(Topic ID: 181526)

shiniest finish for screws/hardware?

By rcbrown316

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

anyone know the type of finish on the truss head screws that shines up so nice in the tumbler? is it stainless, zinc, nickel? visualize old ballys like centaur etc. Thanks!

RB

#2 7 years ago

I just buff em. They all look nice.

#3 7 years ago

Older hardware may have been Cadmium plated. It polishes up beautifully, looks like chrome with a slight blue cast to it. Cad plating produces nasty toxic waste (Cadmium is a poisonous heavy metal) so you cannot get it anymore.

Chrome was not generally used on small hardware, but it shines up like...chrome. Proper chrome is done with a copper flash layer, then nickel plating, then chrome. Chrome is porous and the nickel layer is critical to getting chrome plating that lasts. That's why chrome plated legs rust.

Stainless needs to be a very smooth finish and then electropolished to get a shiny surface, otherwise SS parts will be a matte silver.

Nickel plating is a more matte and dull silver color.

All the commonly available hardware you get now is zinc plated. It will polish up nicely, but relatively quickly gets dull. Excellent rust protection if there is a thick enough layer.

My guess is cad plating is what Bally and others were using. For 1960's stuff, that is definitely all cad plate.

Don C.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

Older hardware may have been Cadmium plated. It polishes up beautifully, looks like chrome with a slight blue cast to it. Cad plating produces nasty toxic waste (Cadmium is a poisonous heavy metal) so you cannot get it anymore.
    Chrome was not generally used on small hardware, but it shines up like...chrome. Proper chrome is done with a copper flash layer, then nickel plating, then chrome. Chrome is porous and the nickel layer is critical to getting chrome plating that lasts. That's why chrome plated legs rust.
    Stainless needs to be a very smooth finish and then electropolished to get a shiny surface, otherwise SS parts will be a matte silver.
    Nickel plating is a more matte and dull silver color.
    All the commonly available hardware you get now is zinc plated. It will polish up nicely, but relatively quickly gets dull. Excellent rust protection if there is a thick enough layer.
    My guess is cad plating is what Bally and others were using. For 1960's stuff, that is definitely all cad plate.
    Don C.

I was going say exactly that, but he beat me to it.

#5 7 years ago

Dsuperbee-I buff mostly everything metal except the screws. I tumble those. I just want anything new I buy to tumble up as close to the results I get with the old hardware as possible.

Don_C- Great info. Exactly the insight I was looking for

Beelzepud- go f_ck yourself

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shiniest-finish-for-screwshardware and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.