(Topic ID: 152402)

Shipping a Sold Game?? What are the dangers as a seller?

By dsmoke1986

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I have interest in a game that I'm selling; I've only sold local before; what are the dangers as a seller that I need to look out for?

#3 8 years ago

Most places won't insure games. You need to carry outside insurance or pray it gets there without a forklift hole in it.

Stuff happens in transit, things break, the game may need some tweaking once it gets there. The person may/may not know how to repair/troubleshoot

#4 8 years ago

Personally, if you're in no hurry to sell, it might be better to wait for local interest than to deal with some of the headaches of shipping if youre not prepared for them. There's plenty of hobbyists in PA and the surrounding areas.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, if you're in no hurry to sell, it might be better to wait for local interest than to deal with some of the headaches of shipping if youre not preared for them. There's plenty of hobbyists in PA and the surrounding areas.

Agreed, that's the one negative about this hobby of pins/vids; especially vids; selling them can take awhile. But I think you are definitely right; will wait it out instead of dealing with a potential major scam/headache.

#7 8 years ago

I would not accept PayPal for your game. Accept a personal check or bank transfer if buyer is not local.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from dawasa:

I would not accept PayPal for your game. Accept a personal check or bank transfer if buyer is not local.

I wouldn't do any of those. Take a look at the link vid posted for the reasons why.

#9 8 years ago

Shoot_Again gladly accepted my PayPal payment for Xmen....... It can work, gotta have faith.

#10 8 years ago

Here in Canada,most companys will not insure a used game.
    I just sold an AC/DC BIBLE recently,shipped uninsured and destroyed in a truck rollover in a storm.
    Buyer will only get 2.00 a pound for coverage.
    His homeowners insurance is the only way he might see some money.

I was paid in full before I shipped the game,still sucks the game was destroyed.
    At least a local sale should have no problems.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Shoot_Again gladly accepted my PayPal payment for Xmen....... It can work, gotta have faith.

Faith is great in church, not in monetary transactions .

Too many well known scams to have faith in Paypal.

Use an IES or be prepared to be fully and violently reamed.

You've just exposed Shoot_Again as a perfect victim.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I have shipped several games and had several shipped without any issues. I prefer to use PayPal as well just because it's so darn easy. I know everyone is terrified of it but I ask for references and give references. I prefer to deal with people that are known on the forum and can provide me references of known people on the forum. For shipping used games I always use STI. No shipper is bullet proof and all will eventually screw up a game but for the most part the do a decent job and are very easy to work with for the buyer and the seller.

As a buyer of a game site unseen you have all kinds of risks. You can send whatever type of payment you want, the seller can always just not send you the game.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

You can send whatever type of payment you want, the seller can always just not send you the game.

That is where an IES 100% protects you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#14 8 years ago

If shipping a game, take a gift from PayPal, or do a bank transfer... Nothing that can get reversed... Then it's up to the buyer to trust you... If u have no refrenses for him to trust u move on

#15 8 years ago

Paypal works great especially if you just accept as a gift. It makes things so dang easy.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Paypal works great especially if you just accept as a gift. It makes things so dang easy.

It's not scam-proof, unlike popular belief. If the funding source is a credit card, the charge can be reversed.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Quoted from lllvjr:

If shipping a game, take a gift from PayPa ... Nothing that can get reversed.

^^^^^ 100% NOT TRUE !!! ^^^^^^^^

This old wives tail is the most dangerous thing ever repeated on Pinside.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-a-sold-game-what-are-the-dangers-as-a-seller and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.