeah, that's definitely on the shipper but fixable.....

#19 2 years ago

Yup, always ship with legs on, they cannot use a fork lift to move it that way.

#20 2 years ago

Who paid for and made the shipping arrangements?
Was it shipped fob destination or origin?
Those can affect whom must file freight claims.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Who told you they would palletize it? STI?
Palletizing a game takes a lot of prep work to do it right.

Agreed. Always ship legs on with no issues. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but I always recommend legs on

Good luck OP. I’m sure they will take care of you.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I operate a folk lift at work, one can still negotiate pins with a forklift with the legs on.
The only way they can't would be to basically crate the legs so the fork can't "easily" and viability pierce the crate. Then one would hope they only use a hand truck.

The safest way to ship a pin can be seen in the HEP thread. He has documented it a couple of times.
Truth is these things are moved by people, it's a matter of time until an accident happens.

Just like car insurance, we hope we never need it.

#23 2 years ago

Oversized Solid pallet,strong anchors and plenty of instruction labels.
Any damage?
No excuses!!!!

885C20BF-90E1-48C0-8391-D1D9F5B546FF (resized).jpeg885C20BF-90E1-48C0-8391-D1D9F5B546FF (resized).jpegA7862D5A-DBF2-4791-8105-9C5078A0B8E7 (resized).jpegA7862D5A-DBF2-4791-8105-9C5078A0B8E7 (resized).jpeg

#24 2 years ago

Recipient made all arrangements and set it up with STI. There were a couple of irregularities in this particular situation, such as sitting in Atlanta depot for 11 days before even hitting the road to California, and then the delivery personnel unwrapping at recipient's home and taking all packaging materials with them. The recipient's wife received the shipment. This shipment certainly had several circumstances that were unique in my experiences with STI.

#25 2 years ago

I was at the local Beltman/ STI terminal (lowell Ma) last Thursday to pick up a pin. The game had its legs on with its head folded and wrapped up . They went in to get the game and slide the fork lift tines right in between the front legs and picked up the pin

I was a little surprised that they just "grabbed it" that way

#26 2 years ago

The wood ripped from the lower cabinet could have easily been caused when they put it on a pallet. Unless the end of the cabinet is wrapped/protected, the exposed wood is vulnerable.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from grahamharley:

I was at the local Beltman/ STI terminal (lowell Ma) last Thursday to pick up a pin. The game had its legs on with its head folded and wrapped up . They went in to get the game and slide the fork lift tines right in between the front legs and picked up the pin

They are usually just warehouse workers that need to move freight around as quickly and easily as possible caring little about the contents or outcomes. It’s a fantasy that any commercial shipper isn’t using a forklift.
This is why the labeling is so important.
If they do and it causes damage you can easily file and support your claim.
Labels are the cheapest insurance you can buy. If you don’t ship enough to have or need them make your own.
Forklift damage on a package labeled DO NOT FORKLIFT?.
Case closed.

#28 2 years ago

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I was just going to say they can and do unfortunately :-/

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Recipient made all arrangements and set it up with STI. There were a couple of irregularities in this particular situation, such as sitting in Atlanta depot for 11 days before even hitting the road to California, and then the delivery personnel unwrapping at recipient's home and taking all packaging materials with them. The recipient's wife received the shipment. This shipment certainly had several circumstances that were unique in my experiences with STI.

Uh oh. Sounds like this will be an uphill fight.

Of course the delivery crew is gonna deliver, get their signing and not say anything. They’ll deliver a box that went off a loading dock without even flinching.

Are you the seller? Who arranged the shipping?

#30 2 years ago

Yeah that stinks.
I always ask the seller to make sure the game is shipped with the legs on. Forklifts are risky with pinball machines.
I’ve been to some of these place to pick up a machine and those forklift drivers fly all over the place.
Hope the insurance covers you.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

When it’s wrapped like that, they use the forklift. With STI, it’s better shipping with legs on. No forklift, which almost always is causes the damage

How does this keep them from lifting the game up with the forks?

John

#32 2 years ago

Doesn't surprise me a bit. People are lazy. Did you really expect them to pick it up by hand? People don't care, it's not there item getting damaged.

John

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Doesn't surprise me a bit. People are lazy. Did you really expect them to pick it up by hand? People don't care, it's not there item getting damaged.
John

Exactly it's all general freight to them put it the fuck on the truck and grab the next skid to get the truck rolling so the next one can back in and get loaded

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

How does this keep them from lifting the game up with the forks?
John

With legs on it's just a high pallet.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

They are usually just warehouse workers that need to move freight around as quickly and easily as possible caring little about the contents or outcomes. It’s a fantasy that any commercial shipper isn’t using a forklift.
This is why the labeling is so important.
If they do and it causes damage you can easily file and support your claim.
Labels are the cheapest insurance you can buy. If you don’t ship enough to have or need them make your own.
Forklift damage on a package labeled DO NOT FORKLIFT?.
Case closed.

Completely agree. A few years back I shipped an HUO Simpsons Pinball Party from DC to Seattle...this machine was perfect. It was shipped legs on and I was told that they wouldn't use a forklift. Well...it arrives with a huge hash in the side of the cab, clearly from a forklift, and the buyer was devastated. He apparently fought with STI for several months and the full insurance didn't get him much

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

in those cases could they substitute a pallet jack maybe? that would be a safe option than a forklift.

#37 2 years ago

As a heavy equipment Owner/Operator, any forklift operator that puts a set forks through the side of any piece of freight should be fired on the spot! That guy is an incompetent idiot who needs to be shown the door before he kills somebody! In the same breath, the freight company should take full responsibility for that individual and pay the claim. There should be no need for any sign on the freight item. I could pick up a game with a fork lift and drive down the freeway without damaging it one bit!

#38 2 years ago

Man Im lucky, I have had nothing but good experience with STI, something like this would make me so sad. Im sure they will take care of it, they are pretty approachable people . Good luck man!
A GB too! such a shame!

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man Im lucky, I have had nothing but good experience with STI, something like this would make me so sad. Im sure they will take care of it, they are pretty approachable people . Good luck man!
A GB too! such a shame!

My experience with STI has been the same up to this point.
I appreciate all the input and am supporting the buyer in every way possible to get renumerated fairly.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Encountered my first incidence of shipping damage, I will include pics, but what are the remedies. The pin was obviously stabbed by forks as it sat vertical, so it sustained damage to the back of bottom cabinet, and the top of the bottom cabinet. It also appears the resulting force made 1 corner in the front of bottom cabinet to separate. I really cannot figure that the machine as a whole was dropped as no broken glass, but strangely enough, there is a nick on the display panel also and one of the jones plugs that acts as a pad for when the head is down is also missing. The pin is fully operational.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Look how filed down those white plastic buttons on the rear of the machine are, looks like this was moved around on it's ass like a hockey puck. We all know Sterns top deck plate under the head is just air nailed in and lifts or tears up very easily and that's what it looks like what happened as they kept sliding on it's ass from one spot to the next.

They might have seen the flaking of the wood, unwrapped it to look and caused some head damage in doing so at that point and re wrapped it. Dock worker's who didn't want to get jammed up.

Hope you have a lot of pre shipped photos of these area's.

#41 2 years ago

For those that peruse this thread. A word of warning on using STI. Your experience may be different but mine was terrible. Fair compensation for several thousand dollars in damage and many hours of chasing claim forms and repair estimates ended with me getting a check for a few hundred dollars (freight weight compensation)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/collector-quality-to-needs-some-work-after-pilot-freight-delivert-#post-5631671

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

For those that peruse this thread. A word of warning on using STI.

My opinion of STI went down several notches when they sent a local sub-contractor to pickup a pin.

The same sub-contractor made a delivery to our medical facility and they managed to break two hospital beds and it was all downhill from there.

Worst "I don't give a f*ck" service ever.

#43 2 years ago

STI did a great job packing a game I shipped. Legs were stowed inside the cabinet. Machine made the 1200 mile trip with no problems.

4267A0C4-FF24-46C0-A1D2-AFBEF3E22B15 (resized).jpeg4267A0C4-FF24-46C0-A1D2-AFBEF3E22B15 (resized).jpeg
#44 2 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

STI did a great job packing a game I shipped. Legs were stowed inside the cabinet. Machine made the 1200 mile trip with no problems.

And was probably moved with a forklift…

#45 2 years ago

How to tell the difference between a great heavy equipment operator and the rest…

4F84AC5E-B5CB-4538-845F-B7E88A6CACDF (resized).jpeg4F84AC5E-B5CB-4538-845F-B7E88A6CACDF (resized).jpeg
#46 2 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

[quoted image]

How did you secure the legs inside the cabinet so they couldn't move around and wreck havoc

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

[quoted image]

I would not consider that a great job

#48 2 years ago

I would never trust any shipper to palletize and strap down a game, but that’s just me. I made a pallet for the last game I shipped (to Canada), since I couldn’t find one. I appreciate this thread, now I will never agree to ship with STI. What’s the best alternative?

#49 2 years ago

Did You go through Michele at STI. If You did She will make it right from my past experiences.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

[quoted image]

That Skateball isn’t even strapped to the pallet, and it’s vulnerable to damage from adjacent items in the truck. The way @HEP showed in his picture is the only way to prevent incidental damage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 49.95
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-damage-sti-beltman-advice-and-opinions/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.