Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Possibly shipping a pin. What method of payment would pinsiders suggest? I have PayPal but I don't want too wait two weeks or whatever it is for money too b released too me

#2 11 years ago

I dont see this mentioned much but you could have the buyer wire transfer the money into your account. Your bank will set up a routing transaction and you will know for sure the money is there before you ship. There is a charge on the payee side-not sure about the recipient .

#3 11 years ago

Wire is normally the best for Receiver, Most banks charge the Sender about $15 to send a wire and few charge to receive it. Funds Transfer twice a day and once it shows in your account the money is yours.

Paypal has other issues as well, they protect the buyer 90% of the time not the seller. So ifs it Fraud or there is an issue.. you will have no money and no pinball.

#4 11 years ago

Small unmarked bills without chronological serial numbers. In a small black duffle bag.

#5 11 years ago

watch out for paypal. it is easy to use, but dont ship the pinner until you have the money on your bank account, not paypal account.
    if the buyer agrees to this than you are ok.

#6 11 years ago

I had a guy pay me with a postal money order once. I guess it depends on the amount. The sad thing is that if the guy is trying hard to stiff you, you really have little defense. Locations would help us. If this is an international deal, then that would present additional complications. I personally don't mind getting a check, so long that it is drawn off a local back (Bank of America, Wachovia, Etc.) Then you can go to the local bank branch and cash the check.

Tom

#7 11 years ago

I've been fortunate buying a pin paying via Paypal but I did pick it up in person. The risk was there, but it worked out fine thankfully. I was willing to pay cash in person but he liked having the payment in full and held it for me due to this.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassanchop:

watch out for paypal. it is easy to use, but dont ship the pinner until you have the money on your bank account, not paypal account.
    if the buyer agrees to this than you are ok

I wouldn't use paypal unless the buyer agrees to send the money as a gift. No fees to you as a gift but the buyer has to trust you as they can't get the money back. If you accept paypal as payment for merchandise you had better trust the buyer because paypal has a long history of siding with buyers on disputes. I would also make sure that the shipping company you use has online tracking with signature delivery proof online. Ship only to the buyers confirmed address or they could claim non-receipt and you would be out the money.

Making sure the money is out of paypal and in your bank account only partially protects you. If there is a claim and paypal decides you are responsible they will try to get the money back from you including sending you to collections and messing up your credit.

#9 11 years ago

If you have a national bank like Chase, Wells Fargo, or a credit union, have the buyer walk into a branch in their home town and deposit the cash into your account. It's 100% secure and available instantly.

A tad better (and cheaper) than wire transfer if possible.

Quoted from Silverballer:

I dont see this mentioned much but you could have the buyer wire transfer the money into your account. Your bank will set up a routing transaction and you will know for sure the money is there before you ship. There is a charge on the payee side-not sure about the recipient .

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

If you have a national bank like Chase, Wells Fargo, or a credit union, have the buyer walk into a branch in their home town and deposit the cash into your account. It's 100% secure and available instantly.
    A tad better (and cheaper) than wire transfer if possible.

But significantly less secure. A bank transfer can be reversed if the deal goes south.

#11 11 years ago

That's why I made the recommendation I did. The OP is the seller and he wanted the best method of receiving payment.

Quoted from Nekojin:

But significantly less secure. A bank transfer can be reversed if the deal goes south.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nekojin:

A bank transfer can be reversed if the deal goes south.

You should actually try this before posting it, because it is not true.

The law says:

§4A-211(c)(2) states that cancellation of a payment order after acceptance by the beneficiary’s bank is only available in instances where the payment was unauthorized or there was a mistake by the sender AND that mistake falls into one of three categories: (i) duplicate payment, (ii) payment to a person or entity not entitled to the funds, or (iii) payment which resulted in the beneficiary receiving more that they were entitled to. The effect of this language is to take issues such as buyer’s remorse completely off the table and legally limit the instances where a buyer can even attempt to recall funds already credited to the seller’s account to only those instances where the buyer can make a claim that the seller received funds to which it was not entitled.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nekojin:

Uh, I don't think so Tim.

Dan

3 weeks later
    #14 11 years ago

Just wanted to chime in here. Chochi_ca did an outstanding job of shipping this pin. Made it half way across Canada without a scratch. If you ever get a chance to buy a pin from Scott don't hesitate! Thanks again!!

#15 11 years ago

Paypal, never had a problem.

#16 11 years ago

Consider yourself lucky.

Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Paypal, never had a problem.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

+1

If you are the seller, there is no better or safer way to be paid. It's as good as cash, and there are no fees on either end. I believe the person making the deposit will need to provide the bank with the account holder's name, account number, and state in which the account was opened.

#19 11 years ago

Sounds like a business opportunity! I think the folks at Pinside should set up a dedicated third party escrow service dedicated to pinball transactions! Use the fees to pay for operating costs. I'd feel much better about using a third party Pinside affiliated escrow service to protect both parties than any of the alternatives presented above.

2 years later
    #20 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

+1
    If you are the seller, there is no better or safer way to be paid. It's as good as cash, and there are no fees on either end. I believe the person making the deposit will need to provide the bank with the account holder's name, account number, and state in which the account was opened.

Is this still best current way to be paid if you are the seller shipping a game to another state? thanks

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Redeyes:

Is this still best current way to be paid if you are the seller shipping a game to another state? thanks

Get a check sent. Wait 3-4 weeks for check to clear. Ship pinball machine.

If time is a crunch show up with cash

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

Get a check sent. Wait 3-4 weeks for check to clear. Ship pinball machine.
    If time is a crunch show up with cash

personal cheques can be reversed even after they clear. I heard the best way was money order because it cant be reversed. Can a bank to bank transfer be reversed after deposited?

#23 9 years ago

Keep in mind the buyer has to be willing to take all the risk with a wire transfer. That's great for the seller of course, but I won't wire transfer anymoney to anyone unless they are extremely credible.

Paypal is more reliable than a few on Pinside would make you think. As a seller I have never had a problem accepting PayPal. I take excellent pictures and video prior to shipment with a newspaper or something that shows a credible date.

By the way I was on the receiving end of a pin that was not as described. Bascially the seller had used too long of screws to secure flipper assemblies, all the screws were driven through the playfield at one time and then someone tried to correct the situation, but only made it worse. The flipper assemblies would not stay attached to the playfield. Unplayable and required some serious MacGyvering on my part.

To make a long story short, I disputed with Paypal and was told I could ship the game back, at my cost or accept a $500 credit. I had to take pictures and such to prove the damage, the seller had taken some pictures, but nothing in that area so he had no legs to stand on.

Keep in mind everything has risk. Keep a good log of email or messages between buyer and seller. By the way anything gifted through Paypal has no protections for either the buyer or seller.

If it was that easy to defraud people by disputing items with Paypal or Credit Card companies it would happen ALL the time. Don't believe the hype.

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Can a bank to bank transfer be reversed after deposited?

Nope when it's done, it's done.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Quoted from gweempose:

+1

Quoted from Redeyes:

Is this still best current way to be paid if you are the seller shipping a game to another state? Thanks!

In my opinion, absolutely. With this method of payment, there is no risk whatsoever if you are the seller. Once the money is in your account, it's yours.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-a-pin-best-form-of-payment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.