By rcbrown316

1 week ago

Stats

• Started 1 week ago
  • 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by rcbrown316

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

#1 10 days ago

anyone know the type of finish on the truss head screws that shines up so nice in the tumbler? is it stainless, zinc, nickel? visualize old ballys like centaur etc. Thanks!

RB

#2 10 days ago

I just buff em. They all look nice.

#3 10 days ago

Older hardware may have been Cadmium plated. It polishes up beautifully, looks like chrome with a slight blue cast to it. Cad plating produces nasty toxic waste (Cadmium is a poisonous heavy metal) so you cannot get it anymore.

Chrome was not generally used on small hardware, but it shines up like...chrome. Proper chrome is done with a copper flash layer, then nickel plating, then chrome. Chrome is porous and the nickel layer is critical to getting chrome plating that lasts. That's why chrome plated legs rust.

Stainless needs to be a very smooth finish and then electropolished to get a shiny surface, otherwise SS parts will be a matte silver.

Nickel plating is a more matte and dull silver color.

All the commonly available hardware you get now is zinc plated. It will polish up nicely, but relatively quickly gets dull. Excellent rust protection if there is a thick enough layer.

My guess is cad plating is what Bally and others were using. For 1960's stuff, that is definitely all cad plate.

Don C.

#4 10 days ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

Older hardware may have been Cadmium plated. It polishes up beautifully, looks like chrome with a slight blue cast to it. Cad plating produces nasty toxic waste (Cadmium is a poisonous heavy metal) so you cannot get it anymore.
    Chrome was not generally used on small hardware, but it shines up like...chrome. Proper chrome is done with a copper flash layer, then nickel plating, then chrome. Chrome is porous and the nickel layer is critical to getting chrome plating that lasts. That's why chrome plated legs rust.
    Stainless needs to be a very smooth finish and then electropolished to get a shiny surface, otherwise SS parts will be a matte silver.
    Nickel plating is a more matte and dull silver color.
    All the commonly available hardware you get now is zinc plated. It will polish up nicely, but relatively quickly gets dull. Excellent rust protection if there is a thick enough layer.
    My guess is cad plating is what Bally and others were using. For 1960's stuff, that is definitely all cad plate.
    Don C.

I was going say exactly that, but he beat me to it.

#5 10 days ago

Dsuperbee-I buff mostly everything metal except the screws. I tumble those. I just want anything new I buy to tumble up as close to the results I get with the old hardware as possible.

Don_C- Great info. Exactly the insight I was looking for

Beelzepud- go f_ck yourself

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 15.00
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Tim's Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Plating and More
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.