(Topic ID: 234064)

Shipmates 1964 Gotlieb - does this flipper coil need replaced?

By oddprime

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by oddprime
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coil2 (resized).jpg
Coil1 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I am a complete novice. This is my first pinball machine. The machine spent its first 10 years at an amusement park, before being purchased from the person I got it from.

With some minor fixing I've got most everything working. I purchased it knowing the right flipper wasn't working.
The flipper wasn't working mainly due to the missing flipper plunger. I ordered a mini rebuild kit from pinwizard.
Tonight after the kit arrived I went to put the plunger into the coil, it wouldn't go. There seems to be two protrusions into the middle of the coil.

Does this coil need replaced? or is there a sleeve inside that is just bad and needs replaced?
according to my schematic this is an A-5141

Coil1 (resized).jpgCoil1 (resized).jpgCoil2 (resized).jpgCoil2 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

That is an overheated sleeve and it looks like in the second pic I can see the coil winding has burnt a small hole through it.
If it were me, I would toss the coil all together and replace it with a new.
-Mike

#3 5 years ago

It's possible the coil is toast. It looks like the coil locked on from a switch getting stuck closed, over-heated and melted the sleeve. You could possibly carefully drill out the sleeve. A new sleeve would probably go back in, but if the wiring varnish insulation inside the coil is compromised, you'll need a new coil.

If you can find the resistance of that coil on a chart somewhere (or if your game has another A-5141) you could compare resistance readings. You'd have to unsolder the wires.

Honestly, for the $10 or whatever the coil costs, probably best to replace.

#4 5 years ago

Are flipper coils something that should be replaced in pairs?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from oddprime:

Not usually necessary. But since one was burned I'd check the resistance of the other, make sure it's still good.

Can't hurt to rebuild the flipper mechs while you're in there either

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from oddprime:

No. But I would rebuild them in pairs.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

No. But I would rebuild them in pairs.

Guess i'm going to use the mini rebuild kit to actually rebuild the flippers instead of just getting it for the flipper plunger.
Ordered 2 Coils and am just going to plan on doing everything on both.

#8 5 years ago

Check the flipper operating switches too. Either file them properly or replace if you badly pitted.
Your flipper kit should include EOS switches so once the operating switches are in good fettle, you should have a nice set of flippers.

For what it's worth, I tend to fit Orange dot coils instead of the standard coils ( same part number) as these are a little more powerful so it generally plays better but its up to you of course.

1 week later
#9 5 years ago

I got in my pair of 5141's in and I used the kit to rebuild the right flipper. But its really lacking the "umpphh" of the left flipper. It can barely get the ball up to the middle of the play field, let a lone perform like the left flipper which can easily put it up into the upper playfield. Wonder what some next steps are to see where I did something wrong with getting it put back together.

#10 5 years ago

Check to make sure your EOS Switches for the Flippers under the Playfield and the Cabinet Burton EOS Switches are adjusted correctly, if not you will have weak flippers even with new coils.

#11 5 years ago

Did you install and adjust new End-Of-Stroke switches? Are said switches wired correctly?

When you replaced the flipper coils, did you wire them correctly?

I have seen instances where brand new end of stroke switches have come with a protective coating on the contacts' faces. Clean that coating off with 99% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

#12 5 years ago

I went in to adjust the switch, bending it to match the engagement identical to the left one, which I did not work on. Closed the lid, plugged it in and pressed the button and nothing. machine won't come on. I must of giggled some wiggly bits that I didn't realize it so more trouble shooting here I come.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Check to make sure your EOS Switches for the Flippers under the Playfield and the Cabinet Burton EOS Switches are adjusted correctly, if not you will have weak flippers even with new coils.

this is a 1964 game, yer just a little too modern with that pic

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

this is a 1964 game, yer just a little too modern with that pic

Couldn't find a video that talked about Gottlieb Flippers from the 60's, so I figured this would at least give him some sort of idea what to look for.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Couldn't find a video that talked about Gottlieb Flippers from the 60's, so I figured this would at least give him some sort of idea what to look for.

One of the 5 things I did got my machine back on so I’m happy with that. All though video isn’t my setup it gave me the info I needed. My End Of Stroke switch was being set too early I bent the switch so that it now is engaged just at the end of the flipper coil extension. And I have now have adequate power to send the ball anywhere on the play field

Thank you for the link and the help. Played my first games with both flippers fully working. So I’m a happy camper!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipmates-1964-gotlieb-does-this-flipper-coil-need-replaced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.