Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.37.43 AM (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I just made a $55.00 order with Pinball Life for $55.00. Add $13.93 for shipping via UPS ground ! USPS would probably save me some money but that is not an option.

$13.93 = 25% ! Stern may not kill the hobby with its ever increasing prices, but FedEx, UPS, And USPS sure seem like they are trying to kill it.

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.37.43 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.37.43 AM (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

The last order I placed with PSPA was a killer with shipping. I hate that since they have a lot of hard to find parts at decent prices. I hope shipping doesn't continue to go up.

#3 1 year ago

Usps would have been about the same price.
And, all rates go up in 10 days.
Rate increases across the board on July 10th.
UPS has similar increase In 2 weeks.
Prepare to bend over the next several years.
Historically postage has never gone down except WWII.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2022/0406-usps-new-prices-for-2022.htm#:~:text=WASHINGTON%2C%20DC%20%E2%80%94%20Today%20the%20United,58%20cents%20to%2060%20cents.

#4 1 year ago

It's not the freight companies, it's the skyrocketing cost of diesel and gasoline needed to run their trucks. They are forced to pass on the 2x to 3x fuel surcharge increases to customers. Blame current energy policies and supply issues.

#5 1 year ago

Pinball Life always had high shipping prices

#6 1 year ago

Well, $14 will hardly get you enough gas to cross town, and people don’t work for free, if they work at all. So my recommendation is to order $200 worth of parts and maybe then you can live with the shipping being a lower % of the bill.

#7 1 year ago

Nowhere close to the pain international clients suffer on a daily basis, I just put 10 leds in the cart for fun

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 1 year ago

UPS shipping is based on dimensional weight, so prices can jump in a hurry on larger items. I have folks paying over $50 to get big ramps from the east coast to the west coast. Every inch counts, and I wind up having to stock a dozen box sizes just to save my customers some money. Not much else I can do there, even with discounts applied. $13 seems to be about normal to me recently. USPS really got bad with any package over their small sized sweet spot. They are sending the message that they just don't want to deal with packages over a cubic foot. I usually default to USPS when I order small items, because they are typically faster. But now that they jacked up prices on medium sized parcels, I'm picking UPS more often.

I avoid FedEx at all costs.

#9 1 year ago

Pinball websites have always charged a ridiculous amount for shipping. Well before inflation and gas prices. They are low volume low margin niche shops, don’t compare them to Amazon or a major e-commerce retailer.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Pinball websites have always charged a ridiculous amount for shipping. Well before inflation and gas prices.

You could just drive to them and pick it up if you want to be cheap.

Pricing depends on volume. Not all pinball websites move enough volume to get crazy good discounts from shippers. Yes, Shipstation and Shopify get you discounts, but it's still higher than what the big guns get. Boxes are not cheap either. $4-$7 each for a large ramp box plus packing materials all add up. You have to buy boxes in bundles and bubble wrap/craft paper in bulk to get any kind of reasonable price on them. I'm out several hundred dollars just getting to the point of being able to ship something. Sorry, none of us are billion dollar companies like Amazon, so you may be a bit let down that you won't be receiving your pinball parts in a day with free shipping for a nominal $13/month.

#11 1 year ago

I am definitely batching up my orders but not surprising considering.

I'm glad they don't have some ridiculous free shipping thing that will bankrupt them.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from JToeps:

I am definitely batching up my orders but not surprising considering.
I'm glad they don't have some ridiculous free shipping thing that will bankrupt them.

I'm the same. I generally wait till I have $200 or more to order. Exceptions being something that needs to get done ASAP if I'm repairing something for someone else.

#13 1 year ago

Liked the USPS days ... now everyone using Fedex and UPS...
So when we get our parcels shipped to Canada they add the bogus clearing customs fees .. so whatever the shipping costs add an extra $20.00 plus

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

You could just drive to them and pick it up if you want to be cheap.
Pricing depends on volume. Not all pinball websites move enough volume to get crazy good discounts from shippers. Yes, Shipstation and Shopify get you discounts, but it's still higher than what the big guns get. Boxes are not cheap either. $4-$7 each for a large ramp box plus packing materials all add up. You have to buy boxes in bundles and bubble wrap/craft paper in bulk to get any kind of reasonable price on them. I'm out several hundred dollars just getting to the point of being able to ship something. Sorry, none of us are billion dollar companies like Amazon, so you may be a bit let down that you won't be receiving your pinball parts in a day with free shipping for a nominal $13/month.

I am not complaining about it, I’m just pointing out that this isn’t a new thing.

#15 1 year ago

Free shipping with Marco now. Code = PINSUMMER22

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Free shipping with Marco now. Code = PINSUMMER22

Will come out a wash paying higher prices on everything

But def a good time to stock up on good rubber

#17 1 year ago

i try to think what it would cost me to drive to Pinball Life and get the parts -

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

So when we get our parcels shipped to Canada they add the bogus clearing customs fees .. so whatever the shipping costs add an extra $20.00 plus

UPS always added more fees at the delivery point here in Canada. One time I called a driver out on it, he didn't collect the fee and just gave me the package. I told him I paid all of the shipping and fees at time of purchase.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I recently shipped a play field via FedEx to an individual in Michigan. Before the play field arrived destination it first went through somewhere in Nova Scotia. Would the price have been more if the destination was in Nova Scotia instead of boomeranging back into the states?

#20 1 year ago

If you bought 27 items, I figure it would be a decent size box and that sounds about right. Makes no difference what the dollar amount of the order is. It could be an expensive small item or something huge and inexpensive. Shipping an empty box is still going to cost the same. Maybe shipping is a few dollars higher than before on average but everything is a few dollars more these days. Nothing to do with pinball.

#21 1 year ago

Marco has free shipping right now, code PINSUMMER22

I do not order from Pinball Life any more because their shipping is crazy high since covid. At least they added USPS back, but they lost a TON of business from me the past couple years.

#22 1 year ago

Rising fuel costs that UPS and Fedex pass on to you via fuel surcharges (lucky you)

not getting better any time soon.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Pinball websites have always charged a ridiculous amount for shipping. Well before inflation and gas prices. They are low volume low margin niche shops, don’t compare them to Amazon or a major e-commerce retailer.

We were not charging anything for shipping for a long time, but we had no choice since costs were rising everywhere. We now charge $1.99, but may need to raise it a little more. We feel charging a little more for shipping is better than raising our goods prices across the board. So, on a typical order, the buyer pays an extra dollar or so via higher shipping instead of a few dollars more for each item they order. We are trying to keep our prices from rising, but the reality is it’s getting more difficult as margins get squeezed.

#24 1 year ago

Often, Marco is cheaper once you see shipping price from pbl

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Marco has free shipping right now, code PINSUMMER22

.. for over $99 orders.. to be clear.

If I order $50 in stuff I don't need to save $8... I can only do that so much

As typical.. needed a $1 part today.. ordered $110 in stuff. Shipping fees under $15 aren't really my biggest concern

#26 1 year ago

Jump from $6200 for TWD Prem in 2016 to $8999 for any Premium Stern game, but man, that $15 in shipping is just TOO FAR.

Love the logic : ).

#27 1 year ago

You can play around on PBL site and add some heavy items without much of an increase. Good time to order extra steel balls. Add and subtract 10 at a time and recalculate shipping. Sometimes I’ll order a set of legs and the price hardly changes. Depending on what you are ordering the price can become reasonable.

#28 1 year ago

There is no such thing as free shipping.
I have been in this business for 20 years and never once has FedEx, UPS or USPS told me "we will ship all your parcels for free today".
EVERY COMPANY THAT SHIPS PRODUCT PAYS FOR SHIPPING.
You can build it into your product cost and exsorb it so that you can offer free or low cost shipping, or you can simply charge what it actually costs to ship the parcel and price your products accordingly. There's no magic involved.
I've elected to choose the latter. Am I right? Probably not since the world is obsessed with free shipping. Therefore, I may one day be forced to reconsider my position. However, the delivered cost of the parts will not change. The Shipping Gods must be paid.

#29 1 year ago

Try living in Australia - you simply cannot do a small order of anything, you end up paying (vastly) more in shipping fees than on the actual merchandise itself.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

There is no such thing as free shipping.
I have been in this business for 20 years and never once has FedEx, UPS or USPS told me "we will ship all your parcels for free today".
EVERY COMPANY THAT SHIPS PRODUCT PAYS FOR SHIPPING.
You can build it into your product cost and exsorb it so that you can offer free or low cost shipping, or you can simply charge what it actually costs to ship the parcel and price your products accordingly. There's no magic involved.
I've elected to choose the latter. Am I right? Probably not since the world is obsessed with free shipping. Therefore, I may one day be forced to reconsider my position. However, the delivered cost of the parts will not change. The Shipping Gods must be paid.

Too true.
Amazon Prime has thrown everyone over the edge...and that shit ain't what it used to be even from the biggest company in the world

#31 1 year ago

Amazon has the best free shipping, only $150 a year

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

You can build it into your product cost and absorb it so that you can offer free or low cost shipping, or you can simply charge what it actually costs to ship the parcel and price your products accordingly.

Love you Pinball Life!

You do what you need to in order to stay in business, and I'll be happy to pay what I need to.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Jump from $6200 for TWD Prem in 2016 to $8999 for any Premium Stern game, but man, that $15 in shipping is just TOO FAR.
Love the logic : ).

We aren't all buying new pins. We have to keep the old ones going.

#34 1 year ago

Just placed an order right now with all this talk about Pinball Life.

$14.48 for shipping.

Let's see what I've got:
10+ rubber rings in different quantities, colors, and sizes. Someone has to spend time picking and bagging all those. Terry if your reading this they can throw all the red ones in 1 bag I don't give a shit it's going on the same machine.

Same amount between springs misc posts.
Assortment of bumper bodies and flipper parts.
I ordered 125 of those Anarchy LED boards. Assuming they come in bags of 100 someone has to count out an additional 25

What will drive up shipping is I have 3 different backglass lift trim coming so it's going to be a larger rectangular box.
Couple flipper coils that probably wont drive the weight up too much.

So if you break down shipping materials, labor to pack my order, and actual shipping costs, $14.48 pretty good deal.

I'll bet I could keep adding small items and the price wouldn't change a bit maybe a few cents.

3 weeks later
#35 1 year ago

Free US ground domestic shipping code from Marco, was posted at their California Extreme booth. Expires 8/4. Code CAX22

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Just placed an order right now with all this talk about Pinball Life.
$14.48 for shipping.
Let's see what I've got:
10+ rubber rings in different quantities, colors, and sizes. Someone has to spend time picking and bagging all those. Terry if your reading this they can throw all the red ones in 1 bag I don't give a shit it's going on the same machine.
Same amount between springs misc posts.
Assortment of bumper bodies and flipper parts.
I ordered 125 of those Anarchy LED boards. Assuming they come in bags of 100 someone has to count out an additional 25
What will drive up shipping is I have 3 different backglass lift trim coming so it's going to be a larger rectangular box.
Couple flipper coils that probably wont drive the weight up too much.
So if you break down shipping materials, labor to pack my order, and actual shipping costs, $14.48 pretty good deal.
I'll bet I could keep adding small items and the price wouldn't change a bit maybe a few cents.

Your one state away from them, approx 300 miles away.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Bravebluerx:

Free US ground domestic shipping code from Marco, was posted at their California Extreme booth. Expires 8/4. Code CAX22

Hey thanks just saved me 10 bucks on the Mick on a Stick plastic that just broke 10 minutes ago.

COde still works as of today.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey thanks just saved me 10 bucks on the Mick on a Stick plastic that just broke 10 minutes ago.
COde still works as of today.

Ha, can you get them by the case?

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha, can you get them by the case?

I picked up two of them.

Hey my first busted Mick plastic in two years of semi-heavy play!

I did discover the aftermarket is pretty light on Stones mods.

Why isn't there a 3D motorized articulated Mick doll I can buy with lifelike pouting lips that gyrate on beat with the songs?

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why isn't there a 3D motorized articulated Mick doll I can buy with lifelike pouting lips that gyrate on beat with the songs?

Because people would do some very disturbing things with it.......”Why is it all sticky?” lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-charges-sigh?hl=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.