Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I present this Pinside challenge to any and all who knew Steve that are willing to share stories of him. Now with that said, let me get this thread started with a fairly recent story.

I had a relationship of nearly 20 years with Steve between email, RGP, and Pinside. But as I referenced in the 'speedy recovery' thread, it wasn't until maybe 4 months ago that I actually spoke to him on the phone. He wanted to talk after I posted "get well" video from Expo that featured a number of pinball enthusiasts and my son Christian helped to produce. And after speaking with him I realized what others (especially Californians) have known for years, Steve was a special man in many ways. As I mentioned in the other thread, speaking with him was like talking to an old friend where our conversation seemed to pick up where another left off. Over the years I've seen pictures with Steve from PAGG, Rob Bell's parties, etc. And I just said to myself, he is dealing with some challenges, why can't I pay him a personal visit? I had the idea to show up at PAGG to surprise Steve, but decided it would be best to let him know. So I checked on plane tickets for me and Sandy (my wife) as soon as they were available for the PAGG weekend. I ended up buying us some and decided to tell Steve the next time we spoke. Now this is something I will remember forever, I told him about us coming out to see him at PAGG and he was speechless. I mention that as he said it was rare for him to not have anything to say and he started to cry a bit. I told him that I couldn't wait to get there to meet him in person and shake his hand. He said "what are you talking about, I'm giving you a big hug." As I sit here now crying as I write this, I can only wonder what it would have been like to finally meet my longtime friend in person.

I have been reminded today that life is precious and Steve was as special as they come. His family and friends will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I look forward to people taking a moment to share their experiences and allow others to paint a picture of Mr. Charland, Steve, CARGPB#1, System 80 Guru, Blownfuse, Dad, Grandpa, and any other name he may have been know by in this world.

Brad Czernik (CARGPB #22)

#2 7 years ago

I was on RGP when CARGPB was born and Steve is and always will be #1.

I never got to meet him in person. Emailed and talked on the phone many times. Gottlieb system 80 isn't a job, it's an adventure. Steve's willingness to help and contribute to pinball went way farther than Gottlieb system 80.

He and Cliffy talked about visiting my business or one of my events sometime. Sadly, that will never happen.

Pinball lost a lot today. I do believe Steve would want us to keep the ball rolling.

LTG

#3 7 years ago

If anyone is wondering why I created a separate thread, I felt the one created by Steve_in_Escalon would be to offer condolences and express sadness. My hope for this one would be to share stories, thoughts, or experiences to allow some reflection on the positive impact that Steve had on pinball. Thanks.

Brad

#4 7 years ago

I had been friends with Steve for as long as I can remember. I think I met him at Pin a Go Go back in the early days when it was new to Dixon, CA. I think he had his line up of super rare Gottlieb pins and he was holding a tournament on them. I got to talking with him and learned a lot about the different rare wide body games that Gottlieb had produced. I also had a booth there and Steve would always come over and grab up any parts I had for sale. He was always so fun to talk to and so knowledgeable about Pinball. Just a real down to earth, great guy. I would also do pinball repair as a business. Sometimes, I would run into a Gottlieb System 80 game that stumped me. I would call Steve. I do not think he ever turned me down on giving me fixing advice if he could. If it was a little harder, he would say "when I get home tonight, I will look at the schematic." I am so saddened of our HUGE loss today. Steve, you will be missed. RIP my friend.

Craig Weiss aka CARGPB23

#5 7 years ago

No memories Brad, but you are a true gentleman bud, really big heart, nice guy, nothing but calm friendliness.. I've experienced the same from you so I speak from experience. So sorry I'm not on topic, but thank you for being you - you did a good thing for Steve, so my thanks to you, our community is lucky to have you.

#6 7 years ago

I met up with Steve at PAGG this last year. We were texting back and forth a bit until he snuck up behind me back to back as I read the next text saying I am behind you, as I turned around I bumped into him literally and we both just laughed. He gave me one of those gold (bronze) pinball's for one of my games. I wanted to pay him for it but he wouldn't have it. He was such a friendly guy that I spent the next two hours or more talking pinball with him, playing his games, and him opening up his games showing me how he uses LED's in games including the leg and bolt LED's that he made. Man that two hours went quick and throughout the day we kept bumping into each other and talking more. He really made you feel important as if you were his brother and it was obvious how genuinely he just cared about what you had to say. I am fortunate to have met him in person and am saddened that I will not see him at PAGG this year as it was one of the things I was really looking forward to doing this year.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

He gave me one of those gold (bronze) pinball's

I forgot that. He sent me one too many years ago.

LTG : )

#8 7 years ago

Steve a forum Super Hero!

Just like LTG, Chris, Cliffy, Phoebe, Andrew, Vid and many others that give to others, share of themselves and make this hobby so great!!

I can just say that the stories of that brother like attention is no joke. He treated me with respect, patience, and such kindness.

I actually feared something was wrong a couple days ago as I had a fuse blow on my Black Hole for no apparent reason, and it was a pain in the butt 1Amp slo on the lower PF.

I thought of Steve aka BlownFuse and thought I would give him a call and see how he was feeling...... but

Such a sad day for the pinball community.

Never met him in person or his family but after 15 plus years of forum chat you feel an understanding and closeness that's hard to describe.

If you where in a topic with Steve I am sure you learned something, just remember to try to pass it on to others.

Pie Day...3/14 has a new meaning for me. I can't recall Steve s favorite pie?

#9 7 years ago

One of the nicest most helpful guys in all of the hobby. He came over and helped me repair a Surf Champ. He told me it would take him five minutes if he did it by himself, but since he was going to teach me it would take ten. The man used a length of wire and two alligator clips and had the game working that I had spent hours and hours trouble shooting. Of course he didn't want to be paid, of course it was his pleasure to help. The man was gracious and a gentleman. he will be missed.

#10 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favoritebest-pinside-names-w-poll

3 yrs ago Pinsiders voted blownfuse as 2nd favorite online Pinside name,
    followed closely by ThePostmaster (he can hit the posts, but not the ramps & targets).

Read blownfuse's comment near the end of pg 1 of that thread when he found out he was in the poll.

Yes, Pinslut won by a mile.

#12 7 years ago

No stories to relate, I only knew steve through the forums and emails....Knew him from early days of RGP. I find it interesting, however, that Steve's last post on Pinside, he was doing what he did best...helping people fix their games.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/26#post-3548187

As sick as he'd been, he was right back in the fray...A great resource, man, friend and pinball enthusiasts has been lost.

#13 7 years ago

It's weird...surreal. Never met him, don't recall ever speaking to him. Even our online conversations were brief. But what a voluminous effect he had on my objectives in the pinball hobby. I was drifting through the hobby early on...didn't know much...had an extraordinarily overinflated playing ability...I guess the same as many.

I didn't know it at the time, but Steve had begun to formulate an idea of a group of loosely (or maybe not-so-loosely) affiliated pinheads with common traits and ideals. These traits are the ones that keep getting repeated in these two threads. Somehow he saw through my bluster and cynicism and rubber stamped my entry into the CARGPB when another good friend nominated me. I'm not to keen on group membership and I have had my problems with other members' behavior that prompted me to selfishly drop the signature. So I'm still a d-bag sometimes.

Anyway, the point is, he saw something in me, and by including me in his association steered me into the pinball stewardship I profess and do actually practice these days. Indirectly, Steve lead me by example to where I am now. That is profound, to me any way. By leading me to be a better pinhead, he led me to be a better person.

This is why I am glad I had the opportunity to have a great friend relay to Steve my appreciation for what he did for me *without even speaking to me*. That is the indescribable impact he had on me and so many others.

It would be great if we could associate the CARGPB into a force for pinball stewardship of some kind on occasion to the memory of the man who started it all. I won't miss his presence because I will keep it as long as my brain can remember.

In memory of CARGPB#1

Cody Chunn
    CARGPB#4

#14 7 years ago

Just wanted to add this link to the story that I posted about Steve and his LED leg light ups including the bolts!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-maybe-something-a-little-different#post-2663910

He and I were really digging discussing them...I wish I would have bought the set of bolts he had in the silent auction. He was like a little kid so excited to keep checking that auction to see what they went for. The final result, well in his words:

Hi Mike,
    The RBG Lightning Bolt kit auctioned off for $65.

Steve

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/share-your-steve-charland-stories-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.