• Latest reply 1 year ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SA Scoring (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Set up my Ship Ahoy after it being in storage for a couple of months. I noticed that when scoring 100K+ that it'll light the lamp, but when scoring 200K+, 300k+ etc, that it doesn't light those respective lamps.

Looking at the schematic, it shows that there is a plug for Novelty vs AAB. Is this a function of that plug or do I have something else going on?

SA Scoring (resized).jpgSA Scoring (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

That’s the plug that enables the 200K+ scoring and also much higher scoring for the playfield. Get ready for the knocker to go off endlessly every time you hit 1000 points!

Makes for some fun, high scoring games, but the endless knocks made me switch it back to AAB.

Alberto

#3 2 years ago

The same stepper is used to count WOW on the AAB and then the 200K+ scoring in the Novelty mode. Sadly they are mutually exclusive

#4 2 years ago

Thank you! This makes sense! My buddy found an older post explaining the stepper unit and the logic behind it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-add-a-ball-count-unit?fbclid=IwAR0rT18FvnksryV57GMprI1YdhJ6S7Rbz3_0LVFSivDARnGp7kk4tKO9fbs

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

The same stepper is used to count WOW on the AAB and then the 200K+ scoring in the Novelty mode. Sadly they are mutually exclusive

But it would be a great hack to add another stepper unit and do both! There may even be a thread on that topic. To search for more info, try the search string "Italian add-a-ball" because this dual-personality system was originally inspired by the Italian restrictions.
.................David Marston

#6 2 years ago

Steve Charland modified a Lucky Hand to light multiple scoring thresholds as well as award AABs. As dmarston mentions it involved adding a stepper. There is some mention of it on RGP and used to be documention on the TeamEm site but I believe that site is NLA.

#7 2 years ago

I’d really like to do that on Neptune. Once you get a few extra balls it’s easy to exceed 100k and all those lights are just sitting there

Dave

#8 2 years ago

any resettable stepper unit capable of at least 10 steps up from reset can be used. A nine step unit would take a little more work.

how the step-up and reset coils get wired into the game is somewhat dependent on the game, but if ya want to do it and aren't sure how, get a stepper and start a topic on what to do. People will usually jump in quickly with modification ideas that use someone else's fire insurance

#9 2 years ago

I'll pass on modifying the game I'm actually selling it to a friend this weekend and while testing the game out (it had been stored for a few months) played a 200K+ game and noticed that the light didn't light. Funny enough, I was never good enough to score 200K+ during ownership so never noticed lol.

When looking at the schematic, it had seemed to my dumb brain that it was an either/or function of the AAB/Novelty modes. After reading how the ball counter is dual function from the link above, it made sense but I'm glad to have confirmed the function and that the game is working as intended.

It's up to my friend if he wants to add another stepper unit

#10 2 years ago

I find it funny that it works this way because you would think in AAB mode, that the scoring is higher and that you would want to enable the 100K lamp scoring function vs in Novelty mode, where you can't earn extra balls.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

any resettable stepper unit capable of at least 10 steps up from reset can be used. A nine step unit would take a little more work.
how the step-up and reset coils get wired into the game is somewhat dependent on the game, but if ya want to do it and aren't sure how, get a stepper and start a topic on what to do. People will usually jump in quickly with modification ideas that use someone else's fire insurance
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"3d857d9dda4a5ef1b094adcc7aa7fbc61d457893-1625861013-1800"};
//]]>

Yup, you’re right. Seems like the existing 100k relay circuit can give me the step up, finding a reset pulse shouldn’t be too hard

Thanks,
Dave

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I’d really like to do that on Neptune.

Should we turn this into some kind of workshop at Pintastic New England? There should be plenty of AAB experts there.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I find it funny that it works this way because you would think in AAB mode, that the scoring is higher and that you would want to enable the 100K lamp scoring function vs in Novelty mode, where you can't earn extra balls.

My high score in AAB was about 600,000 (I think, sometimes I loose count over 200,000), but when in Novelty mode, I’ve gone over 1,000,000 in five balls.

I have it in novelty now, but do miss AAB, so I’ll switch it back sometime soon.

#14 2 years ago

dmarston -- why not? They might also be interested in machines that give credits and aabs. Check out William's Jive Time. It might give you some ideas. AZKenny

8 months later
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

But it would be a great hack to add another stepper unit and do both!

OK, add-a-ball fans, it's happening! We will have a seminar at Pintastic New England 2022 about this modification! It will probably be Friday afternoon. dgAmpGuy and Peruman should plan to be there! (Also Mopar gdonovan Dono DropTarget jrpinball Cash_Riprock who always seem to post on threads about AAB games.) It will be a great technical discussion, I hope.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

OK, add-a-ball fans, it's happening! We will have a seminar at Pintastic New England 2022 about this modification! It will probably be Friday afternoon. dgAmpGuy and Peruman should plan to be there! (Also Mopar gdonovan Dono DropTarget jrpinball Cash_Riprock who always seem to post on threads about AAB games.) It will be a great technical discussion, I hope.

Very cool, David.
My wife and I are hoping to be there on Friday if all the stars remain aligned. Meeting Alberto in person would be a nice bonus as I have admired his work

Dave

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Very cool, David.
My wife and I are hoping to be there on Friday if all the stars remain aligned. Meeting Alberto in person would be a nice bonus as I have admired his work
Dave

Dave

It would be great to meet you, you have helped me out so many times. This past Pintastic was my first one, unfortunately family obligations made it so I could only be there on Thursday to drop off a game for the free-play room (a Domino I had reconditioned) and Sunday to pick it up.

Dave Marston, I will be there, adding higher scoring to Ship Ahoy would be great.

I’m saving that Friday for Pintastic.

Alberto

#18 2 years ago

I think the exact game used for the seminar will be Neptune, but the design principles should apply to all the Gottlieb add-a-ball games after Gold Strike that have the humongous Add-A-Ball/Novelty adjustment plug.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

That’s the plug that enables the 200K+ scoring and also much higher scoring for the playfield. Get ready for the knocker to go off endlessly every time you hit 1000 points!
Makes for some fun, high scoring games, but the endless knocks made me switch it back to AAB.
Alberto

i guess you can replace the knocker with a bell if you wanted..

4 months later
#20 1 year ago

The seminar has been posted on YouTube:

It's easier than you might think, but still mainly for EM-wiring wonks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ship-ahoy-scoring-200k- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.