Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Leeps
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Shark or Dyson?”

• Dyson 37 votes
      54%
    • Shark 32 votes
      46%

(69 votes)

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

We are in need of a new vacuum cleaner. As an old man at the ripe age of almost 36 (with back issues), I need something with the detachable parts for easier use. What is better Shark or Dyson? I hear great things about both.

#2 5 years ago

I always get the cheapest I can. They wear out about the same time. And I'd rather throw a $50 cleaner in the dumpster than a $1K one.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Miele they are the best!!!

#4 5 years ago

I bought a Dyson a couple of months ago
    has better suction than my old corded vac

only gripe is the container for the dust is small, you will need to empty it often

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

We are in need of a new vacuum cleaner. As an old man at the ripe age of almost 36 (with back issues), I need something with the detachable parts for easier use. What is better Shark or Dyson? I hear great things about both.

Dyson is f’ing awesome! The handheld one with all the attachments. I forgot what’s it’s called.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

Get a Dyson, but wait for a clearance to the Shark price. Walmart is still clearing some out that were $299 for $49-69. Target also clears them out once a year.

Here's the walmart inventory checker for one of the clearance vacuums:
    https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=53676273

#7 5 years ago

Was a Dyson fan but the newer models arent as robust as the old. Got a Miele bag vacuum and it is the best. My wife vacuums a lot and we only replace the bag every 10-12 weeks.

Had two hand held dysons and both have problems regarding the trigger.

#8 5 years ago

I’ve got a shark. By far the best vac I’ve ever had.. it’s 6 years old and I’m still amazed how much crap it picks up every time I use it. Plus they are about half the price of a dyson.

#9 5 years ago

I have both, both purchased in the last six months. I bought the shark first, my wife hated it, coming from an old animal Dyson. She hates change, thought she was being silly. Bought a new Dyson, and it feels far superior to us in every single way. The Shark has a new home in my trailer up North, and the Dyson is at home sucking every single day. The Dyson was worth every penny.

I will only admit my wife was right to a bunch of strangers on the internet, no need for her to go mad with newfound power.... lol

#10 5 years ago

We use a Shark Navigator DLX. Light and easy to use. Detaching the container and emptying the contents is a piece of cake. We're pretty happy with it.

#11 5 years ago

I bought the newest shark....love it.

#12 5 years ago

The older Dysons seemed better. We have 2, an older model and new one. I about shit when she told me she bought the $600 new one (at a tremendous discount *probably a lie*). I've had to replace the canister and head on the older one, and the extension doesn't work now, but it gets corners like no other. So sad that I know this.
    The little Shark we've had for like 10 years and that thing is a damn tank. Suction like it's brand new, no shit. Never replaced a single part on it.
    Since the Sharks are so much less, but just as powerful and less maintenance, I vote Shark all the way.

#13 5 years ago

Sharks are still really good and soooo much cheaper, so that's my only option.

#14 5 years ago

Also....its pretty fuckin sad this is our Sat night conversation. Gettin old sucks. Get it?!
    Pah dum chhh.

#15 5 years ago

Simplicity - made in USA. Saving good people from bad vacuums.

#16 5 years ago

Neither. Miele. For life.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Neither. Miele. For life.

Yes Sir

#18 5 years ago

We had a Dyson Ball at our office for a while. Worked well enough, but the attachments were clumsy and everything felt way over engineered not because it was better, but just because it was possible.

We bought a Shark Navigator for the house recently. It’s several hundred dollars cheaper, and so much more simple and straightforward. Crazy suction too.

For my money, I’d go with the Shark.

#19 5 years ago

Love my handheld dyson v6 Motörhead, it’s been a great vacuum for the last few years. I’d definitely recommend one.

#20 5 years ago

From my wife, who used to design vacuums for Hoover: Get the Shark. Sharks are great. Dyson vacuums are horrible and test the worst. They're all marketing hype. Unless you have all hardwood floors, then it doesn't matter.

#21 5 years ago

Love our shark, much cheaper than dyson too.

#22 5 years ago

had a couple Dysons and I like them but they're not perfect...and I refuse to get the ball. Later models when they figured out to keep the wand inside the handle was good.
    Heard nothing but great things aboot the Shark but never had the pleasure.

#23 5 years ago

I have a new dyson. It's awesome, best vacuum I've ever owned. Requires very little effort to push around thanks to the ball.

#24 5 years ago

I bought a SEBO about 10 years ago. It's the best vacuum I've ever owned. It was expensive, but the salesman talked me into it. It was a great decision. It's simple, works great and is made to be taken apart easily. You can get to every part within seconds.

I also travel a lot, and have noticed that Marriotts use the same vacuum, although under a different name.

my 2¢

#25 5 years ago

Oddly enough, I just had to make this decision. We had owned a dyson animal and it finally died. I did my research, did some informal polling of friends and decided to buy a shark (model nv752). We've had it for about 3 weeks now and I really like it. Super sucky (in a good way) and I like how the motor portion detaches so you can use the stick part to get under furniture, etc. The detachable part, used with the included tools, makes doing stairs very easy.

While I really liked our Dyson, the shark was hundreds cheaper, and so far is a very nice vacuum. We got ours from bed, bath, and beyond and with sale they had going on and a 20% discount (they send out coupons all the time), I saved $100 off the regular price. I felt like it was a pretty good deal

#26 5 years ago

We were Dyson (and still use the cordless), but replaced all corded Dyson with Shark and have no regrets — we have 4, Sharks are better.

#28 5 years ago

This thread really sucks, ha!

I've was really fascinated by the Dysons as well and after researching and trying, I found the Shark was close yet a portion of the price. Bed Bath and Beyond sends out 20% off coupons all the time if you're on their list. Shark is the value, really does have comparable suction if you get on of the upper models. I went with a lift away canister and have a deluxe navigator as well.

https://www.thevacuumchallenge.com

#30 5 years ago

so which shark are we talking about. i had the dyson animal ball it was awesome, but when she left, so did the vacuum! God.. i miss that vacuum!

#31 5 years ago

Dyson went into the trash, what a pile of crap. Replaced with a Miele and never been happier.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

One nice thing about dyson, is they sell parts directly. They seem to be decently easy to work on, but I just fixed my bissel and shark vacuums as well. Dyson is some nice euro engineering, you just pay for it... but you get what you pay for

#33 5 years ago

I always buy vacuums at Costco because any issues, even a year later, it’s an easy exchange. We exchange our Roomba units yearly because they always break. Still under warranty, but it’s easier to deal with Costco

#34 5 years ago

Shark, got 2 or em

#35 5 years ago

Have a dirt devil razor and it seems to do a great job. Of course I was one that had the mindset of just get the better of the cheap ones. Had a $40 eureka that we had for 8 years and wife bought the new one but I still have the old one just shopped it out with new belt and filters. Use it for the patio.

#36 5 years ago

My main issue is cleaning our carpeted stairs. The lift away part of the shark is what really interests me for easier cleaning. We currently have an old Eureka and the hose tension is so tight that you can't really use it because it pulls the entire vacuum with it. But soooo many people love their dysons.

#37 5 years ago

We're in the market for a new cannister vacuum. I notice a lot of votes for miele. I like the price point but doesn't have a separate power head. We have hard wood floors but lots of rugs and wife wants/needs a power head for rugs and couches for dog hair. I see Shark at almost half the price as dyson so leaning that direction. Went thru two (supposed top end) Kenmore canisters in less then 4 years. Never again

#38 5 years ago

I have a Dyson ball, its really easy to push. Only gripe is rhen you use the wand you have to rewind the whole cord because that's what it hooks on.

#39 5 years ago

Miele or Sebo if you need a real vacuum.

Dyson makes a decent handheld.

#40 5 years ago

Shark for me all the way. My opinion on today's Dyson, great vacuum, but your paying extra for the name. My shark has been really great..... removable so you can use it as a handheld, swivels, cleanout is easy, has never plugged, and plenty of power..... Any more and your removing carpet

#41 5 years ago

My wife always wanted to buy cheap vacuums. Seemed like every year we had to buy a new one.

Finally convinced her 3 years ago about spending more and buying the Dyson. I love the vacuum. Suction is still going strong.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

... only gripe is the container for the dust is small, you will need to empty it often

That's true of all those bagless vacuums, plus needing to buy new filters on a regular basis. I'm on my second bagless vac and am seriously looking into buying an commercial vacuum that uses a bag. The bagless ones are not worth it. And Dyson's claim about having suction at "100,000 times the force of gravity"? Why don't those things implode into a black hole when you turn them on?

#43 5 years ago

MIELE.

#44 5 years ago

I have both the shark lift away Deluxe and the dyson. Hands down the dyson. The shark is a piece of shit. Want to buy it cheap? It falls over. Doesn’t have half the suction or the dyson and the attachments are crap.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Drenden:

I have both the shark lift away Deluxe and the dyson. Hands down the dyson. The shark is a piece of shit. Want to buy it cheap? It falls over. Doesn’t have half the suction or the dyson and the attachments are crap.

I bought the $250 Shark, don't remember the exact model but I returned it after 2 weeks. Bought a $360 dyson and couldn't be happier. Bought it from home depot website, it was normally almost $500.

#46 5 years ago

Best for hardwoods, without scratching them???

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Best for hardwoods, without scratching them???

Sebo X4

#48 5 years ago

I use Shark and Dyson. Dyson machines are great, but really check out each model before you buy. Some are very application specific. My Motörhead is great on hardwood and low pile carpets, but I wouldn’t use it to vacuum my whole house. (I use the DC65 for that.)

I use sharks in the restaurants because they get the shit beat out of them. They do a pretty good job for the money. I like them!

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Also....its pretty fuckin sad this is our Sat night conversation. Gettin old sucks. Get it?!
    Pah dum chhh.

I figured, who better to ask then people who love pinball?!

#50 5 years ago

Not to derail the OP’s question, but I gotta ask:

Everyone voting for Meile, are you using their canister vacuums? What makes them that much better? I’ve always felt canister vacuums were really clumsy to use.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shark-or-dyson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.