3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by roc-noc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Did anyone catch shark tank last night ? The guy who has the vitrual pinball machines was on.

#2 3 years ago

DVR I'll check it out thanks.

#3 3 years ago

Yeah I saw that and he got Damien to invest in his company. Sorry I don't think VP is the future of pinball when i can play it on my handheld iPad for several thousand cheaper

#5 3 years ago

I can't imagine ever putting one of those things in my collection under any circumstances.

#6 3 years ago

Just saw it I played this at shows and sorry it wasnt my cup of tea.

Not a.buyer

#7 3 years ago

I built one of my own, a mini, and customized it. If you pump nice computer hardware in them they can be quite fun. I use it to try out games and play rule sets before I go buy a game. If nothing else but having the satisfaction of having 300+ digital pins at my finger tips.

And yes I still think that the real game will never compare to the digital iteration

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Sorry I don't think VP is the future of pinball when i can play it on my handheld iPad for several thousand cheaper

It's like MAME for arcades, kind awful and not much like the real thing, but there's a giant selection and less space/less cost/less repair. Get a partially-clueless guy in his 20's or 30's with nothing else to do and a big wallet, and there ya go.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

It's like MAME for arcades, kind awful and not much like the real thing, but there's a giant selection and less space/less cost/less repair. Get a partially-clueless guy in his 20's or 30's with nothing else to do and a big wallet, and there ya go.

Pretty much

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I think Mame is a heck of a lot closer to the real deal as they're are both video.

As for pinball, a video representation, even with force feedback, is just not the same.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigbadmiker:

I think Mame is a heck of a lot closer to the real deal as they're are both video.

Then in the arcade community you get into how awful LCDs are for the picture and why CRTs are better for it, etc., so there's also a world of differences there too

#12 3 years ago

I was just shocked to see anything pinball related in prime time.
    I'm just glad they threw his company a bone on the show. Looks like he put a lot of hard work into it no matter where it goes.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I was just shocked to see anything pinball related in prime time.
    I'm just glad they threw his company a bone on the show. Looks like he put a lot of hard work into it no matter where it goes.

Very true, Brad is a really good guy. I've enjoyed several conversations with him.

I do have a mame setup that utilizes a CRT, there are several games that I cannot tell a bit of difference, and some I can tell easily that they are not original. But never the less, I have several hundred games in 1 machine rather than have several hundred machines that I have to maintain ?

#14 3 years ago

And for those reasons above; I'm out......

#15 3 years ago

The few I tried to play had so much flipper lag I don't think I ever finished a game.

#16 3 years ago

congrat to these guys.I have played a number of these machines and early on thought it would be fantastic...but never felt the love on any of them.those digital incarnations just got no soul.they might be good to check out about a specific title to see if you like it or learn the rules.at the end of the day its not real pinball.so im out.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

The few I tried to play had so much flipper lag I don't think I ever finished a game.

Have you played one recently? I bought one from them and I experience no flipper lag at all. It is great.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

It's like MAME for arcades, kind awful and not much like the real thing

Not true at all. Arcade games have no physical component that can't be implemented. Pinball machines do.
    MAME runs the original game code exactly as it runs on the original hardware, emulated so well it's nearly indistinguishable from the original hardware. If you're playing a MAME game using quality joysticks, spinners, & buttons I challenge you to tell the difference under a double blinded testing process.

Pinball physics emulation is not accurate enough yet. It probably will be someday, but it's not yet.

#20 3 years ago

My MAME cabinet I built was converted from an old 4player TMNT machine.

It still uses the 25+ year old Wells Garder CRT monitor, that runs at its native resolution and refresh rate via an ArcadeVGA video card. 90% of the MAME games I run look exactly identical to the original machines, and play the same due to my spinner and arcade controls setup.

With that said, pinball is a completely different ball game and cannot be emulated like the real deal.

I wouldn't want one to replace a real machine, but compliment my physical machines. I am not interested in playing recreations of physical tables, I'd want one to play PinballFX2 tables on it, but bring a physical element to virtual pinball.

#21 3 years ago

If there's BIG MONEY behind VP now then please do this:

Motion track the player's head so the perspective of the playfield can change in 3D. This scene from Mission Impossible is a good example of what I mean.

Maybe hire a pinball-loving genius like Jeri Ellsworth to help you out? http://www.castar.com/

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can't imagine ever putting one of those things in my collection under any circumstances.

I kind of agree with this. Unless space and money were ridiculously tight and you just had to have a machine in your home. I think the iPad alternative is just as good and way cheaper.

I've played them...it just doesn't translate the magical physical flavor of the game...

#24 3 years ago

It's not the SAME game as pinball.

If people go in with that expectation, they will be disappointed.

To me, it's an entertaining DIFFERENT kind of game.

Personally, I don't have unlimited space or funds for every pinball game Id ever want to play.... if I did, I would scoff at virtual pinball too.

However, I've found them a fun alternative to not have a game at all!

Example:
    I will likely NEVER own a BBB or a CC, but virtual pinball allows me to enjoy some of the fun of that game... for free.
    Likewise, there's many games I find the callout humor to be better than the actual game play (SS comes to mind) and that's also an enjoyable game to play around with on virtual pinball.
    Lastly, I tend to get bored quickly with some games... VP saves me the hassle of moving 300lb machines in and out out of the basement overtime i get bored with a particular title.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I will likely NEVER own a BBB or a CC, but virtual pinball allows me to enjoy some of the fun of that game... for free.

This is why I built a killer widebody virtual pin. I did end up selling it to fund GoT pre. Because real pinball IS better then virtual pinball. Just like driving a car is more fun then playing gran turismo on a simulator, but there is a place for both and both can be enjoyed.

I will own another virtual pin in the future BUT there needs to be full 4K support, full head tracking, a simple software package, and a better physics engine.

I like pinball arcade and pinball fx but both need improvements before I'd build a cabinet around them. Virtual pin is nice in a cabinet, but the software is not user friendly enough to make it a simple solution. Future pinball has some nice features like BAM, but I was never able to find quality tables to play, again not a user friendly experience.

My virtual pin build had many great games that I wouldn't get a chance to play in real life, never mind owning them.

These VP cabinets are the best around, they really have a great product in the world of virtual pinball machines and deserve the shark tank bump.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

If there's BIG MONEY behind VP now then please do this:
    Motion track the player's head so the perspective of the playfield can change in 3D. This scene from Mission Impossible is a good example of what I mean.
    » YouTube video
    Maybe hire a pinball-loving genius like Jeri Ellsworth to help you out? http://www.castar.com/

Jerri is already a friend

#27 3 years ago

Congrats on the win!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 70.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 89.99
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside