b2 (resized).JPG
b1 (resized).JPG
jp (resized).png
InkedJP_1_LI (resized).jpg
featured_preview_IMG_2717 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_2123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2247 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rambo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#618 5 years ago
Quoted from bigcat68:

I have the two matrix LED strips attached to the back cabinet wall in line with the banner. They are connected with a two way splitter, a brightness adjuster screw, wire extensions and then to the alligator clips. The wire is run up to the back box for constant power. I did not want to attach under playfield as that would stretch and pull on the wire when lifting playfield since the LED strips are on the back cabinet wall. Also provide enough wire slack to fold back box down when transporting or in storage.

My banner LED strips are in the same place, connected to the same leads. Works great, and really adds to the aesthetic.

1 week later
#631 5 years ago

Painted the caps and added Comet Pinball light rings. I tried the amber ones first, but they're super orange, so I exchanged those for the warm white versions, which match really well.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#638 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I seriously thought about doing this but backed out at the last minute before I placed my Comet order. Do you have any ghosting at all during gameplay? This is what concerned me since I had some Pinball Life Bright Mods I tested, and they did ghost - was quite bothersome.

I answered your PM, but I'll post here for posterity as well. No, I didn't see any ghosting with the LED rings.

Also, they have potentiometer on them to adjust the brightness if needed. I keep them up at full brightness.

#639 5 years ago

Finishing up the design on my own 3D printed JP gate. I traced still frames from the movie, so it's pretty close to the correct scale with some creative liberties taken in order to fit on the playfield.

I also took special care in the design to make it very easily printable, although ultimately I plan to make a mold and cast it out of urethane.

I'll just be statically mounting the gates.

gate (resized).JPGgate (resized).JPG
#642 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Is this one piece? If you separated the two sides and the arch into 3 pieces (could use mortise and tenons to attach arch), then you could actually print the arch in three colors in a single print to match the red & yellow lettering colors in the movie using filament changes at given layer heights (at least I can do such with my Prusa). Anyway, just an idea. What you've done so far is terrific.

No, it's in multiple pieces for exactly the reason you mentioned, and yes, there are mortises in the pylons to locate the arch and give plenty of surface area for gluing. There are also separate brackets back behind the pylons that serve as the mounting points.

I played around with the Fusion 360 render settings a bit as well:

render (resized).JPGrender (resized).JPG
#644 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You've thought of everything, my man!

What layer height would you recommend? Despite this being a model, I'm thinking 200um is plenty given this layout:

layout (resized).JPGlayout (resized).JPG
#649 5 years ago

Got my prototype gate test fit. Pretty happy with it! I need to enlarge the LED holes a tad, but I got the mounting just about perfect on the first try.

I'll print it all again separately so I can to a multicolor print on the center text. This prototype was printed at 100um, and took almost exactly 10 hours. Honestly, since it will be sanded and primered anyway, I don't think the 100um was worth it over the 150um, which was slated to take 6.5 hours. 50um was over 18 hours, which certainly isn't the longest I done, but I don't like leaving it alone overnight.

I also bought an airbrush system to step up my model painting game. I'll use a brush on the gate, since the brushstrokes simulate woodgrain, but the rest I'll airbrush.

jp (resized).JPGjp (resized).JPG
#651 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Looks pretty good. What size LED are you using in the holders?

3mm flickering amber LEDs. I bought a bag of them online, but you can also scavenge 5mm flickering LEDs (and 3V lithium batteries!) from those dollar store LED tea lights.

While printing the final version of the gate parts today, I wired in this big guy. The Jeep is a Matchbox JP car I modified with LED headlights. I'll be replacing that clear shield the Jeep is sitting on there with a sculpted terrain piece that gives the Jeep a road to drive on. I'll use the flasher socket underneath there to power the headlights and add a spotlight on the T-rex.

trex (resized).JPGtrex (resized).JPG
#669 5 years ago

As promised, here is my completed Jurassic Park gate mod.

That's about 40 hours of work, including design from scratch, print time, paint-prep, and wiring (which was a royal PITA to feed through the posts).

Some people have asked about buying one, now that Tim's Mods seems to have abandoned their amazing JP gate. I'm still considering it. I have no problems posting the files on Thingiverse for others to use for free, but I'm not sure I want to through all that effort again to build a completed one.

I have a lot more images and short videos of the build process on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fortnerindustries/?hl=en

finished (resized).jpgfinished (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rambo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/share-your-jurassic-park-mods?tu=rambo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.