• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by kbliznick
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 9 years ago

I've put a bunch of work into restoring my Taxi playfield, and was wondering about the implications of sharing these decals with other people. There doesn't seem to be any "official" place to buy them, and when they show up on eBay, they appear to be unofficial versions no different than mine.

Does anyone around here have any experience in distributing decals they created (for free or otherwise)? I'm not sure about the legality and/or effective consequences of it. I'd love to help other people out, but not if it'll get me in trouble.

#2 9 years ago

If someone anonymously posted them to alt.binaries.e-book.technical they could never be taken down and would be available to everyone forever.

#3 9 years ago

If it's Bally/Williams artwork then you need to get the Licensing from PPS

#4 9 years ago

Yep, depends on the title. I recreated the Rollergames insert from scratch. It was just bold Arial Font and some geometric shapes. Did this without scans. So there is no artwork to license. The team logos for the middle six inserts are owned by the Rollergames people and not Williams.

For Taxi you could openly distribute the text inserts but not the cars or faces or people.

#5 9 years ago

Also it's probable under fair use that you could probably share the artwork scans with people who own a Taxi and plan on restoring it as long as you did not sell them decals or sell them the files. Would be somewhat similar to ROM files. You both own the game, you both have license to own the artwork and rom files, you both have the right to restore your games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sharing-playfield-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.