After I got my Sharpshooter up and running I knew it was a matter of time before a drop target would break as it was getting played heavily. I knew Data East targets would work as a replacement with some modifications as they are longer. One night my daughter in-law informed me that "one of the guys won't reset". My fears were realized and one of the drops was broken. So and order was off to Pinball Life for Data East replacements, $12.50 for a set was very reasonable alternative to the unobtainium originals.
First I removed the reset solenoid, switches and removed the drop assembly.
Took the cage apart
We have a cowboy down
The new replacements arrived from Pinball Life
I contemplated leaving them white but decided to try painting them and see how that works. I picked up a can of Krylon Fusion Red, a paint for plastics. I washed the drops with alcohol to clean any release agent from them and gave them a couple coats.
This turned out well but rubbing my finger across the edge of the target would remove paint from the edge. So I give them a coiple of coats of Krylon clear and cut the target decals slightly larger to help protect the face of the target as the Data East targets have a slightly wider head.
Placed them back into the cage. I read where the Data East targets were 1/4" longer but actually they are 5/16" longer so I made a couple of 5/16" shims for the cage.
Ready to go back in