b2 (resized).JPG
b1 (resized).JPG
jp (resized).png
InkedJP_1_LI (resized).jpg
featured_preview_IMG_2717 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_2123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2247 (resized).jpg
There are 701 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.
#251 10 years ago

I had a thread for these but should have just stuck in here instead, forgot about this thread. I made some apron cards for a friend's JP, download and print if you'd like to have them.

Don't print the image in this post, it's just a low rez preview, download the PDF for a high quality full-size print.

PDF is here (about 5mb): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/jurassic-park-cards.pdf

Preview:

jp-cards.jpgjp-cards.jpg

#252 10 years ago

That would be the one to go with! Please share if you end up doing it. I'd be curious to see how it works out.

#253 10 years ago

My new friends. The goat is in semi-rigid wire, so he moves when T-Rex moves around. If only he knew what was to come.image.jpgimage.jpg

#254 10 years ago

I did not realize that the bottom row of bulbs in the back box are supposed to be the flashing 455's.

It's mentioned in this video:

#255 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I did not realize that the bottom row of bulbs in the back box are supposed to be the flashing 455's.
» YouTube video

Yup.

Cointaker sells LED 455s.

RM

#256 10 years ago

>Not sure if the changing color LED is the right choice for this mod.

#257 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I did not realize that the bottom row of bulbs in the back box are supposed to be the flashing 455's.It's mentioned in this video:» YouTube video

Mine had the flasher bulbs in it, but I swapped them out. I personally don't care for the random flashing.

#258 10 years ago

I'm converting all my games to use tokens and updated the "push to reject" image in the coin slots of JP.

IMG_20140124_173607.jpgIMG_20140124_173607.jpg
#259 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

» YouTube video

Where can I source the clear ball saucer for T-rex? Would like to light it in green.

#260 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Where can I source the clear ball saucer for T-rex? Would like to light it in green.

I think this one would fit (I can't guarantee it, though):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9101-13

1 month later
#261 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I think this one would fit (I can't guarantee it, though):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9101-13

It does fit. I bought and installed a clear one. It looks great even without adding a new light below it (which I'm doing soon).

#262 10 years ago

I'm starting my park gate mod and installing some spot lights this weekend I'll post up picks with my progress.

#263 10 years ago

20140301_122857.jpg20140301_122857.jpg20140301_171008.jpg20140301_171008.jpg
Got the gate built now just to do the sign and air brush it to make it look more realistic

#264 10 years ago
Quoted from Switch:

Got the gate built now just to do the sign and air brush it to make it look more realistic>

It would be sweet if you could make the doors open. I might try and figure that out when I restore mine.

#265 10 years ago

My plan is to see how this one turns out and add leds to it and possibly look at making the gate open with a small servo. I figured I'd just take it one step at a time.

#266 10 years ago
Quoted from Switch:

My plan is to see how this one turns out and add leds to it and possibly look at making the gate open with a small servo. I figured I'd just take it one step at a time.

The PIG 2 can control 2 servos, lights and other electronics. It would be a good fit for this.

#267 10 years ago

I added some trees. I also pulled out the old, yellow eject shield that sits in front of T-Rex and replaced it with a clear one. Then I wired a white bulb in to the GI and placed it beneath it. I think it makes it look real clean and bright. And it looks good when the ball lands in it.

IMG_3878.JPGIMG_3878.JPG
IMG_3882-687.JPGIMG_3882-687.JPG

1 week later
#268 10 years ago

LEDs

IMG_3914.JPGIMG_3914.JPG

#269 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I made some apron cards for a friend's JP, download and print if you'd like to have them.

Thanks for making up these cards. They look great!

IMG_3914.JPGIMG_3914.JPG

#270 10 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Thanks for making up these cards. They look great!

Awesome, happy to share.

#271 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Awesome, happy to share.

Where, or how can I get the cards. Thanks.

#272 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Download the file from his previous post and print them out. I printed them on some glossy photo paper.

#273 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Just download and print the PDF, should come out the right size: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/jurassic-park-cards.pdf

#274 10 years ago

Those are the best instructions cards yet! Nice job. However, there is a typo under System Failure. "Slwitches"

#275 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just download and print the PDF, should come out the right size: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/jurassic-park-cards.pdf

Thanks.

#276 10 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

Those are the best instructions cards yet! Nice job. However, there is a typo under System Failure. "Slwitches"

Son of a - ...

Fixing!! This is what I get for hand typing my own rules in Photoshop, with no spellcheck.

#277 10 years ago

Fixed, redownload at same link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/jurassic-park-cards.pdf

I should have our copy editor at Ars read my instructions cards.

Thanks jeffsgames!

#278 10 years ago

No problem. Those are awesome!

#279 10 years ago

Someone asked for a $0.50 version instead of free play in another thread, so just to keep all the mods in one spot I'll link them here too:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/227626/Shared/jurassic-park-50-cents.pdf

Same cards, just with price for ops.

#280 10 years ago

Question about JP - how easy it is it diagnose and care for as a "first pin"? I love the theme, and with the new code coming out (one day!), I'm weighing my options.

#281 10 years ago

JP was my first pin and was relatively trouble free for years. Not a bad pin to learn on either. I'd highly recommend it for you Nicoga3000 just make sure you get an already working one (and NOT a project) so you can just start by handling the small issues and tweaks as they arise.

#282 10 years ago

I'll honestly tell you that of the 7 machines at my house, JP is the most diva-like and in need of attention. It is never anything huge, and I'm a newbie and have been able to fix them myself for the most part, but it seems to regularly have switch problems for the control room. (This is a very common thing considering how much that shot gets hit, and there was even a press release from Data East about it for operators when it came out.) It's a $2 part and just requires replacing the switch and a quick solder, but it is a critical switch to be able to progress with the modes. My t-rex currently will not pick up/eat the ball, which I've been told is a wire problem, but after seeing other people's issues after poking around on the rex, I'm hesitant to take it apart to work on it. It doesn't really affect gameplay, but that's the 'cool toy feature' so it does look much better when it works. While I love my Data East and Sega pins, they are a pain to get to the bulbs since they are stapled underneath the playfield (whereas Williams/Gottlieb/Bally can be unscrewed/removed from the bottom) so you have to take off the plastics/ramps/etc to be able to access all the bulbs from the top. JP is a good candidate for nice LED bulbs so that you don't have to change blown bulbs as often.

I agree with fattrain that if you're looking for one, get one that is already working properly as opposed to a project pin. It was my first pin and I don't regret getting it one bit. I had a party for a few autistic kids this past Saturday and we did it Jurassic Park themed with dino decorations everywhere, the 3D movie playing in the theater, and of course the pin. One kid was disappointed that the rex didn't eat the ball, but everyone had a blast and determined that of the 7 pins I have at the house, JP was the absolute best.

(This is my dino feast and one of the kids with his mom.)

image-149.jpgimage-149.jpg
image-723.jpgimage-723.jpg
image-186.jpgimage-186.jpg
image-554.jpgimage-554.jpg

#283 10 years ago

Interesting, thank you!

I realize I could start a thread for this, but you guys seem to know the machine best, so I'll ask here!

My wife basically has said I could spend anything I want on a pin. The more I think about it, the more I'd rather buy a game in the $2k range and save up for a second game vs spending $5k on something like TRON (which would be awesome, but it would be the ONLY game I own for a long time, haha). JP is a great theme that I feel like everyone can love and appreciate (important to her).

That said, if I go to check one of these out, what do I need to be looking for when assessing a game??

#284 10 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

That said, if I go to check one of these out, what do I need to be looking for when assessing a game??

JP was my first pin as well. It will always have sentimental value and most likely never leave as my 4 and 6 year old love Dinosaurs (not as much as ACDC apparently however)?

Do you know any Pinsiders near you that could go with you to look at a machine? I was lucky when I bought mine; I knew nothing but my game was in pristine condition. It is hard for a beginner to know what to look for (I miss things too and that is 12 games later). What I first look for now is obvious wear - I cannot fix these issues. On JP, check out all the scoop holes. Cliffy makes protectors for this game, and I think they are a MUST have. Look at the wear in the T-Rex saucer area. Look for broken/chipped plastics - these are next to impossible to come by!!! A set just sold on E-bay for around $1100.00!!! Aside from cosmetic flaws, take a peak in the back box and look for hacks by previous owners/operators. Many of these hacks will be obvious to see… Lift up the play field and take a look under there as well. Some problems/hacks are visible, some require more in depth searching. Go into the test menu and see if anything registers as odd or not working - switches, lights, coils etc.
Turn the game on and with the glass off, start a game. Manually press switches and targets and make sure they are all registering.
Take pictures of the game you want to buy, and post them here/email a trusted pinsider and they can help hopefully; two sets of eyes are better than one.

I am in no way an expert, but if there is anything I can do to help you out, just let me know! JP is a great game and extremely fun to mod the heck out of!!

Good Luck
Kyle

#285 10 years ago

When you say broken plastics, what do you mean exactly?

#286 10 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

When you say broken plastics, what do you mean exactly?

The plastics with the art on them that the light shines through are often broken on pinball machines. Also the ramp plastic is important to inspect for cracks or broken places.

This is a set of the hard to find plastics on JP. I would not be surprised if someone makes and sells them one day, as of now they are not reproduced for public sale.

jp.jpgjp.jpg

#287 10 years ago

Awesome, thanks

Odd question, but can you buy/3D print blank plastics and just paint them yourself? Being an artsy type, that could be a fun project, haha.

#288 10 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Awesome, thanks
Odd question, but can you buy/3D print blank plastics and just paint them yourself? Being an artsy type, that could be a fun project, haha.

You would not need a 3D printer, because the plastic can be bought in sheets and printed onto. Painting it by hand would not likely be worth the time/effort for the results. The best way to reproduce plastics is to scan a set and have them professionally printed on. There are pinheads that do this.

For copyright reasons and my ignorance to the laws, I am not suggesting you do this.

#289 10 years ago

Haha OK. Interesting that it's an option though (that wouldn't cost me TONS of money).

Also, blondetall, I told my wife your story and she thought it was super great - love the pics, too!

I'm thinking instead of investing in a $4k+ machine, I may grab 2 machines for $1-2.5k. Add some variety AND excitement to the mix. JP is definitely one that I'm hunting down!

E: OK, I found one for $1900. Awesome! I have a few questions that I want to get learned on early.

This video talks about a few issues. The one with the scoop shot shaking and not triggering modes...Is that an easy fix? And as I said before, any suggestions on what I should look for and how to test/trigger/review various modes and diagnostics? Never done this before, haha.

#290 10 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Question about JP - how easy it is it diagnose and care for as a "first pin"? I love the theme, and with the new code coming out (one day!), I'm weighing my options.

Jurassic Park was my first machine and I liked it so much I bought a "project" Jurassic Park as my fourth machine. I'm at the point now where I'd really just like to ship that one off to a repair man and have it returned a few months later completely fixed. After every repair, I'm finding two more items that need work. Quite honestly I'm just not enjoying the process, which is a change from the past. I never used to not mind working on my machines, but this one has really been a drag. Maybe it's my lack of success with the damn third flipper, but right now I'm lacking the motivation and time to work on the machine. All those features that make it a cool machine make it complicated to work on.

#291 10 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Jurassic Park was my first machine and I liked it so much I bought a "project" Jurassic Park as my fourth machine. I'm at the point now where I'd really just like to ship that one off to a repair man and have it returned a few months later completely fixed. After every repair, I'm finding two more items that need work. Quite honestly I'm just not enjoying the process, which is a change from the past. I never used to not mind working on my machines, but this one has really been a drag. Maybe it's my lack of success with the damn third flipper, but right now I'm lacking the motivation and time to work on the machine. All those features that make it a cool machine make it complicated to work on.

I have owned two different JP's and I have found them to be no more difficult to work on or prone to issues than other pins from the era.

#292 10 years ago

I haven't had any issues with any of my DE machines. And they were all in pretty bad shape when I got them.

#293 10 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Make sure the Control Room works when you dump a ball down into the scoop. If the lil' yellow light is on above the Control Room and you toss a ball down there, a mode should engage.

Make 100% sure the TREX works. There's a minimum of 4 "moments" he should work:

1. Very first ball he eats.
2. Once you've spelled out "TREX" on the left side of the machine - the red indicator lights.
3. "Feed TREX" mode.
4. When multiball begins if you hit the TREX shot to engage multiball.

If he "drops" the ball 1/50 times = not a crisis. If he drops the ball more than 1/50 - in my opinion - uh oh. Every once in a blue moon, he'll drop the ball - gravity, rotation of the earth, fate - whatever - it does happen EVERY once in a while. If he starts dropping the ball a lot - there's something out of sync/adjustment/or starting to fail.

The TREX is easily the "cool toy" factor of the game, and when it doesn't work - life sucks.

Those are the two areas that can really halt the game.

Make sure the person selling you the game shows you how to do all the lil' tests - all lights on, coil testing, flashers. A seller should know how to do all the tests pretty quickly and easily. It's the equivalency of someone selling you a used car and not knowing how to open the hood to the engine - how much trust would that instill in you as a future buyer if the seller is telling you "Oh yeah, everything's great - no issues - always kept in tip-top shape.", and they do not even know how to open the engine bay....?

If a seller gets "froggy" or impatient because you're asking a lot of questions - something's not right. Don't ever let emotion take over logic when buying one of these machines. Take your wife, a friend, SOMEONE to keep you in check. I say these things not to rain your parade, but as someone that did make stupid choices over 2 years ago now. Don't want you to go through the crap I did, man - so - take someone with you that can "reel you in" if you start saying "Oh, it's fixable....and so is that and that and that...." - you'll be amazed how nothing is "too difficult to repair" when you really want one of these machines.

Good luck to you! I had a JP from March 2012 to August 2012 - loved it. Was a great machine!

Blast from the past!

#294 10 years ago

It kind of feels like this thread is going off topic from JP mods to JP maintenance and purchasing advice.

I just put some lighted flipper buttons on mine.

#295 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

It kind of feels like this thread is going off topic from JP mods to JP maintenance and purchasing advice.
I just put some lighted flipper buttons on mine.

Sure is.

We have a brand new person asking for help. You can bet, after what I went through in 2012 (almost lost $2200 to a POS JP...in 2012...), I will do whatever it takes to make sure he does not get burned. Blondetall is active in this thread; I am sure if she feels it goes too far off topic, she'll chime in and let us know.

#296 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Blondetall is active in this thread; I am sure if she feels it goes too far off topic, she'll chime in and let us know.

I think this has turned more into the JP club thread, since it is the most active JP thread. I went looking to see if there was a JP club thread and found this one over a month old.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club#post-1446873

#297 10 years ago

I'm in! Look at the cool egg the previous owner found for it!

IMAG0527.jpgIMAG0527.jpg

#298 10 years ago

I need to get some good pictures of it, but I installed a small 3" strip light to the underneath of the amber block on my dad's machine. It really lights the block up in a cool way. I will get a better picture of it when I am at his house on Thursday.

#299 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I need to get some good pictures of it, but I installed a small 3" strip light to the underneath of the amber block on my dad's machine. It really lights the block up in a cool way. I will get a better picture of it when I am at his house on Thursday.

Sounds cool. Is it always on or is it controlled by the lamp matrix for the mosquito light?

#300 10 years ago

Always on and then put a flex warm white in the light behind it right behind the mosquito. Then it is always glowing, but when the mosquito light blinks the mosquito really shows up well in a silhouette kind of way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
There are 701 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/share-your-jurassic-park-mods/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.