Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20170318_130713 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Does Sharkey's Shootout need 62256 RAM? Jerry Clause mentioned to me he has a board that does not boot when the RAM is setup for 64Kb ram.

FM1808 should work as a replacement as it has A14 connected to pin 1 (NC in FM1608). I have that trace routed on my SO28 to DIP28 boards, if there is a need I can whip up a few. I think I even have a few DIP28 FM1808 that came mixed in with bulk lots of FM1608 if anyone wants to test one to see if it works.

#2 7 years ago

??

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-62256-nvram-module-wpc-whitestar-sharkeys-shootout

The answer is yes. And why bother? It's not like it's THAT popular of a module.

No need to test it, it's already been tested by PinballManiac40. It works, good to go on Sharkey's Shootout.

One of these days I'll create something that someone else doesn't do a few weeks or month later. Probably won't be in circuit boards though.

#3 7 years ago

Interesting. I am surprised no one has complained to me about it. I guess Sharkey's isnt that popular of a game (i thought it was an OK player). I was under the assumption no WS MPUs needed more the 64Kb ram. Last I checked, all the NVRAM sellers listed Sharkey's as compatible.

I didn't realize you had made adapters already for Sharkey's. But anyways RAMTRON beat you to the market with a drop in part by about 15 years =D.20170318_130713 (resized).jpg20170318_130713 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

But anyways RAMTRON beat you to the market with a drop in part by about 15 years

Interesting information almost nobody cares about:

The drop in part pictured is now obsolete and is no longer manufactured in that package type, with the exception of Chinese counterfeits of them which still have the RAMTRON name on them ... on the plus side, at least someone is still making them; on the downside, they can't be legally sold in the U.S.

The module sold by Cypress, who acquired Ramtron International in 2015 is only available in a SOIC package which is the one used by and offered by pinitech as a drop in replacement.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Interesting. I am surprised no one has complained to me about it. I guess Sharkey's isnt that popular of a game (i thought it was an OK player). I was under the assumption no WS MPUs needed more the 64Kb ram. Last I checked, all the NVRAM sellers listed Sharkey's as compatible.
I didn't realize you had made adapters already for Sharkey's. But anyways RAMTRON beat you to the market with a drop in part by about 15 years =D.

I guess it's not that popular of a game to get upgraded. Often enough, lists of games compatible with products are just guesswork based on what info is out there, what games the designer had for testing & lists of games per MPU version. Real compatibility issues seem to get flushed out as customers become beta-testers, either knowingly or unknowingly -- when the first round of boards make their way out. Some incompatibilities aren't caught for years.

As far as the 62256 nvram, been offering it since end of last year @ http://www.pinitech.com/products/62256_nvram.php

Not on anyone's radar because the FM18W08 is more expensive & it probably seems pointless to do a module with a pricier chip when a 6264 NVRAM works in most games. But I still saw it as a neat way to swap like-for-like and avoid any jumper changes at all. Confirming recently it solved the a problem with Sharkey's was icing on the cake. So I post an announcement about it, and here we are.. in some kind of weird beat-around-the-bush dance so you can put out the same thing that no one thought was needed =D.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

in some kind of weird beat-around-the-bush dance so you can put out the same thing that no one thought was needed =D.

lol...
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
first time i heard about it

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

lol...

first time i heard about it

Well that is crazy sir, I'll give you that. It seems likely that Jerry tried a 6264 in Sharkey's after seeing my announcement post from yesterday (bumped this morning just hours before he text messaged you). If purely coincidence, we should probably all play powerball tonight

I do apologize if you somehow missed my post on a new product with the info in there about Sharkey's.

Apparently Rob A. mentioned the incompatibility 7 months ago here -- https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-all-stern-white-star-experts#post-3291108 I tripped into that when I searched last week, before sending a 62256 module out for PinballManiac40 and confirmed the hunch.. just took actually getting the module in the machine to verify all was good with a 62256 nvram installed.

#8 7 years ago

Sharkey's Shootout is unique to all Whitestar games in two ways. The RAM needs to be 62256, and the PIC (U213) is unique to only that game.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Sharkey's Shootout is unique to all Whitestar games in two ways. The RAM needs to be 62256, and the PIC (U213) is unique to only that game.

Out of any other games a 62256 may be used in, is Sharkey's the only exception you're aware of Rob?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Out of any other games a 62256 may be used in, is Sharkey's the only exception you're aware of Rob?

Yes. Every other game produced by any manufacturer, that I'm aware of, that could use a 62256, could also use a 6264.

Williams/Bally included the ability to take advantage of the additional space in all WPC games. They never used it though. All WPC games in all variations can use a 6264 RAM as long as R93 is populated.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#11 7 years ago

you get flexibility (or incompatibility) in some setups too since FM1608 does not use a CE2 at P26. It being NC (CE2 in SRAM) allows the FM1608 to work in boards setup for 62256 that dont use extra addressed space.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

you get flexibility (or incompatibility) in some setups too since FM1608 does not use a CE2 at P26. It being NC (CE2 in SRAM) allows the FM1608 to work in boards setup for 62256 that dont use extra addressed space.

Yeah I think on Whitestar games you can use a 6264 without changing jumpers to the 8k setting if you're replacing a 62256. Not sure that holds true for every Whitestar board revision. AFAIK WPC needs to have the jumper changes done, for sure WPC-89 as John Wart mentioned WPC-89 wouldn't boot without the jumper changes. Regardless, it's probably best if you can set the jumpers appropriately for the memory type used. Some of the Whitestar boards are easy-enough with the jumper blocks / shunts on the MPU to switch between 8k and 32k.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

... AFAIK WPC needs to have the jumper changes done, for sure WPC-89 as John Wart mentioned WPC-89 wouldn't boot without the jumper changes. ...

As I mentioned, R93 needs to be populated, nothing else needs to be done. W3 is irrelevant for real world functionality.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

1 week later
#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I tried searching Pinside threads but I came up empty when I was learning the hard way (on my own). haha I guess I will never forget it now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharkeys-shootout-need-62256-ram and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.