63BA2B23-6DED-4EE3-9125-24F71635F1C1 (resized).jpeg
A8B8984C-CFA5-43B1-9FC0-2BE8B5E75161 (resized).jpeg
BAF0AED9-F833-42BA-B1E4-EE7C480681EC (resized).jpeg
057AABB3-38D6-4292-9E96-DD4C9B2F1731 (resized).jpeg
ECA4057A-5CD1-4F36-96BE-B3FADDB84564 (resized).jpeg
B93E5A3A-5882-4DE4-88C2-3BA45CCA8F68 (resized).jpeg
359B917A-347D-4826-97AA-CBBE23CDA4F5 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I am torn between keeping this game or parting it out. The head is horrible. Broken corners on the head. Is there a want for parts if I decide to part it out? It is a complete game I think as I have never owned one so I can’t be positive. Thanks.

#2 5 years ago
057AABB3-38D6-4292-9E96-DD4C9B2F1731 (resized).jpeg057AABB3-38D6-4292-9E96-DD4C9B2F1731 (resized).jpeg359B917A-347D-4826-97AA-CBBE23CDA4F5 (resized).jpeg359B917A-347D-4826-97AA-CBBE23CDA4F5 (resized).jpeg63BA2B23-6DED-4EE3-9125-24F71635F1C1 (resized).jpeg63BA2B23-6DED-4EE3-9125-24F71635F1C1 (resized).jpegA8B8984C-CFA5-43B1-9FC0-2BE8B5E75161 (resized).jpegA8B8984C-CFA5-43B1-9FC0-2BE8B5E75161 (resized).jpegB93E5A3A-5882-4DE4-88C2-3BA45CCA8F68 (resized).jpegB93E5A3A-5882-4DE4-88C2-3BA45CCA8F68 (resized).jpegBAF0AED9-F833-42BA-B1E4-EE7C480681EC (resized).jpegBAF0AED9-F833-42BA-B1E4-EE7C480681EC (resized).jpegECA4057A-5CD1-4F36-96BE-B3FADDB84564 (resized).jpegECA4057A-5CD1-4F36-96BE-B3FADDB84564 (resized).jpeg
#3 5 years ago

It’s a decent game with a layout based on Eight Ball Deluxe. I have no idea why you would even consider parting it. Head should be a pretty easy fix and it would be worth more in playing condition. Maybe look for a replacement head from a normal Stern backbox. I always wanted to add art to the plain white anyway.

The Whitestar CPU board is the only part of significant value in my opinion. The playfield looks pretty good. The back scoop can be really blown out.

#4 5 years ago

Definitely worth saving. A little bondo on that head and its good as new. I've fixed worse.
Sharkeys is a decent game, kinda like an updated EBD. Not a terribly deep rule set, but not easy to beat the game.

#5 5 years ago

Ditto with Toaster's GLS comment above...It'd be a shame to part out - doesn't look that bad and someone with moderate skills could easily fix the head.

Does it work?

#6 5 years ago

Really cool stand up targets and outlane save posts. DO NOT PART OUT!!

#7 5 years ago

Why would you even think of parting it out? It's a complete game with no mold or animal urin. I'm really hoping the question is a joke.
I've saved way worse.

#8 5 years ago

Here is the deal. I bought this from a seller in a package deal. The wiring for the plug to plug it in is gone. And cut up. I can’t be certain the game even boots up or what is missing. And I already have 13 pins to work on. So for me I asked the question as it might have been better to save machines then to fix up. So it really was not a joke. I know I over payed for it and was just asking. I hope I didn’t offend anyone.

#9 5 years ago

Why not sell it as is as a project and get some if you’re money back from this package deal. You can set the price your comfortable with and ether it will or won’t sell.

#10 5 years ago

Neither, you should sell it to me I love Sharkey's Shootout!

#11 5 years ago

I will sell this game complete. The way it is. When I get home I will get pics of under the playfield and the boards. I’m in this game at 1350.00 so you tell me. I have decided that I’m going to sell it complete the way it is and will not part it out.

#12 5 years ago

A neat lighting effect to do on this game is to grab a couple pink flex LEDs and put them over the sign along the back wall. Makes it glow like neon.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from tonyhoff1:

I will sell this game complete. The way it is. When I get home I will get pics of under the playfield and the boards. I’m in this game at 1350.00 so you tell me. I have decided that I’m going to sell it complete the way it is and will not part it out.

Might want to snap a couple of the side art too while you are at. The head damage - some people probably don't even care if they stick it next to other games.

#14 5 years ago

Sounds like only a few minor issues.

This would be the kind if project I would be happy to find.

#15 5 years ago

Selling it as a project is the right thing to do. Many people myself included prefer a project game.

#16 5 years ago

I'm not against the idea of parting games when they truly are "parts" machines. I have parted a few games over the years. That said, this one is not a parts game. Shop it out and play it or sell it to someone as-is who will get it running.

#17 5 years ago

Be a shame to part it out ... Fix or sell to somebody that will give it some attention

#18 5 years ago

Do not part that out. No no no.

Sell as a project.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Might want to snap a couple of the side art too while you are at. The head damage - some people probably don't even care if they stick it next to other games.

My thoughts exactly. As long as the game is complete, it can be fixed up well enough for someone to enjoy. Cosmetics aren't everything!

#20 5 years ago

I always wanted one of these.

Im not looking to buy a game but I could be tempted

#21 5 years ago

Would be insane to part out. Fantastic game, bet 20 minutes of work and it would boot...

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

My thoughts exactly. As long as the game is complete, it can be fixed up well enough for someone to enjoy. Cosmetics aren't everything!

That's one thing I learned when I started collecting a couple of years ago (and I still consider myself a newbie). While it's truly amazing what some people do with the restorations, sometimes they are just meant to be enjoyed with all the scars and warts. Not all are going to be museum pieces.

$1350 doesn't sound too bad if someone wanted a newer game...it's only 18 yrs. old and the playfied looks nice. As long as they can deal w/the possible electronics issues, someone might get a nice game at a reasonable price.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That's one thing I learned when I started collecting a couple of years ago (and I still consider myself a newbie). While it's truly amazing what some people do with the restorations, sometimes they are just meant to be enjoyed with all the scars and warts. Not all are going to be museum pieces.
$1350 doesn't sound too bad if someone wanted a newer game...it's only 18 yrs. old and the playfied looks nice. As long as they can deal w/the possible electronics issues, someone might get a nice game at a reasonable price.

Totally agree! I bet it would take WAY more time to part it out, sell and ship the parts and all the crap involved with selling used parts compared to fixing the game up....

#24 5 years ago

It's actually a very early Stern that happens to also be fun to play.

This game was made when Stern was just getting started and at the time, fans of pinball didn't even know if Stern Pinball would survive past a few games. There are less than 1,000 of these and it would really be sad if this game was parted. I'm glad to see you went the other way with it.

The game uses some cool features with magnets and timed outlane save rules. It's a great throwback to Bally EBD. If you are a fan of EBD, you will probably like Sharkey's.

The sounds are so-so but it's currently Stern's most undervalued+underrated game IMHO. (That was previously WPT ) It's also a good earning location game because it's low maintenance and a bar theme.

#25 5 years ago

Any of you "sell it as a project" folks willing to pay $1,350 for a beat up Sharkey's in Ohio that may not even boot up? My guess is as is that's a $1,000 machine.

I'm pretty lazy so I'd probably do my best to get rid of it even if I had to lose a couple hundred bucks on it. But for this guy it may make a lot more sense financially to part it out. Not a popular game and I've seen nice working ones going for around $1,500 so do the math.

As an aside I've never seen a Stern head in that kind of shape but then again I think this is the only Stern game with this type of cab? Did they make these cabs with foam core? Did this thing get dropped or something?

#26 5 years ago

I'd find a newer style head and refit it onto the Sharkeys. Always hated that ugly white Golden Tee head.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Any of you "sell it as a project" folks willing to pay $1,350 for a beat up Sharkey's that may not even boot up?
I'm pretty lazy so I'd probably do my best to get the $1,350 or lose a couple hundred bucks on it. But for this guy it may make a lot more sense financially to part it out. Not a popular game and I've seen nice working ones going for around $1,500 so do the math.

Yeah I would not be in for this sharkey's project at 1,350. shame because if it booted i would be driving there right now but too many unknowns. i would just spend $200 more and get a nice working one.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As an aside I've never seen a Stern head in that kind of shape but then again I think this is the only Stern game with this type of cab? Did they make these cabs with foam core? Did this thing get dropped or something?

As I remember it, the game was co-designed by Incredible Technologies (the Golden Tee Golf people) and was originally called Golden Cue. It was going to use their online tournament system, but it didn't test well so that never happened. After the SEGA split, Stern needed a game, had this one laying around, reworked it slightly and voila. I would imagine the non standard head is a holdover, or maybe it cancelled so late in the cycle they already had cabs made?

#29 5 years ago

I wish this game was in worse shape

I would love to re-theme this to a Pokemon Pinball game. It practically re-themes itself.

The eight ball > Pokeball. Drops on right > spell pokemon.

If somebody had a beat up playfield, I'd consider buying this and swapping playfields, just for the retheme.

#30 5 years ago

Haven't seen many nice working Sharkey's around the midwest. If I had not just bought a nice one I would have considered it. The head had Golden Tee/Incredible Technologies styling and was meant to have artwork... As stated earlier, the IT agreement did not cary over from Sega to Stern.

Most people don't realize that Stern's first released game with their branding on it was not Striker Extreme.

In order of Stern release, it was:
South Park (1999 at Sega)
Harley Davidson (1999 at Sega)
Striker Extreme
Sharkey's Shootout (1998 as Golden Cue)

Even stranger, the first "designed" game on that list is actually Sharkey's, then South Park, then Harley. All started at Sega.

I've actually seen 2 "Stern" branded South Parks here in the midwest and there isn't even a mention of it on ipdb.org.

This thread has proof of a NIB STERN SOUTH PARK for the doubters: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-in-box-south-park-by-stern

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Any of you "sell it as a project" folks willing to pay $1,350 for a beat up Sharkey's in Ohio that may not even boot up? My guess is as is that's a $1,000 machine.

There might not be a lot of Pinsider's willing to pony up $1350. But for someone with a DIY attitude and some electronics experience that is just starting to look for a pin to buy and first looks on Craigslist...Tony might get a bite. Seen a fair amount of EM's near a $1K. So I could see someone noticing a newer game for not much more.

#32 5 years ago

What I did. Patch and repaint the back box and install new tee molding and some nice vinyl decals on sides.
It doesn't get easier than that.
I removed the circuit boards from back box and used a saws-all blade in hand to clean out routed grove so new tee molding sat level in groove. There were some high spots that cause bulging. Also, use a rubber mallet to pound tee molding down. The tee molding I chose was black with a chrome stripe. Decals from Zazzle.com
https://www.zazzle.com/number_8_billiards_ball_eroded_and_aged_classic_round_sticker-217270665398165350

IMG_1183 (resized).JPGIMG_1183 (resized).JPGIMG_1185 (resized).JPGIMG_1185 (resized).JPG
IMG_1188B (resized).jpgIMG_1188B (resized).jpg

Added over 6 years ago:

Disregard above link...Use this one...

https://www.zazzle.com/number_8_billiards_ball_eroded_and_aged_classic_round_sticker-217894597173371913
https://www.zazzle.com/number_9_billiards_ball_eroded_and_aged_classic_round_sticker-217605995592880328

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharkeys-shootout-?hl=tonyhoff1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.