New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 187393)

Share your Star Wars predictions!

By PanzerFreak

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 511 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Apollyon
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 54 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

princess-bride-mostly-dead-is-still-a-little-alive-but-thats-not-what-he-saidhe-distinctly-said-to-b (resized).jpg
This is not the pinball machine you are looking for.jpg
IMG_8203 (resized).JPG
Ace (resized).jpg
GOTG (resized).jpg
IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
IMG_3065 (resized).JPG
screen-capture-20 (resized).png
screen-capture-18 (resized).png
a096e93eecf1e2e9fbd09bb8c63b4a4db28581ae (resized).jpg
prem.JPG
pro.JPG
sw2.JPG
poppy (resized).png
IMG_3366 (resized).JPG
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG

There are 511 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
#351 3 years ago

Wasn't the previous rumored code name for Star Wars, 'Cinnabon' (again referencing Leia's hairdo)? Donut is just another take on a pastry. They could have called it cheese danish, bear claw, strudel, baklava, kolache, cherry turnover, or some other savory name!

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Wasn't the previous rumored code name for Star Wars, 'Cinnabon' (again referencing Leia's hairdo)? Donut is just another take on a pastry. They could have called it cheese danish, bear claw, strudel, baklava, kolache, cherry turnover, or some other savory name!

Princess Leia with bear claw bangs just wouldn't have been the same ...

#353 3 years ago

Rumors point to an announcement coming soon. I understand why the last announcement was delayed, but if these are on schedule to ship in July, they'll need to get the announcement out REALLY soon.

#354 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Steve is a legend, a pinball god. I don't mean to disparage him at all, nothing he does or doesn't do will ever change that.
But I hope he does something different and surprises us compared to his recent games.
It feels like he's taken to heart his rep for king of flow and just keeps recycling his basic ideas now. AC/DC, Spider-Man, Star Trek, all good games, but kinda the same too. Same ideas, same fan layout, just remixed a bit. See the whole T2/AC/DC comparison.
GOT was a little different. But upper playfield not a huge success with people it seems.
Would love to see a little more of that Ritchie magic. Break out something he's been scheming on for a while. Surprise us.

I'm not sure how this is so different from other successful designers. Look at Borg for example. Awesome games but very similar to each other. It's a lot like music, each band/musician has a style and they stick to it with subtle changes. Same thing in pinball.

AC/DC fan layout, Metallica fan layout...which designer did it better? Ritchie with flow? Or Borg with toys? Apples vs oranges really.

3-flipper layout. Star Trek with speed and flow vs XMEN with tight but satisfying shots?

Point is; the shots lineup where they feel right per the designers preference, their staple so to speak. It's why it's so good that stern has so many designers now; Ritchie, Borg, Trudeau, and now Keith. So us players should be choosing the games we like based on the style of designer; Not the other way around.

I really wasn't a big Ritchie fan early in collecting. I liked clunkier games with more toys. Now as a better player, and long time hobbiest, I prefer action speed and flow. So I was more of a Gomez/Borg heavy fan but have now become a Ritchie heavy fan. Who knows what style I'll like in a year from now. These are the varieties and choices that make the hobby good - not tons of manufacturers, but different designs and integrations.

That all said, Insert matrix plays a key role in design engineering and I really hope we get something different from Ritchie in that dept. less ST & GOT style, and more AC/DC 'ish.

#355 3 years ago

I GOT IT! (?)

Stern Star Wars Announcement Friday, June 2nd?

National Donut Day.

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 2.03.57 PM (resized).png

#356 3 years ago

I predict it may have spelling mistake on playfield.

May the farce be with you!

#357 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm not sure how this is so different from other successful designers. Look at Borg for example. Awesome games but very similar to each other. It's a lot like music, each band/musician has a style and they stick to it with subtle changes. Same thing in pinball.
AC/DC fan layout, Metallica fan layout...which designer did it better? Ritchie with flow? Or Borg with toys? Apples vs oranges really.
3-flipper layout. Star Trek with speed and flow vs XMEN with tight but satisfying shots?
Point is; the shots lineup where they feel right per the designers preference, their staple so to speak. It's why it's so good that stern has so many designers now; Ritchie, Borg, Trudeau, and now Keith. So us players should be choosing the games we like based on the style of designer; Not the other way around.
I really wasn't a big Ritchie fan early in collecting. I liked clunkier games with more toys. Now as a better player, and long time hobbiest, I prefer action speed and flow. So I was more of a Gomez/Borg heavy fan but have now become a Ritchie heavy fan. Who knows what style I'll like in a year from now. These are the varieties and choices that make the hobby good - not tons of manufacturers, but different designs and integrations.
That all said, Insert matrix plays a key role in design engineering and I really hope we get something different from Ritchie in that dept. less ST & GOT style, and more AC/DC 'ish.

Well said.

#358 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Rumors point to an announcement coming soon. I understand why the last announcement was delayed, but if these are on schedule to ship in July, they'll need to get the announcement out REALLY soon.

I think the July rumor is for the announcement, not the shipping.

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It's not at all different, Borg is easier to pick on than Ritchie really. I own and love two of his games, but there's only so many I'd want to have.

I'm not really a fan of most of Trudeau's games, but you gotta admit he doesn't cookie cutter. Never afraid to try new things. When it doesn't work it doesn't work, but his gems are pretty great.

I'm a big Star Wars fan, but with current new game prices I need to really see something new, or why bother spending the cash. Plenty of other good games out there still.

#360 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm a big Star Wars fan, but with current new game prices I need to really see something new, or why bother spending the cash. Plenty of other good games out there still.

I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I need to really see something bad, else I'm spending the cash. Plenty of other bad Star Wars games out there.

#361 3 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I need to really see something bad, else I'm spending the cash.

Hey, to each their own. Theme matters a lot, but I already own a shit ton of Star Wars stuff, I don't buy something because it has some pictures and a logo on it.

The other Star Wars games all suck. I'd never bother owning any of them. That included the new ROM for the Data East version before someone asks.

#362 3 years ago

Steve Ritchie is my favorite designer of pinball machines by far, I think he's a genius. I own two of his pins, and love his others; was discovering Firepower on Pinball Arcade, and that game is incredible!!

Will be fun to see what he does with this license, I bet he won't let us down.

#363 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, to each their own. Theme matters a lot, but I already own a shit ton of Star Wars stuff, I don't buy something because it has some pictures and a logo on it.
The other Star Wars games all suck. I'd never bother owning any of them. That included the new ROM for the Data East version before someone asks.

I've owned both of the older Star Wars pins and yes, they are pretty bad. I really wanted to like them because of the theme, but they were taking up valuable space and had to go.

My only point is that even if Ritchie doesn't deviate from his previous layouts, the fact that it has a Star Wars theme, Spike sound system and an LCD makes it an appealing package already. I *hope* they are going to have some great ZY/DD playfield art - unlike the boring ST/GOT/TWD playfield art packages.

#364 3 years ago

Have you ever had a conversation with Steve Ritchie? Just being able to talk with the guy a few times made me want to buy/play his creations. He expresses himself with such a bellicose force and shows it within his pinball designs. Many other designers (besides, RIP Python) seem pretty mellow. I will be looking forward to Ritchie's next game concept.

#365 3 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Have you ever had a conversation with Steve Ritchie? Just being able to talk with the guy a few times made me want to buy/play his creations. He expresses himself with such a bellicose force and shows it within his pinball designs. Many other designers (besides, RIP Python) seem pretty mellow. I will be looking forward to Ritchie's next game concept.

Not sure you mean "bellicose". bois·ter·ous perhaps?

#366 3 years ago

Ritchie is one of the few designers that I expect to hit a home run with each release. Yeah, it might be slightly predictable, but when you play the thing, it's almost always a solid pinball experience.

#367 3 years ago

I'm sure they monitor Pinside; I'm surprised they never bothered to go fix this error in naming of the parts manual that appears when you google stern and star wars. It's been posted several times at this point. Maybe it is an Easter Egg type of thing and they are just having a good time with it. Stern Star Wars is becoming like watching and waiting for water to boil.

pasted_image (resized).png

#368 3 years ago

Does anyone think they are going to announce Thursday on the 40th anniversary at this point? Seems like it would be surprise after just announcing AC/DC.

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I'm sure they monitor Pinside; I'm surprised they never bothered to go fix this error in naming of the parts manual that appears when you google stern and star wars. It's been posted several times at this point. Maybe it is an Easter Egg type of thing and they are just having a good time with it. Stern Star Wars is becoming like watching and waiting for water to boil.

With all the other games coming out eg aliens, dialed in, I'm sure they want to keep people holding off to see what SW is like.

#370 3 years ago

I never thought I'd say this but AS is tempting my funds. They really need to show this soon.

#371 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Not sure you mean "bellicose". bois·ter·ous perhaps?

Understood. I should have given an example to the statement "bellicose force."
About 3 to 4 years ago I was in line to get a free flyer signed and a dude in front of me requested for Ritchie to sign a ST premium flyer. Already, Ritchie had signed a ST pro flyer for the guy.
Ritchie stood up and had these twitches and in one movement crumpled up the flyer and threw it to the side. It was cool to watch what was going to happen next with this "bellicose force" coming out of him, but he settled back down and proceeded to sign more flyers. It's great to hear him yell and express what he thinks durring shows.

#372 3 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Does anyone think they are going to announce Thursday on the 40th anniversary at this point? Seems like it would be surprise after just announcing AC/DC.

I do not think so. I think five or six weeks away as mentioned on Pinside by Pinsiders "in the know" previously.

#373 3 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Understood. I should have given an example to the statement "bellicose force."
About 3 to 4 years ago I was in line to get a free flyer signed and a dude in front of me requested for Ritchie to sign a ST premium flyer. Already, Ritchie had signed a ST pro flyer for the guy.
Ritchie stood up and had these twitches and in one movement crumpled up the flyer and threw it to the side. It was cool to watch what was going to happen next with this "bellicose force" coming out of him, but he settled back down and proceeded to sign more flyers. It's great to hear him yell and express what he thinks durring shows.

I am now picturing Steve Ritchie channeling Shao Kahn from Mortal Kombat and muttering "fatality!" under his breath as he throws the destroyed flyer to the ground.

#374 3 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I know it sounds like it makes sense, but if I was marketing a game the last thing I'd worry about with my timing was arbitrary dates like that. When it's ready or it fits in with their overall gameplan then they'll announce it, everyone will find out about it just as well on a normal day.

Does anyone give a shit that Heighway announced something on "Alien day"?

#375 3 years ago

Not sure why people think they will announce on may 25th
If they didn't care about May 4th they are not going to care about May 25th

SW will be announced in early June.

#376 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Someone posted that Star Wars Pros could start shipping in August. The announcement has to be close. I hope its sort of like Stern Star Trek, space environment featuring the ships, no action figures. If it's like Spiderman with an R2D2 figure and Han Solo or Vader bash toy, I'll have to reconsider, as that's made for a not-so-growed-up man.

#377 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

If I were making a pinball machine based on the original movies and it was about to be the 40th anniversary, I would tie-in my product launch with the anniversary from a marketing/promotional standpoint because it can help additional free publicity. It doesn't have to be on the exact day, but you'd tend to do it within a reasonable window of time.

#378 3 years ago

Obviously they originally had something planned for star wars celebration, but something delayed it. That would have been a great opportunity and a well executed marketing strategy. I'm assuming qc issues last year backed them up. If so, it's still possible someone at stern has considered may 25 to make sense. If it's not it though, I won't be surprised.

#379 3 years ago

So, trying to recap the stated "facts" about the game itself (i.e. Not the release date or pricing)

Quoted from KLR2014:

500 LE Dark Sight theme, 500 LE Light Side theme, Premium and Pro general Sw theme.

Kaneda stated this on his podcast as well FWIW

Quoted from FalconPunch:

It is based off the original trilogy.

Quoted from LTG:

Steve Ritchie's greatest pin. Lyman Sheats programming. LCD. Star Wars : Forces of Destiny.
LTG : )

Moving 3 bank (source?)

Getaway supercharger like hyperdrive. (Source?)

Anything else?

#380 3 years ago

Is an announcement happening?

#381 3 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

So, trying to recap the stated "facts" about the game itself (i.e. Not the release date or pricing)

Kaneda stated this on his podcast as well FWIW

Moving 3 bank (source?)
Getaway supercharger like hyperdrive. (Source?)
Anything else?

Hologram of Leia, trick like CFTBL or GB Ecto Googles. Millennium Falcon protected by the 3 bank drops.

#382 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Is an announcement happening?

Predictions are for an announcement tomorrow in order to tie in with the 40th anniversary of Star Wars Episode 4 premier.
If this doesn't occur then really it could be any date in the future as there is nothing else coming up StarWars related that would have significant merit to coincide with the reveal. If tomorrow's the day then we should see the banner heading on Sterns Facebook page get blacked out sometime today.

Tying into the 40th anniversary would make sense, however with the recent AC/DC Ve announcement, I think Stern is guided on production demands. Speculation is that the delays have been to give Aerosmith sales a boost. I call bs on this theory. To me it would make sense that they are trying to clear out current production runs for back orders on all older games before the manufacturing line is taken over by Star Wars. Probably released the AC/DC info before to gauge how much production time this title would need before shifting to Star Wars. As long as Star Wars ships sometime this year it would still be in the 40th anniversary , so really there is no need for Stern to announce untill they are ready.
Still worth checking in over the next 24-48 hours in case they do announce to tie in to the 25th of may anniversary.

#383 3 years ago

i predict it will be another stern photoshop job, that will have massive flow and depth...yet most people will still complain about the 'artwork' or lack of.

#384 3 years ago

Hoping for no mini playfield (unless it is under the playfield)

#385 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Hoping for no mini playfield (unless it is under the playfield)

The "trench" would be pretty cool....

=====================================

There better be an Admiral Akbar "It's a trap" line in there.

Like during the final assault on the death star multiball. If you don't complete shots in time, you hear "It's a trap line" and jackpot "shields" go up (color changing LEDS).

If you hit all the shield targets, it reverts back to the multiball again.

That'd be pretty cool and of course it probably won't have this but who the hell knows anyway.

trap (resized).jpg

#386 3 years ago

Tie fighter spinner.

#387 3 years ago

I predict my 2 young Star Wars obsessed boys will somother me in my sleep if I don't get this game for our family.
I also predict that because it's Star Wars and stern continues to jack their prices I'll have to dip into the kids college fund to afford one.
(J/K - I'lll dip into my wife's hidden stash of cash she thinks I don't know about!).

#388 3 years ago

Light Saber feature similar to what GB Proton Stream was supposed to be.

#389 3 years ago

I bet the LE's have a lightsaber feature similar to Star Trek side rails.

As an aside, I really hope that Stern posts something about this soon. I've earmarked funds, but I'm easily distracted

#390 3 years ago

SO,You did indeed make up a new date for a new SW release!!I thought so.I posted you would! What date will you make up next??? Some actors BD as a holy mary shot??There was talk of this at PAGG with JJ,and others in the industry! No one says this is happening! Why do you all???Good luck,and,"May the force be with you""

#391 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

SO,You did indeed make up a new date for a new SW release!!I thought so.I posted you would! What date will you make up next??? Some actors BD as a holy mary shot??There was talk of this at PAGG with JJ,and others in the industry! No one says this is happening! Why do you all???Good luck,and,"May the force be with you""

It HAS happened not IS going to happen. The design is in-the-can.

#392 3 years ago

Light Saber feature similar to what GB Proton Stream was supposed to be.

So it will be marketed as a feature but not actually make it to production machines? Take my money now.

#393 3 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

So it will be marketed as a feature but not actually make it to production machines? Take my money now.

"Supposed to be". Way ahead of you.

#394 3 years ago

I find your lack of faith disturbing (resized).jpg

#395 3 years ago

You want the midichlorians to spontaneously make this game?

I kid....I kid....

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

You want the midichlorians to spontaneously make this game?
I kid....I kid....

Yea.... I remember when I first saw EP1 and heard the term "midichlorians" used.

I was like.... WOW did George REALLY just pull that nonsense out of his a$$?!?!?!

Yup....he sure did...

Awful......

#397 3 years ago
Quoted from oktobernv:

Yea.... I remember when I first saw EP1 and heard the term "midichlorians" used.
I was like.... WOW did George REALLY just pull that nonsense out of his a$$?!?!?!
Yup....he sure did...
Awful......

And that was pretty much the highlight of the that trilogy

#398 3 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I predict it may have spelling mistake on playfield.
May the farce be with you!

Close, but it will be "may the forc be with you." And then the ensuing jokes about silverware.

#399 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

And that was pretty much the highlight of the that trilogy

I liked the idea of a way of explaining the force, I don't like the idea that anyone can become connected/use the force so I admire Lucas for trying to at least explain how someone can use the force and that person needing to be special - whether they be good or bad ultimately being the biggest question/risk clearly has potential for great story telling.

But I think the visuals where the best thing about the prequels, there was some gorgeous planets visualised and created for the prequels it's just a shame 95% of everything was green screen, some of those scenes would have been amazing with full scale sets.

#400 3 years ago

If it's like Spiderman with an R2D2 figure and Han Solo or Vader bash toy [...]

Vader Bash toy?
I just thought of Monster Bash's Frankenstein coming to life. With the new SW Pin, it could be Vader lieing on the operating table from Revenge of the Sith. Get ready for "Noooooo!" Multiball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 511 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside