Topic Stats

• 511 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Apollyon
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 54 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

princess-bride-mostly-dead-is-still-a-little-alive-but-thats-not-what-he-saidhe-distinctly-said-to-b (resized).jpg
This is not the pinball machine you are looking for.jpg
IMG_8203 (resized).JPG
Ace (resized).jpg
GOTG (resized).jpg
IMG_3066 (resized).JPG
IMG_3065 (resized).JPG
screen-capture-20 (resized).png
screen-capture-18 (resized).png
a096e93eecf1e2e9fbd09bb8c63b4a4db28581ae (resized).jpg
prem.JPG
pro.JPG
sw2.JPG
poppy (resized).png
IMG_3366 (resized).JPG
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG

There are 511 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
#501 2 years ago

BLUF: The game titlr results will be the same as Stern's Indiana Jones from 2008. Stern will continue to successfully overvalue blanket party new potential buyers with a bar of ignorance soap.

In the case if the 2008 Indiana Jones everybody became overly excited, and then the game slipped into game history as the "hyperspace" died quickly once the gameplay was properly revealed.
SW is an above average release, not a "bad release" or "bomb".
The game will make good money for operators for those that decide to purchase a game or several based on theme alone for those areas of pinball mechas.

This was a missed opportunity of a great license.
There is no proper promotional video, yet pre-orders commenced fully and without hesitation, some case months ahead with "lists".
If the game was that amazing, a video would have been prepared in advance, as has been done in the past.
However, it remains absent, yet the game is revealed and production started?
There is reason no solid gameplay videos have been shown.
It hurts game sales to pre-order jockeying and it would premature without full production completion.
It is not as "incredible" as people make believe it to be.
At least non-refundable deposits on limited edition games can be applied to other titles in some cases, if people check with their distributors first.
I hope they do.

People can disagree, but the same thing has happened repeatedly with other games even in the two decades using "big" licenses.
It is simply a case of new pinball title "fever".
For every "hit" there are two-three misses.

Some of the titles include Batman 66 (an absolute blaring air siren example, as the game continues to languish with potential code abandonment and owners finally are starting to realize what they purchased, and sales have plummeted accordingly), Avatar, Game of Thrones (initial sales strong, and then slowed way down), Family Guy (which actually as good depth overall as a title), Shrek, Batman, CSI, Big Buck Hunter, Mustang, Wheel of Fortune, Roller Coaster Tycoon (HUGE fanfare for Pat Lawlor, then guess what happened?), and quite a few others.
This does not mean of the above games was truly "bad", but in the big scope of production run sales, they were underwhelming after initial sales stabilized and ended.
Don't get me wrong, the game will sell well at the beginning, especially owners that like to ride on the LE insane "pain train", choo choo.

DE SW had more physical features 25 years ago, and that was essentially a one shot Stern game.
Fairly incredible how far we have NOT progressed in all this time.
You cannot prop up a rehashed playfield design (that has been used by at least FOUR different Stern machines in the past 15 years) and features with an LCD screen (playing reused movie clips), or in this case two.

But, some people have started to finally recognize that are continuing to "pay more for less" regarding features for Stern games for the past 5 years, in this specific round, continued removal of the shaker motor and return of no backglasses methodology, but the price rose again anyway, less than 3 months since Aerosmith, for no apparent reason other than greed.
LCDs and nodal SMD PCB technology is not the stopgap of price raising either, if people want to use that continued belief.
Nor the use of the license, otherwise a game design production in untenable from the standpoint of profitability.

Stern games actually cost LESS today to make than previous iterations regarding BoM and especially with reduced features, not more.

People need to figure things like this out on their own, but I have my doubts.

This is not the pinball machine you are looking for.jpg

#502 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This was a missed opprtunity of a good license. There is reason there is no solid gameplay videos released as of yet. It hurts game sales to pre-order jockeys.

Bullshit. Just be patient and video will come. If you are already convinced you won't like the game, then I don't think any gameplay video will change your mind.

Rob

#503 2 years ago

BLUF: The game titlr results will be the same as Stern's Indiana Jones from 2008. Stern will continue to successfully overvalue blanket party new potential buyers with a bar of ignorance soap.
In the case if the 2008 Indiana Jones everybody became overly excited, and then the game slipped into game history as the "hyperspace" died quickly once the gameplay was properly revealed.
The game will make good money for operators for those that decide to purchase a game or several based on theme alone for those areas of pinball mechas.
There is no proper promotional video, yet pre-orders commenced fully and without hesitation, some case months ahead with "lists".
If the game was that amazing, a video would have been prepared in advance, as has been done in the past.
It hurts game sales to pre-order jockeying and it would premature without full production completion.
At least non-refundable deposits on limited edition games can be applied to other titles in some cases, if people check with their distributors first.
I hope they do.
People can disagree, but the same thing has happened repeatedly with other games even in the two decades using "big" licenses.
Some of the titles include Batman 66 (an absolute blaring air siren example, as the game continues to languish with potential code abandonment and owners finally are starting to realize what they purchased, and sales have plummeted accordingly), Avatar, Game of Thrones (initial sales strong, and then slowed way down), Family Guy (which actually as good depth overall as a title), Shrek, Batman, CSI, Big Buck Hunter, Mustang, Wheel of Fortune, Roller Coaster Tycoon (HUGE fanfare for Pat Lawlor, then guess what happened?), and quite a few others.
This does not mean of the above games was truly "bad", but in the big scope of production run sales, they were underwhelming after initial sales stabilized and ended.
Don't get me wrong, the game will sell well at the beginning, especially owners that like to ride on the LE insane "pain train", choo choo.
DE SW had more physical features 25 years ago, and that was essentially a one shot Stern game.
You cannot prop up a rehashed playfield design (that has been used by at least FOUR different Stern machines in the past 15 years) and features with an LCD screen (playing reused movie clips), or in this case two.
But, some people have started to finally recognize that are continuing to "pay more for less" regarding features for Stern games for the past 5 years, in this specific round, continued removal of the shaker motor and return of no backglasses methodology, but the price rose again anyway, less than 3 months since Aerosmith, for no apparent reason other than greed.
LCDs and nodal SMD PCB technology is not the stopgap of price raising either, if people want to use that continued belief.
Nor the use of the license, otherwise a game design production in untenable from the standpoint of profitability.
Stern games actually cost LESS today to make than previous iterations regarding BoM and especially with reduced features, not more.

BLUF: If you're going to post a novel, please proofread it first. The first few sentences barely made any sense to me, and I have a pretty strong command of the English language.

And a personal request: Please don't use BLUF anymore. It makes me reach for my Xanax.

Here's why you're wrong: crazylevi played the game and loved it. I trust him. Why? Because he's so painfully honest about his opinions (like me) that many people think he's a dick when they don't agree. He's got no reason to lie.

I think that Star Wars fan site let the cat out of the bag a little early, Stern got caught with their pants down, and now they're scrambling to finish the Premium/LE code to make a gameplay video. By Levi's account, the pro is ready to roll and is supposedly shipping to Europe already.

And it's not true that there are two to three misses for every hit. I consider GOT a brilliant game, but I'm sure many would consider that a miss. I respect their right to be wrong. Stern's last undeniable miss was WWE. KISS was a close second. I can't say that any other machine was bad enough to qualify as a miss.

Did Stern cheap out on the BOM? Absolutely. But I trust the SR/Dwight team because I've loved their work in the past. And when I look at that empty playfield, I see a blank canvas--it's a modder's paradise!

Sorry my post was so long...more like a short story than a novel.

#504 2 years ago

I hope they do.

Your 2nd favorite thing to do on pinside besides point out how you've been in the hobby forever and new blood is ruining it, is to brow beat stern for never coming up with any new ideas.

I've got a great idea, how about you design, build, and release a game with all these new concepts you envision. And use that wealth of knowledge that you have build and produce it. You would wow and impress us all!

In the meantime, we get it you think stern isn't innovative.

#505 2 years ago

There is no proper promotional video, yet pre-orders commenced fully and without hesitation

I have determined Stern's business model. It is called " Take it or Leave it."

Stern releases machines with no notice no insider info and you get what you get. People can bash the marketing efforts including myself but it comes down to how many units they can sell realistically. It appears like they are at capacity for production and sales are doing well. Now if sales were poor and Stern was struggling than they may opt to try a different approach for marketing their machines. For now there is a mentality of if it is not broke then don't fix it. Bad node boards, cabinets falling apart, playfields deteriorating, beta code and Stern's reply-"Take it or Leave it."

#506 2 years ago

BLUF: some people with good knowledge of pinball in general, think that translates to knowledge of how to run a pinball manufacturing company.

#507 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And a personal request: Please don't use BLUF anymore. It makes me reach for my Xanax.

princess-bride-mostly-dead-is-still-a-little-alive-but-thats-not-what-he-saidhe-distinctly-said-to-b (resized).jpg

#508 2 years ago

I hope they do.

To translate this novel: Stern is raping you with their reduced BOM, recycled layout, and GREEEEEED!

#509 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

BLUF: If you're going to post a novel, please proofread it first. The first few sentences barely made any sense to me, and I have a pretty strong command of the English language.
Here's why you're wrong: crazylevi played the game and loved it. I trust him. Why? Because he's so painfully honest about his opinions (like me) that many people think he's a dick when they don't agree. He's got no reason to lie.
I think that Star Wars fan site let the cat out of the bag a little early, Stern got caught with their pants down, and now they're scrambling to finish the Premium/LE code to make a gameplay video. By Levi's account, the pro is ready to roll and is supposedly shipping to Europe already.
And it's not true that there are two to three misses for every hit. I consider GOT a brilliant game, but I'm sure many would consider that a miss. I respect their right to be wrong. Stern's last undeniable miss was WWE. KISS was a close second. I can't say that any other machine was bad enough to qualify as a miss.
Did Stern cheap out on the BOM? Absolutely. But I trust the SR/Dwight team because I've loved their work in the past. And when I look at that empty playfield, I see a blank canvas--it's a modder's paradise!
Sorry my post was so long...more like a short story than a novel.

Don't apologize for the long post. Unlike posts by certain other pinsiders, its lucid, well thought out, balanced and factual. Not based on BS conjecture.

#510 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Did Stern cheap out on the BOM? Absolutely.

Stern has been cutting costs for many years now, but I don't think SW was any different than the last game. I'm thinking the hyperloop was probably very costly in terms of BOM because it's a big wireform with 4 large magnets (and associated drivers). The mini lcd has its own associated costs too. Drop targets on the pro model is something you also don't usually see.

Rob

#511 2 years ago

Also, you have to factor in the costs of the full licence. Movie clips, callouts from the show, actor's likeness, music and sound fx from the movie. That all costs money. Lots of money for Star Wars.

In my opinion I am glad they spent more of the BOM on the full licence than an extra toy or two. I want to be immersed in the world of Star Wars when I play it. That comes from all of the above (music, voices, clips, sound fx). Not from an extra drop down 3 bank and an upkicker somewhere.

Take Tron for example. It has 2 toys on it. Dropping 3 bank and a spinner. But it shoots fast and fun and when you play it you feel like you are in the grid.

I expect SW to be the same but with way deeper mode based rules.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
4,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersburg, IN
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
There are 511 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside