Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by crlush
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image-794.jpg
    image.jpg
    05-8jSRcXn.jpg
    aab22cc44afc9a1566b79800c70e0667.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm running out of space and thinking of using a shipping container for a detached gameroom. Anyone try this? Thoughts ? Experiences? Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Interesting idea, just read where they are converting them into apartments, stacked three high.

They are only 8 feet wide, so not like you can have a row of games down each side. But guess you can do them in rows that are three across and still have an aisle to get to each row. So you could probably get 18 pins in a 40foot container.

#3 9 years ago

I want some as a house.

#4 9 years ago

Seems like a good idea to me.... I've always been fascinated by container houses. You could fit a fair amount of games in something like this.

aab22cc44afc9a1566b79800c70e0667.jpgaab22cc44afc9a1566b79800c70e0667.jpg
    #5 9 years ago

Great idea..zoning laws may be your biggest obstacle
    Above pic looks great.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Great idea..zoning laws may be your biggest obstacle
    Above pic looks great.

Thanks! The place I am living is sort of a semi-temporary site and it's on about 7 acres. So I'm thinking of dumping it towards the back . I think I'll have little trouble with zoning. Most of the land is wooded and it is all fenced in with no real neighbors. I also have power at multiple places on the property.

#7 9 years ago

Would love to see some pics if you do it!!

#8 9 years ago

Ventilation and insulation will be an issue in Upstate NY. Imagine a garage, and then imagine a garage with neither of those, no protection from the sun, and less mass for thermal damping. Your average cheap used container will also not be watertight.

They're also usually not rated for much in the way of load-bearing or stacking once you start cutting holes in them for light, ventilation, power cords, etc. There's the potential for them to crumple or collapse in transit once they've been altered.

It could work though, if so it'd be pretty cool! Modifying the container to make it a pleasant environment and also protect your machines seems like it could easily get to be more expensive than the container itself.

#9 9 years ago

I'll post'em up if I do. I need to find a place to pick one up. There are a few 20 footers on CL over here but they are $2700 which sounds a little high to me

#10 9 years ago

That thing looks like it would be ten thousand degrees in the summer. You should do it!

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Ventilation and insulation will be an issue in Upstate NY. Imagine a garage, and then imagine a garage with neither of those, no protection from the sun, and less mass for thermal damping. Your average cheap used container will also not be watertight.

Thanks for the helpful input, you bring up some very good points. I'll definitely take that into consideration. I was thinking of a pellet stove for heat in the winter. I would need to figure out ventilation though.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

That thing looks like it would be ten thousand degrees in the summer. You should do it!

Maybe paint the exterior white with some vents or something?

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Well at least he won't need a soldering iron to do board work in there.

#14 9 years ago

you can install one of those mr slim a/c heat pumps from mitsubishi. foam the inside and install a roof spaced off of the container with sloped stringers to let heat escape and route water away. If you have enough of an overhang from the roof it will help shade any windows and entrances.

-c

#15 9 years ago

containers that were used with refrigeration are insulated, but they will cost more, but may be worth it.

Most containers are waterproof, unless they have been sitting and rusting for a long time.

Could well be worth an extra $1000 to be sure it is a good shape, insulated, etc.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Thanks for the helpful input, you bring up some very good points. I'll definitely take that into consideration. I was thinking of a pellet stove for heat in the winter. I would need to figure out ventilation though.

Containers can get crazy hot in the summer. You'll need cooling too.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

containers that were used with refrigeration are insulated, but they will cost more, but may be worth it.
    Most containers are waterproof, unless they have been sitting and rusting for a long time.
    Could well be worth an extra $1000 to be sure it is a good shape, insulated, etc.

It might be worth it to do the insulation yourself and make sure it's not all covered in mold and fit for human occupancy. Plus you will have to cut everything up for electrical, windows, etc. It sounds like a fun project.

-c

#18 9 years ago

Sucks they are so thin in the width department. From a cost perspective though, you can't beat one. You can get 40 footers for under $2k. Wonder if you could get two and join them together, insulate, run power, and put in on the aforementioned portable HVAC units? Probably could have the whole thing for $10,000 and that'd be 640 sq ft. and would fit about 32 games, 16 games each outer wall with walking space in the middle.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Wonder if you could get two and join them together, insulate, run power, and put in on the aforementioned portable HVAC units?

There's a lot of people who have done just that.

05-8jSRcXn.jpg05-8jSRcXn.jpg
    #20 9 years ago

We have one here in Christchurch courtesy of Pintech:

http://pintech.co.nz/tiki-village-to-open-in-june/

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

We have one here in Christchurch courtesy of Pintech:
    http://pintech.co.nz/tiki-village-to-open-in-june/

Cool! I didn't know that.

Container buildings are cool. I have designed several cool ones for use on my industrial park, however tenants aren't so keen on them. People have preconceived ideas, I guess.

I visited this complex in Zurich (Switzerland) in 2013. It's a high end retail store in the middle of nowhere. There are container pubs and food outlets behind it (not shown in these pics)

Imagine how many pins you'd get in this baby!

rd.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 9 years ago

Go simple, spray foam(not the stuff in a can) the walls put up plywood and paint them all black. R/V AC unit on the top. Stick with the hi-cubed containers, gives you 9'6" height.

You can also buy refrigerated containers but they start around 5K

#23 9 years ago

Put one of these next to it
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#24 9 years ago

If cost/functionality is a factor I'd say just go with a regular pole barn. Shipping containers are cool, but if you have to do a bunch of modifications it might be more costly.

Could you bury the majority of the shipping container, aside from the entrance so the ground would insulate it? I'm sure that opens up more weathering variables, but it might take care of the harsh heatomg/cooling spikes/bills.

Edit: Just looked it up and rained on my own parade. Not good to bury them.

#25 9 years ago

A friend of mine bought a shipping container online to use as storage in his back yard he has some acrage slso, he said it was 1/4 the price of putting up a garage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-container-gameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.