By rcbrown316

9 months ago

Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by rcbrown316
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 months ago

anyone know the type of finish on the truss head screws that shines up so nice in the tumbler? is it stainless, zinc, nickel? visualize old ballys like centaur etc. Thanks!

RB

#2 9 months ago

I just buff em. They all look nice.

#3 9 months ago

Older hardware may have been Cadmium plated. It polishes up beautifully, looks like chrome with a slight blue cast to it. Cad plating produces nasty toxic waste (Cadmium is a poisonous heavy metal) so you cannot get it anymore.

Chrome was not generally used on small hardware, but it shines up like...chrome. Proper chrome is done with a copper flash layer, then nickel plating, then chrome. Chrome is porous and the nickel layer is critical to getting chrome plating that lasts. That's why chrome plated legs rust.

Stainless needs to be a very smooth finish and then electropolished to get a shiny surface, otherwise SS parts will be a matte silver.

Nickel plating is a more matte and dull silver color.

All the commonly available hardware you get now is zinc plated. It will polish up nicely, but relatively quickly gets dull. Excellent rust protection if there is a thick enough layer.

My guess is cad plating is what Bally and others were using. For 1960's stuff, that is definitely all cad plate.

Don C.

#4 9 months ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

Older hardware may have been Cadmium plated. It polishes up beautifully, looks like chrome with a slight blue cast to it. Cad plating produces nasty toxic waste (Cadmium is a poisonous heavy metal) so you cannot get it anymore.
    Chrome was not generally used on small hardware, but it shines up like...chrome. Proper chrome is done with a copper flash layer, then nickel plating, then chrome. Chrome is porous and the nickel layer is critical to getting chrome plating that lasts. That's why chrome plated legs rust.
    Stainless needs to be a very smooth finish and then electropolished to get a shiny surface, otherwise SS parts will be a matte silver.
    Nickel plating is a more matte and dull silver color.
    All the commonly available hardware you get now is zinc plated. It will polish up nicely, but relatively quickly gets dull. Excellent rust protection if there is a thick enough layer.
    My guess is cad plating is what Bally and others were using. For 1960's stuff, that is definitely all cad plate.
    Don C.

I was going say exactly that, but he beat me to it.

#5 9 months ago

Dsuperbee-I buff mostly everything metal except the screws. I tumble those. I just want anything new I buy to tumble up as close to the results I get with the old hardware as possible.

Don_C- Great info. Exactly the insight I was looking for

Beelzepud- go f_ck yourself

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 87.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,499.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.50
    $ 21.00
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 275 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside