• Latest reply 6 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2667 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

The "Upper to Lower" ramp on my WH20 (leads from the mini pf to the right inlane) has a slight lip where it meets the mini pf. A few odd things: 1) Pretty sure this is an original ramp, since I bought the game in the late 90's when such things were still widely available. 2) It seems to be slightly worse in the middle, though the underside seems to be flush with the wood. 3) Hard to see in the pics, but the screws sit at an angle, and due to this the front edge of that foreground screw is slightly elevated above the ramp, adding another obstacle for the ball to trip on. Maybe 1.0mm of ramp, and another 1.5mm of screw head sticking up at the worst point.

I'd like to make this edge (more) flush, but can't think of a great way of handling it. Shaving the bottom side of the ramp seems difficult, with no reference for "flat". Shaving the top side seems like it would likely leave ugly results exposed. And what to shave it with, anyway? A Dremel seems hard to freehand.

In terms of getting clean results, shaving the wood with a router seems like the best bet... but talk about nerve wracking! Sanding the underside of the ramp seems like the least violent, but again, difficult to be precise & probably won't look great.

Anyone else successfully dealt with this issue?

btw - in response to the obvious question, "Is it a huge problem?": Unfortunately, I don't know. The game's been in storage for years, and I'm just now refurbishing it - it's in pieces on my work table right now. I know I'll probably have to put it all back together, and then play it a bunch before attempting anything. But I'm still interested in the answer to this question.

IMG_2667 (resized).jpgIMG_2667 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Shave the wood under the ramp as it's supposed to have a lip anyways. If you shave the ramp itself it would make it weaker.

Another option would be to add a ramp flap to the ramp but do to the flipper their you may have to make a custom one. If it was my game I would just sand down the factory wood lip enough to allow for a smooth transition if it was causing problems.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaving-advice-ramps-not-back and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.