• Latest reply 9 years ago by CanGame
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi All.... Just picked up a Shaq Attaq and the guy said the all five drop targets will not reset if they are all knocked down. after about four days in my house, this has become apparent. I have to pull up the play board and pull up the silver metal bar to physically reset the targets. I did a self test and the the solenoid reset is working, which is to say if all the targets are down before I do the self test, the solenoid will push them all up, but they will drop right back down again. And as I said if I rest by hand, they all stay up. Any guidance on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

Try and hit down one target at a time to make sure each targets switches are registering .
If not the game won't reset the targets unless it knows all 5 targets have registered.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Try and hit down one target at a time to make sure each targets switches are registering .
If not the game won't reset the targets unless it knows all 5 targets have registered.

Yup that's the first step. Coil fires, so that works, so you gotta think it's not getting the information it needs to tell it to reset them. You probably hit a couple at a time and wouldn't notice if one isn;t working.

#4 9 years ago

I'll try your suggestion, but I do not think it will resolve anything because this happens ALL the time all targets get knocked down. I would find it hard to believe that the situation of "individual targets" not being hit would be the reason of the fail, but I'll pull off the glass and try it and report back later.

Thanks

#5 9 years ago

Couple of things to note about Sys3 drops.

In coil test, coils do not fire like in the game. As a result, some coils may not fully reset drops/VUK etc in coil test but that's not the point. If the coil functions in test then it's good.

The five bank in SA is a memory bank. That means it has both a reset coil and individual trip coils for each drop. This way it can reset the bank to where it was from player to player.

I have to go back and look at the SA rules but at the start of a game, it should reset the 5 bank. It may then trip one or more of the drops - I don't remember. Someone who has the game may know. If it's resetting but the drops are not staying up, there's a problem with the mechanism. In solenoid test, check to see that each trip coil fires (Sol 7-11).

viperrwk

#6 9 years ago

Thanks Vip.
I took the glass off and tried each target separately as the other guys said, and this did not fix/resolve anything. I did notice that the #1 target sometimes does not reset properly all the time and when I move this target up and down by hand, I can feel a little rough resistance compared to the others. I also notice the springs are stretched on all but #5, or maybe all are normal and #5 is a dif spring that has been installed, but I do not think that the springs have anything to do with the reset and only for knock down.

Also VIP, I just checked 7-11 and only 11 is working. When I hit the reset in test mode after knocking down #5 target with 11 test, it will reset #5. But this does not explain why it does not reset all five at the start of a new game, or does it?

CanGame

#7 9 years ago

I think the suggestion is to put the game in switch test and see if the drops register. If they don't then the machine doesn't know the switches are down and will then not reset them. Couple of things you need to do. First run the Switch Matrix Test. From the manual:

The first part of this test will report any switch(s) which have not been operated in the course of the last 15 games (INOPERATIVE SWITCHES). The second part of the test will report any switch(s) which are stuck closed. If no switches are closed when this test is started, the message "ALL
SWITCHES OPEN" will be displayed. If any switches are closed, the closed switch(s) name and number will continuously be displayed. The strobe number and the return number are combined to form the switch number (strobe,return). The Credit button can be used to restart this test.

You want to see if the switches for the drops are reported as inoperative switches, specifically switches 15, 25, 35, 26 & 36 (the switch numbers on the drops from left to right as you are facing them). If any are down, you then want to see if those are reported as closed switches. If they are not, they you have a problem with the switches in the bank not recognizing the down drop and you will likely need to remove/clean/rebuild/replace parts.

Quoted from CanGame:

Also VIP, I just checked 7-11 and only 11 is working. When I hit the reset in test mode after knocking down #5 target with 11 test, it will reset #5.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. If the drops are up and you are in solenoid test and you test Sol11 (right-most drop as you are facing it), that drop should go down. It should not go back up until you test Sol2 (5 bank reset). If it is immediately going back up then you have a logic problem. I will have to double check this. Do you know which version of the game ROM you are running? You can determine this when you turn on the machine - it will say the name of the game, then "743/?" where the question mark is a number. That number will tell you the version of the game ROM installed.

viperrwk

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

I'm not sure what you are saying here. If the drops are up and you are in solenoid test and you test Sol11 (right-most drop as you are facing it), that drop should go down. It should not go back up until you test Sol2 (5 bank reset). If it is immediately going back up then you have a logic problem. I will have to double check this. Do you know which version of the game ROM you are running? You can determine this when you turn on the machine - it will say the name of the game, then "743/?" where the question mark is a number. That number will tell you the version of the game ROM installed.
viperrwk

All drops were up and in test, the only one that did work was #11. it is not immediately going back by itself, but does go back up when I test sol2.

I am running ROM version 5.

After running the switch test, I get the following...... and this is with all targets up when being tested.
05-tournement
06-front door
15-drop target #1
16-spinner
23-through
24-out hole
35-drop target #3
36-drop target #5

Also you can see the springs on the photo, which I assume need to all be replaced....

Trevor

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender (1).jpg
#9 9 years ago

The short answer - you have to pull and rebuild that entire assembly.

The long answer: yes, as you rightly surmise, the springs in that photo need replacing.
The drops that are registering when they are up should not so there is a switch problem (dirty/bent contacts) that needs to be addressed.
The single trip solenoid working tells me you have a wiring problem with the drops. The power comes in to Sol11 and is chained from there to the other trip solenoids. Seems like that connection from Sol11 to the other trip coils is bad.

There is a 2 wire connector and a 6 wire connector for the drop bank. You should be able to find them by following the two wires from the reset coil. The grey/grey/black wire goes to the 2 wire connector and the other goes to the 6 wire. Both connectors need to be unplugged then you should be able to unscrew it from the playfield, remove the whole assembly and work on it on the bench.

viperrwk

#10 9 years ago

Thanks all,
I'll order up springs and get ready to rebuild. I'll probably clean/rebuild the assembly and put in th enew springs once they arrive.

Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaq-attaqdrop-targets-do-not-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.