(Topic ID: 131594)

Shipping backglasses

By albummydavis

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I have to pick up a backglass while going out to San Diego Comic Con and, unfortunately, ship it back. Anyone have any packing/shipping tips? What kind of boxes do people use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never shipped one before and have always been leary of doing this.

#2 8 years ago

I've bought several backglasses from Mayfair and he ships them like this:

Wrapped tightly in brown craft paper, cardboard corner protectors, layers of bubble wrap, then packed in an outer box with peanuts.

Probably overkill but they always arrive perfectly!

#3 8 years ago

My inlaws use to have a glass shop, so last year before they shut the business down i had them ship about 20 backglass for me. Did not have a single complaint from any of the buyers.

The glass was wrapped in paper, then was placed on a 1 1/2 insh think piece of styrofoam. The styrofoam was cut about 3 inches past each edge. Then another piece of styrofoam was placed on top and cut the same size of the other. Then packing tape was used tightly to hold the pieces together. Was kinda taped like a tictactoe game. Then the whole sandwich was wrapped in a layer of cardboard. Everything always arrived safely.

Since they were a glass company, they had supplies on hand to do this, The styrofoam and the card board would be bought by the pallet load in 5 foot by 10 foot pieces. so it was always custome cut to each piece. I dont know of any local places that sell that size, but im guessing that you could maybe buy smaller sizes like 4 feet x 4 feet and a place like lowes or home depot

I was actualy really worried about shipping the glass, one was a Kiss backglass that sold for 350.00 but he assured me it would be safe. He then asked if I had a glass that i didnt care about. I had some old backglass that had so much flaking it was almost plain glass. He packed it up, the pushed it of his store counter. We opened it up and it was fine

#4 8 years ago

Just borrow locally someone's CPR backglass box.

Give it back when you are done with it.

Good design, never had a broken glass with them yet, and I've reused their boxes many times both ways.

#5 8 years ago

Good info on packing a backglass on the BGResto site.

http://bgresto.com/?page_id=777

1 week later
    #6 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just borrow locally someone's CPR backglass box.
    Give it back when you are done with it.
    Good design, never had a broken glass with them yet, and I've reused their boxes many times both ways.

Ok, I just picked this Power Play back glass and it is pretty much perfect. Now to get it home in one piece

The next week promises to be miserably busy, so vids suggestion seems best. Anyone in San Diego have a cpr box they can sell or spare?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-backglasses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.