Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU (resized).jpg
ball switch (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170301-224202 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170301-220416 (resized).png
Harness (resized).jpg
GamePlan_SDU1_J3.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizard_mode.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago

See if the coils fire when you short the driver transistors from the SDU to the ground in the backbox. This is really easy to do by just connecting the big metal tab at the top of each transistor to the metal in the back box with a peice of wire. If the coil fires then you know you have good connections between the playfield and the SDU. If the coils do not fire, check the harness connector. I had a very similar issue on a SSII where the harness connector between the head and the playfield needed to be repinned. Another thing to check is the 74154 at U16 on the MPU. This is a hex decoder chip that can be tested in cicruit...

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Swoll:

I was able to check the voltage on the J3 connector. I get 30.09 volts on pin 13, 13.00 volts on pins 1 & 2, and i get 5.05 volts on pin 15 (No wire in pin 14). When I check voltages on the header pins with J3 unplugged i got around 6.5v on pins 1-7 (except key pin 3) and 7v on pins 13-15. Just wanted to see if this was normal.
Also, when I grounded the pins on J4 i was able to get the coils to fire. So i pluged it back in and grounded each on the MPU side by tracing them and they fired as well. So it sounds like it might be on the MPU, right? Do you guys know of any area on the MPU to investigate first?
PIN 17 on U1 was 6.04v (I believe i got the correct pin)
Thanks for all the help so far!

Check u16 74154 chip.

#12 7 years ago

sorry i meant u14 74154. do not shotgun replace it before testing it. you can easily test this chip in circuit using the dmm diode function.

#15 7 years ago

I just reread your thread from the beginning. Sorry I came late with the transistor grounding idea. Looks like you already did that. Did you check the switches that fire the coils by doing a switch test yet? I had the same issue on my SSII where I lost the coils. They would fire by grounding the transistors. I started poking around on the MPU like you are and I even replaced u14. Turned out to be the head/pf harness connector for the coil switches. 2 pins deactivated all the coils. I recommend trying a switch test and if the coil switches do not register try the following: remove the switch molex connector from the mpu (j5 i think?). Go into switch test mode and connect the pins on j5 that correspond to the switches that are out. If they register, then the issue is in the harness...

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Swoll:

So i might have caused some confusion on the switches. When I run a ball around the playfield it starts to rack up score, so it seems at least some score switches work. I am not sure about solenoid switches. When I tried to run a diagnostic test i didn't have much luck. When i pressed the button inside the coin door I didn't get much. The first 1-11 presses just seemed to count up on the ball/credits display. 12-14 didn't even show on the display, and 15 showed "40" in all the player scores. From my reading online it seemed like I should have gotten more from the diagnostics, so either I didn't do it right, or more issues with this machine...
This is my new evening project when time allows, so i didn't get much time tonight to mess with it. I did try to start tracing playfield switch wires to the back box, but it seems some wire colors might change at the connectors. I wasn't sure what pins on J5 i should jump to the coils switches as well. I didn't check any voltages during the test either as i wasn't exactly sure when the solenoids should fire (press 14?). I will try again when i have more time tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help. As i'm sure you can tell i am new to pinball machines but feel like i am at least making some progress.

Hey don't fret! The wire colors should not change across the connectors. Some of the connectors are interchangeable too! So make sure you have them hooked up correctly...

#20 7 years ago

hmmm yeah the yellow with black is the 24v coil voltage supply. interesting...

#21 7 years ago

If you can get into the switch test, use this part of the playfield schematic to guide you. For example, jumping pins 1 to 13 on j5 should close the kickout switch. 1 to 10 should close the upper right bumper switch. Etc, etc. If this works then the 74154 is working properly... Before doing all that, just try depressing the bumper skirts in switch test to make sure they close...

Screenshot_20170301-220416 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170301-220416 (resized).png

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

What happens when you simply activate the coil related switches in game mode (pop bumpers, slingshot, saucer switches - etc) - do they score?

I think the score switch is activated when the pop drops so after the coil fires. For the others I am not sure I would check for you but my SSII is down at the moment...

#25 7 years ago

Here is a SSII manual screenshot. It should ne the same since they both use the MPU2. You need the press the diagnostic button 15 times to get into switch test...

Screenshot_20170301-224202 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170301-224202 (resized).png

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Swoll:

New development. I was messing with the harnesses in the back trying to trace wires, and now when I turn it on, the top left bumper fires, at least i think that called a bumper (the round blue one). Still does not register in a solenoid test though. Could this just be those harness wiring? I believe Wizard, you said that was an issue with yours that caused similar coil issues?

Yes it sounds like a harness connector that the switches hook to. none of those coils will fire if the switch signals do not get to the mpu.

#29 7 years ago

Look for the wire colors shown going to j5 on the schematic shot above. Those are the same color wires that go to the suspect connector on the playfield harness...

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Swoll:

I don't mean to flood this with post. It's Friday, so i have a little more time tonight. I cleaned some of the connectors, and now it seems that most of the switches for the coils do register a score. They still do not fire, and there are zero sounds to the game after the initial boot sound. Flippers still working too.

Are you getting 6 flashes on the MPU?

3 weeks later
#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Swoll:

Well, just to update if anyone is following this. I replaced both U14 and U21 and there appears to be no change. Still no field coils working, and only some of the switches score. It seems none of the switches for the coils score (if they are supposed to).

I think we are back to the wire harness. I thought before you said the coil switches scored though? Would be good to narrow the issue down to the board. Can you check continuity between the coil switches and the end of the wire cluster that hooks to MPU board connector J5?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wizard_mode.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharpshooter-no-field-coils?tu=wizard_mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.