7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bronzelion
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Does anyone have an estimate on the shipping costs for a single pin from NY to Chicago via NAVL?

#2 7 years ago

Probably about $320 w/o insurance.

#3 7 years ago

I would guess closer to $400 with current fuel costs.

#4 7 years ago

I just got a quote and am having a pin shipped from MN to TX. It was $315 for the base shipping. The insurance added quite a bit. Ended up right at $400.

#5 7 years ago

$500 from OR to AR navl. only 400 from CA, go figure. FAR cheaper to have delivered to the terminal down the road though, 200 through YRC. borrowed a pickup, they loaded it into the pickup for me.

#6 7 years ago

If you don't have to use a remote hub, it saves money. NY to CHI will be distribution center-to-distribution center, which will be their cheapest rate.

Call Michelle at 630-352-3312.

#7 7 years ago

Got it. Thanks.

#8 7 years ago

Had good luck with coinopshippers.com

#9 7 years ago

Wonder if everyone uses the same Michelle at NAVL? She must get a lot of pin business.

#10 7 years ago

What do you have your eye on, rockstar?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Wonder if everyone uses the same Michelle at NAVL? She must get a lot of pin business.

Michelle Bianchi. She is with Precision now - she runs the coinop shipping division. They use STI for their leg on, "white glove" treatment for pinball machines. They move about 2000 coin op machines a month, last time she said anything about it on RPG.

#12 7 years ago

yeah same Michelle. 2000 a month! 24,000 a year from one shipper. This market is way bigger than I thought. Could be 6 figures of pins changing hands every year. With the pinball is dying stuff from not so long ago i was thinking far less. Michelle was $401 from MN to MO. With the "white glove" treatment that seems fair from door to door.

#13 7 years ago

So precisely what does "white glove" delivery mean? Will they bring it into your basement for you?

#14 7 years ago

They blanket wrap, then stretch wrap the machine, with box down and padding between box and rails. The machine is supposed to be moved by hand by two people keeping the machine level, but they do have hand trucks that can lift the game by the back. Machine is ratchet strapped to the side rail of the truck, and only on lift gate trucks. They do all the packing and unpacking and set-up. It is supposed to be ground level to ground level, only - but I have heard of people tipping the drivers to get them to take the pin to the basement.

Supposedly they only use drivers that are familiar with the machines and how to move them. Michelle told me just yesterday that they are moving more than half of their pins this way now, with a lower claims rate than ever. They aren't using forklifts on these machines, and they aren't low to the ground, where those forks travel.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

yeah same Michelle. 2000 a month! 24,000 a year from one shipper. This market is way bigger than I thought. Could be 6 figures of pins changing hands every year. With the pinball is dying stuff from not so long ago i was thinking far less. Michelle was $401 from MN to MO. With the "white glove" treatment that seems fair from door to door.

Well, that coin op number includes vids, redemption machines and jukeboxes.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

They blanket wrap, then stretch wrap the machine, with box down and padding between box and rails. The machine is supposed to be moved by hand by two people keeping the machine level, but they do have hand trucks that can lift the game by the back. Machine is ratchet strapped to the side rail of the truck, and only on lift gate trucks. They do all the packing and unpacking and set-up. It is supposed to be ground level to ground level, only - but I have heard of people tipping the drivers to get them to take the pin to the basement.

Supposedly they only use drivers that are familiar with the machines and how to move them. Michelle told me just yesterday that they are moving more than half of their pins this way now, with a lower claims rate than ever. They aren't using forklifts on these machines, and they aren't low to the ground, where those forks travel.

After all the horror stories I've heard, this definitely sounds like the way to go if you are going to have a machine shipped.

#17 7 years ago

There are a ton of threads on RPG about the merits of legs-on vs. legs-off shipping. Anything can happen, obviously. But from my count, it looks like you are more likely to have significant damage when a forklift becomes involved.

#18 7 years ago

How much of a tip? I need them to take it up one flight of outside stairs and set it down. They are not here yet, but have called.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

it looks like you are more likely to have significant damage when a forklift becomes involved.

Sadly, I know that all too well.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

How much of a tip? I need them to take it up one flight of outside stairs and set it down. They are not here yet, but have called.

Sounds like about $20 to me.

#21 7 years ago

Ty, they just called again, minutes away. Gambit and Pinside come through, wooohooo

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

gambit3113 said:it looks like you are more likely to have significant damage when a forklift becomes involved.
    Sadly, I know that all too well.

What happened with you?

In full disclosure, I called an audible on the crating and hand trucking on my MM and switched to the leg-on, blanket wrap White Glove route. I have gone back and forth on this since they picked it up last week, and will only know if it was the right call when they deliver it to me on (hopefully) Thursday afternoon. The seller was willing to cardboard wrap it and mark the box HAND-TRUCK THIS SIDE ONLY, but he didn't have any foam or other padding. Told him to just ask the guy that picked it up what would be the safest, most secure way to ship this, and told him to remind the driver how much this machine was insured for if it got damaged. He called and told me that the driver had him help wrap the machine in blankets and stretch, and they carried it by hand to the truck and in. Fingers crossed....

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

What happened with you?

Here is the post regarding it. It still hasn't been resolved.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coinopshipperscom-fedex-freight

#24 7 years ago

Oh, that's right. They still haven't fixed that?

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Oh, that's right. They still haven't fixed that?

nope. They made an "offer" that I rejected two weeks ago. It was for slightly more than half of the total claim and they were withholding $150.00 of that until decals were available.

#26 7 years ago

Well, your story alone kept me from even considering them for a quote last week. And will prevent me from ever dealing with them.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

coinopshippers.com

By contrast, I didn't have a good experience with them. Not entirely their fault to be fair, but not handled very well either. Ultimately the machine arrived in good order (via FedEx)

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

In full disclosure, I called an audible on the crating and hand trucking on my MM and switched to the leg-on, blanket wrap White Glove route. I have gone back and forth on this since they picked it up last week, and will only know if it was the right call when they deliver it to me on (hopefully) Thursday afternoon.

Exactly how my SM was delivered...smooth delivery, hope it works for you!

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Had good luck with coinopshippers.com

I had a very bad experience with them and would not use them again.

#30 7 years ago

I once received an IJ sitting on a palette. That's it! No wrap, no ties, no nothing! Oh wait, the shipper did manage to place a thin piece of cardboard on the glass before dropping the head down.

It was just my 2nd game and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start up. Turns out all the vibration of not being tied down unseated a bunch of connectors on the main board. Miraculously, nothing else was wrong with it. I'm surprised the balls were taken out.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

What do you have your eye on, rockstar?

Nothing right now. Was confusing the F14 pin with Airborne. Looking for a cheap project pin - one where I won't be killed with freight costs!

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

There are a ton of threads on RPG about the merits of legs-on vs. legs-off shipping. Anything can happen, obviously. But from my count, it looks like you are more likely to have significant damage when a forklift becomes involved.

There's more damage potential with legs on shipping, and there are many reasons for it. First of all, it causes forklift operators to slide the forks right below the machine, and they sometimes miss of they come in a little to hard. Also, the weight of a pinball machine is not distributed equally, so unless they pick it up just right with the forklift, it can tip backwards.

Legs are also more likely to be damaged with legs on shipping, obviously. I've received machines with bent up legs, so I request palleted games only. If the seller won't ship that way, I'll accept legs on shipping, but I hate it.

Also, shippers are likely to stack items on top of a legs on shipment. The flat top just begs for them to put a pallet on top of the folded down backbox. It's terrible, but with the cost of fuel, they try to cram every bit they can into each shipment.

Finally, due to the shaking when shipping, a machine on legs is far more likely to suffer internal damage from the jostling about. A machine on a pallet bounces WAY LESS than a machine on legs. You'll often get charged more for on legs shipping too, because it takes up a larger footprint in the truck.

Again, I will allow a seller to ship a game to me with legs on, but only after I've already asked for them to pallet it. I get that some people can't get a pallet, but it's the much safer way. It happens to be the less convenient way, but it's safer.

#33 7 years ago

STI's coin op thing with this treatment is no forklifts. They also guarantee that nothing is stacked on top. This isn't straight NAVL.

#34 7 years ago

Well, that's STI's handling policy, but they contract with local movers to handle pickup and delivery, and those guys have their own policies. I do marketing for the local company that handles STI's pickups here and they are just a contracted moving and storage facility.

I'd still recommend STI first and foremost for on-legs shipping, because I've found they have the lowest surcharges and most hassle-free experience overall.

I've just been disappointed with damages from on-legs shipping in the past, so I try to avoid it whenever possible.

#35 7 years ago

Gotcha. Luckily our local guys are solId. I can't speak for the guys that picked it up, but my seller said that it was nice and secure when they left with it. I have heard a few people that had leg dings or bent outright. If that is the worst that happens, I will be very happy. Got a spare set in the parts closet, if need be.

#36 7 years ago

STI came at the same time as some other third party shipper. What a difference. It was on it's legs, but the way it was packed was primo, in blankets. by contrast the other third party shipper was cardboard wrapped and then shrink wrapped, strapped to palette legs off. Both took no damage during shipping. The STI guys though, there were two, were ready to help. The other guy wanted me to sign and then jet. He was not gonna help.

#37 7 years ago

I bought my first pin from an online retailer through an ebay listing less than 8 months ago. Shipping from TX to CA ended up being a little over $300. Every other pin after that has seemed like a really great deal since I have not payed shipping.

#38 7 years ago

Checked the tracking this morning, and MM is in Kendrick, OK. 727 of 900 miles down. Getting close!!

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Checked the tracking this morning, and MM is in Kendrick, OK. 727 of 900 miles down. Getting close!!

Dude, that's awesome. Remember, pics of it in your house are mandatory once the driver leaves.

#40 7 years ago

Very helpful thread and timely too. Thanks for everyone's input.

Just arranged pickup with Michelle for DOCSCOTT's CFTBL.

She said I should get it by March 9, which would be great as I plan to have a get together with local pinsiders to meet each other on March 10.

#41 7 years ago

Michelle nominated for official door to door Pinside shipper. Terminal shipping is still cheaper, but you need a way to pick it up.

#42 7 years ago

Got some internet links or contact info for these people? I want to make sure I get the right people when I find a Pin and NAVL sounds great.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

If you don't have to use a remote hub, it saves money. NY to CHI will be distribution center-to-distribution center, which will be their cheapest rate.

Call Michelle at 630-352-3312.

all you need natdawg. she is navl.

1 month later
    #44 7 years ago

Just wanted to say that I had a pin delivered to my house today using STI today. I scheduled the delivery through michele bianchi and it was another successful delivery (no damage, no problems). This is the 3rd time I have used STI with good results. The pin I got today was shipped from Indiana (cost was $428 including insurance and took exactly 2 weeks). I bought a pin off ebay about a year ago that was shipped from Colorado, and I had a pin shipped from my house to a guy in Texas. Both of those deliveries went well also.

#45 7 years ago

Try and save yourselves some cash and go terminal to terminal!

Example:

Terre Haute, IN to Albuqueruqe, NM - NAVL - $498

Terre Haute, IN to Albuquerque, NM - Term to Term = $218

#46 7 years ago

Good to know. I would have to factor in the cost of a rental van though also. I know a pin would fit, but I don't like trying to cram one in the prius.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 248.85
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 156.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinfarmer Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside