• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3DF782AC-B3EC-4F27-9204-C59A4BDEC7F6 (resized).jpeg
80830B9C-09B7-45F4-9BB8-8F8077EE9714 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

My Ship Ahoy stopped playing and scoring in the middle of a game and did not eject the ball after draining. After restarting the power, the coinslot and backbox graphics, scorebox, ball number and Tilt, but not the Game Over, lights were lit. Trying to start a new game did none of the usual things, like resetting the ball count, zeroing the scoring reels, spinning the motor, lighting the playfield, ejecting the ball, activating the flippers, etc. With the playfield up, all of the fuses and voltages seemed fine and the only things I saw happen with a power restart were the TX Tilt relay and coin slot coil energizing. I gave up, made dinner then went back to check everything I could think of, but nothing seemed wrong. Even though the top motor pin was under one of the three level D switches, I decided to spin the motor a third turn to put the pin under the next switch. When I turned on the power, the machine started right up and played perfectly thereafter.

Can someone explain what might have happened?

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 1 year ago

Sounds to me like you have some of these.

80830B9C-09B7-45F4-9BB8-8F8077EE9714 (resized).jpeg80830B9C-09B7-45F4-9BB8-8F8077EE9714 (resized).jpeg
#3 1 year ago

I had something similar happen to my Ship Ahoy last week. Honestly, I’m not sure what was causing it, but I fiddled with the AX and I haven’t had any issues since.

3DF782AC-B3EC-4F27-9204-C59A4BDEC7F6 (resized).jpeg3DF782AC-B3EC-4F27-9204-C59A4BDEC7F6 (resized).jpeg
#4 1 year ago

Sounds like the motor didn’t make its way to home position, stopped short.

#5 1 year ago

When I had issues with the AX relay, the motor kept spinning and the machine reset would not complete. In this event, it does seem like the motor pin was not in the home position, but visually did appear to be directly under one of the three D switches. Also, I would have thought that if the motor had somehow stopped out of the home position, either a repower or new game start would cause it to advance and reset. Thanks, Jeff.

#6 1 year ago

I would have looked at the C-level cam (not the D-level) and verify the switch stacks were in the valley.

If I am thinking of this correctly, switch stack 1C opens the circuit to all the relays that could power the motor, except for one switch that closes to power the motor onwards to its home position.

If the motor doesn’t reach home, those switches aren’t closed and the motor can’t run again.

This is the fault of that one switch that closes while the others are open. (If you find it consistently doesn’t reach home, you need to clean, decarbonize, and maybe even re-crimp that switch.)

It’s been a while, please correct me.

But if you wanted to test this theory, it’s easy to block that switch with paper, turn the cam out of position a little, and fire up the machine to see if your problem is re-created.

#7 1 year ago

I appreciate your explanation though doubt I’ll be correcting you about anything anytime soon. I don’t know what made me even think to try turning the motor, other than I happened to be looking at it after poking around and finding nothing for an hour. If I get curious, I may try your suggestion, otherwise just keep it in all in mind in case it happens again then start with the motor.

#8 1 year ago

Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ship-ahoy-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.