Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I finally got a chance to boot up my newly acquired Sharpshooter project, and the displays are all screwy. Some are only showing certain digits (like the first player display is showing the 100,000 digit and 100 digit, but none of the others)... Other displays have a flicker to them and are displaying garbled up numbers. Not sure if this is a display problem or mpu problem... How can i troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

(I'll follow up later with a video showing the display issue, hopefully that will help to figure out what's going on)

#2 5 years ago

Fixed! Turns out *every* display board had at least one bad MPSA13 transistor on them! I had enough replacements on hand to fix 2 of the player displays and the credit/match display, and all 3 work perfectly fine now. I think it's safe to say that will be the solution for the other 2 displays as well. What threw me off here was that none of the displays were working correctly--isolating each one to test individually didn't help, which led me to think there was a bad chip on the board or a bad connector. I didn't expect a single bad transistor to throw off a display to such an extent, but with these Gameplan ones that's all it takes! Hopefully this will help someone else down the line. Fwiw, i used MPSW45A transistors in place of the MPSA13 (just a heavier-duty version of the MPSA13).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharpshooter-display-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.