(Topic ID: 179142)

Sharkeys Shootout tournament mode?

By beekey

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have an issue with a Sharkeys Shootout I received a few weeks ago. It seems if change to tournament mode (home, papa, ifpa) I cannot start a new game. The start button is not lit. (I've added credits =) I checked both the switch for the glass and the lockdown bar, and they are activated. (Don't know if this only applies if you have the I.T tournament kit installed). The game works perfectly fine if I i set tournament mode to none. Also I am unsure of the tournament button? under the normal start button, the manual does not mention it..

Any suggestions?

#2 7 years ago

Your game should have an extra small board that came with the TOPS kit, in the backbox. Maybe you are missing that ? Or have it hooked up wrong.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Sharkeys was before TOPS. I believe TOPS started with Playboy; http://www.pinballnews.com/news/tops.html, according to this article the
I.T. Tournament play system that was meant for Sharkeys wasn't released at all?

But I assume you should be able to switch to tournament mode like with any other game without any tournament kits.. ?

Quoted from LTG:

Your game should have an extra small board that came with the TOPS kit, in the backbox. Maybe you are missing that ? Or have it hooked up wrong.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from beekey:

But I assume you should be able to switch to tournament mode like with any other game without any tournament kits.. ?

All that would do is make game play the same for all players. Nothing random.

1 year later
#5 5 years ago

I reviving this thread because I can’t find a resolution to this problem either. Could a code update resolve this perhaps?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Could a code update resolve this perhaps?

No. The TOPS system installed runs with any version of software.

You need the small TOPS board and correct harness to be able to run TOPS tournaments.

#7 5 years ago

This game came out before TOPS. The setting in question (Adjustment 41) cannot run a tops tournament. All Sharkey's came from Stern with a tournament button. As far as I have seen, it can't be used in any way at all.

The tournament setting choices are: IFPA, PAPA, EXPO, HOME or None. However, only NONE will allow you you start a game.

Those have nothing to do with a TOPS tournament. TOPS was designed to be a separate section of the "Portals menu system".

I did find an additional adjustment in the manual (#52) for “tournament button” ON or OFF, but it is not there in the menu choices! So, initially, I thought it would not appear if the tournament board is not installed...

HOWEVER, according to this, the TOPS kit isn't even compatible with Sharkey's:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5011-00

That makes sense since the game was released well before a TOPS kit existed.

Also, technical information about the varies revisions of the Stern Whitest MPU indicate that only the "G" revision of the board will work with TOPS kits:
http://www.pinballsupernova.com/images/Sega_Stern%20White%20Star%20Repair%20-%20PinWiki.pdf

1 month later
#8 5 years ago

Did you find any solution? My conclusion was that tournament mode requires the non-existing I.T. Tournament-system, and they did not bother to update the code to allow it to play tournament mode the regular way...

Anyone knows if the prototype Golden cue firmware will work in a Sharkeys machine btw?

#9 5 years ago

There is no solution. I contacted Stern and they informed me via email that the software to utilize a tournament mode was was never finished.

Golden Cue sort of works... there are a few inserts and switches that are not correct though. So you would likely have to make an adapter or such to play that game in Sharkey's, accounting for the lamp matrix/sw. matrix differences.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Boards
PinSound

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharkeys-shootout-tournament-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.