(Topic ID: 220055)

Sharing Alaska ( the "other" road to Denali)

By Tomass

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 173 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Tomass
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 262 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191016_151206 (resized).jpg
20191015_125455 (resized).jpg
Resized_20190928_121755(1) (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190919-150333_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190919-150305_Gallery (resized).jpg
Resized_20190914_172822 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20190914_182717 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20190914_182411 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20190914_172308 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20190914_185153(1) (resized).jpeg
Resized_20190914_162945 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20190914_162919 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20190914_162908 (resized).jpeg
Resized_20190914_160924 (resized).jpeg
20190915_070326 (resized).jpg
20190915_070313 (resized).jpg

There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 28 days ago

Man, I can see winter coming. Just a few thousand feet up.

Screenshot_20190919-150305_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190919-150333_Gallery (resized).jpg
1 week later
#152 19 days ago

I have dreamed about living in Alaska since highschool.

Originally studied three years of natural resources at college in order to work in the National parks up that way, but left and started down the route of HVAC trade.

In about three years, when I get all my licenses, I plan on leaving Connecticut. I still find myself looking at realtor and Zillow for listings in Wasilla, Anchorage and Fairbanks every few weeks, along with companies hiring HVAC techs.

I was curious to see what your opinion is on the viability of a mid 20's kid being able to move up that way and etch a comfortable living?

I have weighed out considerations such as climate, commute, dark/light cycles, and long distance family relations. Any other ideas for things I should consider?

Thank you guys so much for posting these pictures. They are truly inspiring!

#153 19 days ago

I have always enjoyed looking at snow capped mountain peaks. I never really thought about how cool it would be to watch that happen. But sadly like Fall colors on the trees it is a reminder of what is coming. Keep the pictures coming! One of these days I would love to come visit!

#154 19 days ago
Quoted from StupidJackpot:

I have dreamed about living in Alaska since highschool.
Originally studied three years of natural resources at college in order to work in the National parks up that way, but left and started down the route of HVAC trade.
In about three years, when I get all my licenses, I plan on leaving Connecticut. I still find myself looking at realtor and Zillow for listings in Wasilla, Anchorage and Fairbanks every few weeks, along with companies hiring HVAC techs.
I was curious to see what your opinion is on the viability of a mid 20's kid being able to move up that way and etch a comfortable living?
I have weighed out considerations such as climate, commute, dark/light cycles, and long distance family relations. Any other ideas for things I should consider?
Thank you guys so much for posting these pictures. They are truly inspiring!

As far as making a decent income, AK has plenty of opportunities. Lots of people work on rotational cycles up north on the "slope". They essentially work 12 hours days 7 days a week and will do 2 weeks / 2 weeks off or 3 on 1 off. They make very good wages and the time off seems nice. I couldn't do it with having kids and all, but some do. Companies will pay the flights to and fro, so you can live about anywhere. I personally do not care for Fairbanks but love the areas around Anchorage. Fairbanks gets very hot in summer and really cold in winter and the views are not as nice. I suggest taking a trip, but you will likely fall in love and not want to leave. Summers are perfect with the long days. Winter is long but beautiful. Northern lights are a treat as well.

#155 19 days ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I have always enjoyed looking at snow capped mountain peaks. I never really thought about how cool it would be to watch that happen. But sadly like Fall colors on the trees it is a reminder of what is coming. Keep the pictures coming! One of these days I would love to come visit!

Yeah, you can see old man winter creep down the mountain.
Come on up! I could show you around. Just need a flight to Anchorage.

#156 18 days ago

My wife took this yesterday from Walmart. Not ready for winter just yet but it's getting closer.

Resized_20190928_121755(1) (resized).jpeg
#157 18 days ago

cdnpinbacon reported that the jelly and jam made it safely. He can add his opinion on the fireweed jelly, but he said he liked all of them. I would say it is similar to a honey taste.

#158 15 days ago

Hey Tomass! Finally got my hands on some home town syrup! I'll pm you the track nbr tomorrow. The jelly is fantastic. Fresh Alaskan Jelly. Sweet and spreads like butter. I gave away a few jars and have every Saturday morning coffee and toast. I would market and sell it. I didn't get a chance to try the blueberry because my crazy in law sister grabbed it!

#159 15 days ago

The fire jelly is our favourite.

#160 15 days ago

Packing the box tonight!
Hockey season starts tonight
I bought a pinball machine today
Now packing a present for you!
It's Christmas in Canada

#161 15 days ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Packing the box tonight!
Hockey season starts tonight
I bought a pinball machine today
Now packing a present for you!
It's Christmas in Canada

Awesome! Thanks man!

#162 13 days ago

I shipped out a box to Tomass but I must come clean...I ate the ketchup doritos

#163 13 days ago

Every location in the world has its own growing zone. Alaskan Jelly not same as replicated elsewhere . I'll keep buying it

#164 12 days ago
Quoted from Tomass:

As far as making a decent income, AK has plenty of opportunities. Lots of people work on rotational cycles up north on the "slope". They essentially work 12 hours days 7 days a week and will do 2 weeks / 2 weeks off or 3 on 1 off. They make very good wages and the time off seems nice. I couldn't do it with having kids and all, but some do. Companies will pay the flights to and fro, so you can live about anywhere. I personally do not care for Fairbanks but love the areas around Anchorage. Fairbanks gets very hot in summer and really cold in winter and the views are not as nice. I suggest taking a trip, but you will likely fall in love and not want to leave. Summers are perfect with the long days. Winter is long but beautiful. Northern lights are a treat as well.

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for the week to reply back (got pretty sick).

My fear is never wanting to leave after a trip too, but it's a great fear to have!

#165 12 days ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I shipped out a box to Tomass but I must come clean...I ate the ketchup doritos

Nice! Thanks man!

#166 8 days ago

Everyone took the jelly..except my small jar all i have left .
Great cultural exchange!

#167 8 days ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Everyone took the jelly..except my small jar all i have left .
Great cultural exchange!

Nice! Can't wait to enjoy some real maple syrup.

#168 8 days ago

my favorite post on pinside!

#169 2 days ago

Oh man, got my package today! Can't wait to try the syrup. Looks good! Thank you for extras as well!

#170 1 day ago

So my syrup thawed and I got to taste it. Real maple syrup is not new to me, having spent an entire career in foodservice as well as having been to maple syrup festivals where they make it fresh, but that is seriously THE best stuff I have ever tried! I gave my wife some on a spoon and all she said was "OH WOW!" Thanks again cdnpinbacon !

#171 1 day ago

Cultural exchange a success!!
Looking forward to my lake freezing...can get to my buddy's place alot faster on a snow mobile!

20191015_125455 (resized).jpg
#172 1 day ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Cultural exchange a success!!
Looking forward to my lake freezing...can get to my buddy's place alot faster on a snow mobile![quoted image]

Nice pic! We had a few snowflakes falling today. Nothing recordable, but it is coming soon.

#173 1 day ago

My wife had a canvas made at Walmart from a pic. It was the last day of my daughter's visit this summer. Came out real nice and will be something to dream about over the next 6 months waiting for nice weather.

20191016_151206 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 23.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 199.99
£ 58.00
$ 22.00
Hardware
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside