Lock_Relay.jpg
Player1_100s_reel_closeup.jpg
Player1_100s_reel.jpg
IMG_20130915_235434[1]_relay_bank.jpg
Relay_bank_underside.jpg
IMG_20130915_235422_tilt_relay_sw.jpg
under_PF_tilt.jpg
mech_panel_tilt.jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hello Everyone! I am the proud new owner of a 1967 Shangri-la. I played a quick game on it at the seller's house and didn't notice any obvious problems. Once I got home I played quite a few games and noticed that it will activate the tilt function even though there is no plumb bob on the wire form. The horizontal tilt "ball cage" doesn't have a ball in it either. One of the switch blades is broken off from the switch that is located at the end of the "ball cage."

It doesn't tilt every game or every ball. Sometimes it will do it twice in a row and other times it won't do it for five or more games. When it does tilt it's either right after a ball is plunged and it hits a rollover target, but I can't figure out which rollover because I took the glass off and tapped on all of the rollovers repeatedly and it didn't do it. I do have one rollover that won't register a score 90% of the time it is hit and when I did get it to score it didn't tilt immediately. Sometimes it will already be tilted before you even plunge the ball. I also noticed if you are in a two-player game and it is already tilted before plunging the ball that the next players ball will be tilted before they plunge and it won't go back to be un-tilted until both players turn is over on that particular ball.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to check out to fix this annoying problem?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

My only suggestion would be to check the wires going to those to see if the are grounding.

#3 10 years ago

There could be another tilt mech that is tripping it. Under the play field, backside of the coin door, in the head or on the bottom mech panel. Could be gapped too close or gapped too loose depending on whether it's a normally closed or open tilt.
Alex

#4 10 years ago

Also check switch gaps on tilt relay. Could be mounted under the playfield or on bottom mech panel within a series of other relays.

Also congrats on the pickup. Shangri-La is supposed to be a great game.
Alex

#5 10 years ago

Ahhhhhh! I need your help, it's worse now! I tried to trip the tilt relay manually by closing one of the contacts and now the flippers won't work and none of the switches on the playfield will score anything- just like it's in tilt mode It will still trip the tilt relay if I close the tilt switch on the bottom side of the playfield and it will reset the relay if I put a ball in the through, but it is still dead on the next ball. I checked all of the fuses and they are fine.

I hope I didn't screw anything up with my poking around! Any ideas?

#6 10 years ago

Well, you likely had a marginally misadjusted switch on the tilt relay that is now very well misadjusted. You have to use logic when you inspect the switches on these relays. Are there two coils on the relay or one? If one it's easy to press in the armature plate in and out to see how the switches would be positioned when opened and closed. If it has two coils one will lock the position in place. You can lock and unlock the position by pulling in one of the armature plates.

Here's some good reading to help you along. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean
Alex

#7 10 years ago

I inspected and cleaned all of the switches in the tilt relay and it didn't make a difference. It finally just came back on after raising and lowering the PF a few times looking at things. There is a bank of relays that is attached to the underside of the playfield. Anytime a standup or rollover was hit that is on that bank of relays the game acts likes it tilted, even though it hasn't. When one of the previously mentioned relays is activated the "reset bar" raises and the game quits playing. After a few times of doing this and starting games it began to act really screwed up like ringing a bell when you would push the start button and you would hear a coil stuck on and it would stay stuck on until you hit one of the rollover or standups that is associated with the bank of relays on the bottom of the PF and then the coil would shut off when it went into it's fake tilt mode.

I'm at my wits end with the P.O.S. today and feel like putting a stick of dynamite in it!! Arrrgh!

#8 10 years ago

Hmm, that is frustrating. I certainly understand but don't blow it up. It's just broad speculation for me without being able to be hands on with it. I'm hoping it's not a short. You say raising and lowering the play field had an affect on the play field having power? More guessing but are the jones plugs clean and seated properly? Any binding of the play field wiring harness where the cloth insulation could have worn off. Any loose solder lugs on the playfield underside relays? Could be locked coil somewhere. Just a couple things to look over.

There are a lot of great EM techs on this board that are good with a schematic. If you have one and can scan some of it in they may be able to lead you to the cause of your trouble.
Alex

#9 10 years ago

AlexF, thanks again for responding to my dilema. LOL Ok, so new day, new start and don't feel like blowing it up..... yet. LOL What we figured out when raising and lowering the PF is that the reset bar on the bank of relays on the bottom of the PF raises and the game does it's fake tilt. I really think this is the root of the problem.

When we brought the game home I unplugged and looked at the connectors and they all looked clean, but I didn't clean them so I guess I can do that. I can inspect the wires on the relays on the bottom of the PF for loose lugs. I will also look at the cloth insulation.

I don't have a schematic as I just got the game and it didn't come with one, but there is one on ipdb.org Do you think I should start a new thread and see if any of the EM techs respond or is there one that you recommend I should send a private message to?

Thanks again!

#10 10 years ago

I am a bit surprised none of the regular guys have jumped in yet. Play around with it a bit. If you find your making no progress maybe a new thread would get some attention?
Alex

#11 10 years ago

Ok. I'm going to take a good luck at the bank of relays on the bottom of the PF and hopefully some of the regular guys jump in because I'm a newb and could really use their help!

#12 10 years ago

So I took the shop light and gave everything on the relay bank a good look. Someone has re-done a majority of the wiring at one time or another and it looks very good, probably done by a professional.

Everything looks good. The only thing I see is that most of the switch contacts look pretty dirty. I am hesitant to clean the switches because everything worked before, I'm a newb and by no means a pro at cleaning switches and don't want to potentially introduce any new problems.

I printed off the schematic from ipdb so I have that it my hands now.

Anyone know what I should do next or look for?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Anyone know what I should do next or look for?

Lets do this first. Schematics> http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2110/ShangriLa.pdf
Ok as AlexF said it looks like a tilt trip contact is too close that vibration is kicking in the Tilt Re.
From 19-20 d-g on the schematic you have a plumb ,ball and 2 shake tilts <most likely the shake tilts as you said the others are disabled.
The 2 your looking for are are in these locations> under the playfield and the mech panel.

S-la_tilts.JPGS-la_tilts.JPG

#14 10 years ago

Also see how the tilt Make and break switches will affect the Player unit and ball index Re.

Pu._m-b_tilt.JPGPu._m-b_tilt.JPG B.i._tilt.JPGB.i._tilt.JPG

#15 10 years ago

I agree with Pin-it. only 3 switches possible to make the tilt relay pull in.

you can try putting pieces of paper in between the switches to help trouble shoot which one is closed

--Jeff

#16 10 years ago

Pin-it / way2wyrd,

Thank you very much for joining this thread and trying to help me fix my problem. I have attached two pics of the tilt switches that you mentioned. I don't think these are causing the problem.

This morning I went out to the game and let it do it's fake tilt thing and saw that when it did this it didn't activate the tilt solenoid. If I manually close the tilt switches in the pictures it will activate the tilt solenoid and "tilt" will light up on the backglass.

It also is sometimes starting a game on ball 2 and when the ball trips the trough switch it will score 200 points on the player 2 score reel even though it's on a one player game!

mech_panel_tilt.jpgmech_panel_tilt.jpg under_PF_tilt.jpgunder_PF_tilt.jpg

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

When one of the previously mentioned relays is activated the "reset bar" raises and the game quits playing. After a few times of doing this and starting games it began to act really screwed up like ringing a bell when you would push the start button and you would hear a coil stuck on and it would stay stuck on until you hit one of the rollover or standups that is associated with the bank of relays on the bottom of the PF and then the coil would shut off when it went into it's fake tilt mode.

Ok may be this >> http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0309.html

Try tapping the playfield or press the rollovers to get it to act up,it will reveal itself (wire/contact burn marks/dark spots/sparks) just keep a close eye on what is happening.
Load some photos of the relay bank?

For the ball count unit,have you rebuilt it ?(cleaned + lube)more info here.>> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

#18 10 years ago

Ok may be this >> http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0309.html

I looked at the bank of relays and switches and didn't see anything that looked odd or jumped out at me, such as switches touching other switches, but then again I'm not a professional so I may not be looking for the right thing.

Try tapping the playfield or press the rollovers to get it to act up,it will reveal itself (wire/contact burn marks/dark spots/sparks) just keep a close eye on what is happening.
Load some photos of the relay bank?

I turned off the lights and I got it to mess up. When it messed up I noticed that one of the switch stacks on the tilt relay sparks. I'm pretty sure in the pictures below the one that sparks is the topmost one, but not 100% sure of that. I also noticed that when the switch on the tilt relay sparks that the copper colored "arm" doesn't raise like when I manually close once of the tilt switches on the PF or mechanical panel. The brown looking little roller moves upward slightly also when the switch mentioned above sparks.

Is the big aluminum bank reset bar supposed to stay down when the game is playing? I noticed that the game won't play if the arm is up, but if the arm is down it will play and also when hitting a playfield target or rollover the arm lifts slightly and quits playing.

Another observation tonight was that when I could get it to start a ball and not automatically do it's fake tilt thing that the "hundreds" reel on player one acts like it was trying to move and everytime I would hit the flippers or any switch on the PF besides a rollover or standup the reel would try and jump a little. I did have a problem with the machine when I first brought it home that Player One's hundreds reel wouldn't reset 100% of the times I started a new game. I remember reading in Clay H's repair guide that Williams games were known for wires coming off of the switch lugs. Sure enough I found a wire that was off of the Player One hundreds reel so I stripped the wire, twisted it with the one that was still on the lug and soldered them both back on- see closeup picture for the wires that I repaired. The machine has always done it's fake or 1/2 tilt thing, but when I soldered the wires back is right around the time it started to act really crazy with the ball counts, ringing a chime when resetting the game, scoring on player 2's score reels even when it was set to a one player game, buzzing sound, etc. When I pulled the reel off to take the pics I noticed that relay was warm and the other reel's relays weren't warm to the touch.

For the ball count unit,have you rebuilt it ?(cleaned + lube)more info here.>> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

No, I haven't done this yet. I was thinking of doing it, but since the ball counter worked flawlessly before it went haywire I thought I better leave it alone and fix the haywire problem first. If you think I should go ahead clean it and lube it I don't have a problem doing that.

I apologize for the length of the response, but just want to be as detailed as possible.

IMG_20130915_235422_tilt_relay_sw.jpgIMG_20130915_235422_tilt_relay_sw.jpg Relay_bank_underside.jpgRelay_bank_underside.jpg IMG_20130915_235434[1]_relay_bank.jpgIMG_20130915_235434[1]_relay_bank.jpg

#19 10 years ago

Below is a general pic of the Player One "hundreds" reel and a close-up of the wire repair that I did- top lug with the two wires on it.

Player1_100s_reel.jpgPlayer1_100s_reel.jpg Player1_100s_reel_closeup.jpgPlayer1_100s_reel_closeup.jpg

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

and noticed that it will activate the tilt function even though there is no plumb bob on the wire form. The horizontal tilt "ball cage" doesn't have a ball in it either.

Hi all, been awhile since I have had time for Pinside.
Reading the OP, the machine randomly tilts, Correct? Is this now fixed? (Don’t think so)
As you know, there are four SW that can make the machine tilt. As we can see the Sw’s are not making contact, but if they are assembled wrong or broken in the insulators we could have this issue. Put your DMM across the sw’s and give them a wiggle see what happens.

#21 10 years ago

One other thing, it may have more than two slam SWs, check the coin door for a slam SW

#22 10 years ago

Welcome back Chrisbee.

#23 10 years ago

Multiple problems going on,but just to be sure are the jones plugs in the proper position?
If its still tilting ,then as Chrisbee suggests meter check your tilt switches,something is tripping the tilt relay.

The ball count unit sounds like it works proper. < Just a symptom, not the cause of your bigger issue.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Is the big aluminum bank reset bar supposed to stay down when the game is playing? I noticed that the game won't play if the arm is up, but if the arm is down it will play and also when hitting a playfield target or rollover the arm lifts slightly and quits playing.

you are getting advice from people who are much better at this than i, but this part of your post jumped out at me...

if i'm interpreting what you are saying correctly (and it's entirely possible i'm not, i've interpreted things wrong before )...

no, it should not "stay down"... the reset bar should, well, "reset" the relays when the coil fires, and then return to the "at rest" position...

i'm not sure how the reset bar is adjusted on a williams, but if the game is "not working" when the bar is "up/at rest", that's going to have to be fixed as well... this is possibly causing some of your other woes, as the tilt relay would be impacted by this...

chris

edit: no need for apologies about length of post, the more detail, the better...

2nd edit: upon further reflection, working while the reset bar is "down" (i.e. resetting the relays) could be (probably is? dunno) masking an issue with the tilt switches... however, i would think that would result in a ton of issues with the other relays in the bank...

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Hi all, been awhile since I have had time for Pinside.
Reading the OP, the machine randomly tilts, Correct? Is this now fixed? (Don’t think so)
As you know, there are four SW that can make the machine tilt. As we can see the Sw’s are not making contact, but if they are assembled wrong or broken in the insulators we could have this issue. Put your DMM across the sw’s and give them a wiggle see what happens.

Hello! Thank you for joining in on the fun. LOL

It does randomly tilt, but it doesn't fully trip the tilt relay or light the "tilt" light on the backglass like it does if I manually close the tilt switch that is located on the bottom of the PF. No, it's not fixed yet.

I hooked my DMM up to the switch solder lugs and wiggled the switches and came up with the following. I wasn't 100% sure what my DMM readings should look like so I tested the start switch and a switch on the lock relay and came up with the following:

Playfield Tilt Swich: Open=5.1 Closed=.5
Coin Door Slam Tilt Switch: Open=no reading Closed=.5
Start Switch: Open=no reading Closed=.5
Mech Panel Tilt: Open=5.1 Closed=.5
Lock Relay Swich: Open=.5 Closed=.5

There was no change in any of the switches tested when wiggled.

I wonder if I stumbled on something by testing the lock relay and saw that it gave the same reading whether it was opened or closed? Also it seems odd to me that some of the switches have some resistance when open and some read "open"

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Multiple problems going on,but just to be sure are the jones plugs in the proper position?
If its still tilting ,then as Chrisbee suggests meter check your tilt switches,something is tripping the tilt relay.
The ball count unit sounds like it works proper. < Just a symptom, not the cause of your bigger issue.

I double checked the jones plugs and they are on the proper positions- in the backbox the colors on male and female sides of the connector match. The two jones plugs on the back of the mech panel each have a different number of terminals so I know they are correct.

I did as Chrisbee suggested and tested some switches; the results are in my previous post. A couple things raised an eyebrow, but I'm not sure if what I saw are normal or not.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

you are getting advice from people who are much better at this than i, but this part of your post jumped out at me...
if i'm interpreting what you are saying correctly (and it's entirely possible i'm not, i've interpreted things wrong before )...
no, it should not "stay down"... the reset bar should, well, "reset" the relays when the coil fires, and then return to the "at rest" position...
i'm not sure how the reset bar is adjusted on a williams, but if the game is "not working" when the bar is "up/at rest", that's going to have to be fixed as well...

You interpreted correctly.
I just confirmed that the game will absolutely not play unless the reset bar is in the down position. I'm not sure if the bar being down is what is letting the game play or just another symptom of my problem. I'm guessing whatever this big problem is that I'm experiencing is holding the plunger in on the reset bank solenoid and I bet that when it is holding the bar down the solenoid is the loud buzzing sound I hear. I kind of figured like you said that bar should not stay down.

Quoted from ccotenj:

edit: no need for apologies about length of post, the more detail, the better...

Ok, that's what I figured, but thought it may have been overkill. LOL

Quoted from ccotenj:

2nd edit: upon further reflection, working while the reset bar is "down" (i.e. resetting the relays) could be (probably is? dunno) masking an issue with the tilt switches... however, i would think that would result in a ton of issues with the other relays in the bank...

It actually is causing issues with the other relays in the bank. Whenever any of the PF switches are hit that have the relay on this bank the game will then do it's
tilt thing.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Playfield Tilt Swich: Open=5.1 Closed=.5
Coin Door Slam Tilt Switch: Open=no reading Closed=.5
Mech Panel Tilt: Open=5.1 Closed=.5
Lock Relay Swich: Open=.5 Closed=.5

Assuming you have measured ohms, I would excepted more than 5.1Ω when open (it maybe 5.1 kΩ.) Also you have given a result for the PF slam SW and Coin Door Slam SW, but in your pic above, it looks like a Cabinet slam SW too?

Which Sw did you measure on the Lock RE (Wire colours).

Em’s are pure digital, all Sw’s are Open, Closed or Broken. Recheck the tilt Sw’s. Before you start, look at the DMM reading with probes apart and then together , note the values. Remove the coil fuse and re do the tilt SW test, the reading should be the same DMM test above. The results I would except would be the same as you got on the door slam SW, or at least all the same results for each tilt SW.

Removing the fuse will stop you measuring though the tilt coil and transformer, which may give you a reading like 50Ω.

Fault finding is a process of elimination and logic. Here we are trying to eliminate any issue with the SWs, which is the most logical place for this problem.

Have fun, it’s better than doing a crossword!!

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Assuming you have measured ohms, I would excepted more than 5.1Ω when open (it maybe 5.1 kΩ.) Also you have given a result for the PF slam SW and Coin Door Slam SW, but in your pic above, it looks like a Cabinet slam SW too?

I did measure ohms. My ohm meter was set on "200." Is this the correct setting for testing the switches? The tilt switch on the mechanical panel measures 5.1 open, .6 closed, and made no difference in the reading when I wiggled the switch.

Quoted from Chrisbee:

Which Sw did you measure on the Lock RE (Wire colours

Someone has changed the wires on that SW so I have attached a pic. I tested the switch that is all the way on the right and has the brown and green wires on it.

Quoted from Chrisbee:

Em’s are pure digital, all Sw’s are Open, Closed or Broken. Recheck the tilt Sw’s. Before you start, look at the DMM reading with probes apart and then together , note the values.

When I touched both leads of my DMM together it read .5 and when they weren't touched together there was no reading, once again with my DMM set to "200"
I re-checked all of the SWs in my 1st test and the results are as follows:
Mech Panel Tilt: Open=5.3 Closed=.6
Coin Door Tilt: Open=no reading Closed=.6
Start Switch: Open=no reading Closed=.6
PF Tilt: Open=5.2 Closed=.5
RH Lock Relay: Open=.6 Closed=.5
No change in readings when above switches were wiggled

Quoted from Chrisbee:

Remove the coil fuse and re do the tilt SW test, the reading should be the same DMM test above. The results I would except would be the same as you got on the door slam SW, or at least all the same results for each tilt SW.
Removing the fuse will stop you measuring though the tilt coil and transformer, which may give you a reading like 50Ω.

Below are my readings with all of the fuses out of the game:
PF Tilt: Open=19.9 Closed=.5
Coin Door Tilt: Open=no reading Closed=.5
Mech Panel Tilt: Open=20.1 Closed=.5
RH Lock Relay: Open=.5 Closed=.5

Lock_Relay.jpgLock_Relay.jpg

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Fault finding is a process of elimination and logic. Here we are trying to eliminate any issue with the SWs, which is the most logical place for this problem.
Have fun, it’s better than doing a crossword!

I appreciate you and everyone else with the help tesing the switches.
Definitely better than doing a crossword puzzle! LOL

#31 10 years ago

not that it's necessarily connected to the problem, and it could be just the way it looks in that picture, but the innermost switch on the lock relay looks like it is closed when it should be open...

from the way the blades "fit" in the armature, and going from the outermost to the innermost swtch, when the lock relay is disengaged, the switches should be closed, closed, open and open, and when it is engaged, they should be open, open, closed and closed...

nice to see the coil is in its customary toasted condition...

#32 10 years ago

not that it's necessarily connected to the problem, and it could be just the way it looks in that picture, but the innermost switch on the lock relay looks like it is closed when it should be open...
from the way the blades "fit" in the armature, and going from the outermost to the innermost swtch, when the lock relay is disengaged, the switches should be closed, closed, open and open, and when it is engaged, they should be open, open, closed and closed...
nice to see the coil is in its customary toasted condition...

I am pretty sure they are right, but thought I would put up two pics; one with it disengaged and one with me engaging it.

Lock_Relay_disengaged.jpgLock_Relay_disengaged.jpg Lock_Relay_engaged.jpgLock_Relay_engaged.jpg

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I am pretty sure they are right, but thought I would put up two pics; one with it disengaged and one with me engaging it.

I think we should all work on one issue at a time. Having said that, your Lock RE has been re-wrapped by someone, not a bought coil.

Quoted from pindude80:

Below are my readings with all of the fuses out of the game:
PF Tilt: Open=19.9 Closed=.5
Coin Door Tilt: Open=no reading Closed=.5
Mech Panel Tilt: Open=20.1 Closed=.5
RH Lock Relay: Open=.5 Closed=.5

With fuses out you should get -1 as your reading on your DMM for an open SW, but you are getting <20 Ω not what I would except. Yes 200 Ω is a good setting.

"RH Lock Relay: Open=.5 Closed=.5

PS I’m at a loss why you are including the Lock RE in the results , in the issue about the Tilt RE? What have I missed? Obviously, getting the same result open or closed is an issue for the Lock RE, but.

#34 10 years ago

Further. The .5 reading is inaccuracy in the meter, the .5 is zero. In the olden days of analogue meters we would calibrate to zero (little screw @ pointer center). With fuses out you should have an open circuit “infinite” or -1 or maybe 1. But not 20Ω, So problem. Why? What’s leaking?
@ 20 Ω we are pulling down voltage. So the RE is not tripping the lock bar, but is upsetting the game?

Coin door Sw - Good, not the problem.

What is common with both PF tilt SW and Mech Panel Tilt SW?

#35 10 years ago

Looks to be shorting? Sparking around that relay pivot arm ?just loosen and reset the contacts farther away.

Tilt_relay.JPGTilt_relay.JPG

#36 10 years ago

Schematic in case people missed it >> http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2110/ShangriLa.pdf

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

I think we should all work on one issue at a time. Having said that, your Lock RE has been re-wrapped by someone, not a bought coil.

I'm guessing that it's okay that it's been re-wrapped?

Quoted from Chrisbee:

With fuses out you should get -1 as your reading on your DMM for an open SW, but you are getting <20 Ω not what I would except. Yes 200 Ω is a good setting.
"RH Lock Relay: Open=.5 Closed=.5
PS I’m at a loss why you are including the Lock RE in the results , in the issue about the Tilt RE? What have I missed? Obviously, getting the same result open or closed is an issue for the Lock RE, but.

Yesterday was the first time that I tested a switch and I hooked up the leads to the lock relay because I wanted to see what the readings would look like on a switch that wasn't a tilt switch, kind of as a control I guess. I saw that it was .5 closed and open, thought it wasn't correct and posted that result up to maybe shed some light on what was going on. I apologize if I got ahead of myself and/or shouldn't have posted it.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Further. The .5 reading is inaccuracy in the meter, the .5 is zero. In the olden days of analogue meters we would calibrate to zero (little screw @ pointer center). With fuses out you should have an open circuit “infinite” or -1 or maybe 1.

The DMM I have is a cheapie from Harbor Freight that I have had for years. I can't really afford a good one right now, but if the one I have is going to give us problems in diagnosing the problem I can borrow a better DMM from my brother.

Quoted from Chrisbee:

But not 20Ω, So problem. Why? What’s leaking?
@ 20 Ω we are pulling down voltage. So the RE is not tripping the lock bar, but is upsetting the game?
Coin door Sw - Good, not the problem.
What is common with both PF tilt SW and Mech Panel Tilt SW?

Don't know if I follow you here. I think you might be asking a question to the other pros that are in this thread. I apologize for not being able to follow.

#39 10 years ago

Looks to be shorting? Sparking around that relay pivot arm ?just loosen and reset the contacts farther away.

Good eye! I just looked at it and the side of the switch closest to the pivot arm has about 1/8" clearance between it and the pivot arm. It definitely looks like it did make contact at one time or another, but it doesn't rest against it. I took a closeup pic to show the gap. I can move the pivot arm from side to side and make it hit the side of the switch, but in it's natural state it doesn't touch. Do you think I should loosen the screws and move it over as you suggested? Thanks for the help!

Tilt_Relay_Switch_Closeup.jpgTilt_Relay_Switch_Closeup.jpg

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Do you think I should loosen the screws and move it over as you suggested?

I would just to keep it one less trouble area,just remember to tighten the screw closest to the leafs first then the other.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

I would just to keep it one less trouble area,just remember to tighten the screw closest to the leafs first then the other.

I went ahead and did it, but probably as both of us expected there was no change in the way the game acted. Thanks for telling me in which order to tighten the screws.

#42 10 years ago

Don't know if I follow you here. I think you might be asking a question to the other pros that are in this thread.

My question was to you and other readers, it is rhetorical.

You have an issue where the tilt Re activates randomly, you have a reading that is, to me anyway, not expected. Why?

With the fuse out the reading should be infinity for open (-1) and 0 when closed for the tilt Sws, not 20Ω for open.

In my drawings below, the first one with fuse in, you have a circuit from the + probe thought the transformer, Fuse, Coil (Tilt) and – probe, this is a circuit with resistance. But in the 2nd drawing you have an Open circuit, you are reading 20Ω in this scenario, which is only possible it there is a closed circuit with some resistance.

It is possible that we are treating the symptoms and not the problem at this point.

Hope this helps some, with the idea to get us all thinking.

The DMM I have is a cheapie from Harbor Freight

For what we are doing here, a lamp, battery and a bit of wire would work, your meter is fine. but always test your meter before using as described earlier, check for zero and infinity.

Should have got SteveFury to do the drawings, he would have little electrons flowing and a meter reading and everything.

Help.jpgHelp.jpg Help1.jpgHelp1.jpg

#43 10 years ago

Stop press

See it worked, I’ve been thinking and looking.

Don’t worry about the 20Ω, I’m sure you are reading the resistance of the Game over trip coil.

This is one of only a few coils that can still be in the circuit when the machine is off. If you hold the Lock RE in the energised position and the fuse out, you will most likely get a infinity reading.

Six down – “One who spends ages writing a post only to see his own mistake” 4 -12 letters

“over enthusiastic”

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Don’t worry about the 20Ω, I’m sure you are reading the resistance of the Game over trip coil.
This is one of only a few coils that can still be in the circuit when the machine is off. If you hold the Lock RE in the energised position and the fuse out, you will most likely get a infinity reading.

I just did a test with all of the fuses out of the game, except for the PF fuse because I forgot to take it out and didn't notice it was in until I was done with my test. With my DMM set to "200" I tested the three tilt switches and came up with the following:

Playfield Tilt: Open=19.9 Open w/relay energized position=18.7 Closed=.5 Closed w/relay energized position=.5

Mech Panel Tilt: Open=19.9 Open w/relay energized position=18.7 Closed=.5 Closed w/relay energized position=.5

Coin Door Tilt: Open=infinity Open w/relay energized position=infinity Closed=.6 Closed w/relay energized position=.6

Let me know if I need to re-test these with the PF fuse out.

#45 10 years ago

I haven't been on Pinside enough lately, but I have a Shangri-La in my basement. I'll be happy to provide any assistance I can.

I wonder if it's possible that we're troubleshooting the wrong problem. Are you sure you're actually getting a tilt? Is the tilt light on the backglass coming on? If your lock relay is dirty or poorly adjusted, it's common to experience tilt like symptoms when high current solenoids activate.

Here's the failure model:
1. High current solenoid fires, and pulls current away from the lock relay coil.
2. The lock relay coil loses it's holding force and begins to move to a de-energized position.
3. The blades on the lock relay start to change position, but not all at the same time. One will lose contact before the others.
4. The high current solenoid has now finished firing, and the lock relay re-energizes.
5. The game is now in an unknown state. Part of the game has seen a power cycle, and part of it hasn't. Because the score motor never reset, some parts of the game know that you have a ball in play while others don't. This can look and feel much like a tilt, but it's not a tilt.

The easiest way to check is to see if the tilt light is coming on in the backglass. If there are no lights, there's no tilt. I don't remember whether it's on Shangri-La, but there may be a flasher bulb on the relay board that should come on with a tilt. The tilt will reset the first time the bulb flashes.

Good luck.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

I haven't been on Pinside enough lately, but I have a Shangri-La in my basement. I'll be happy to provide any assistance I can.

Hello. Thank you for joining in and offering to help us with your Shangri-la!

Quoted from rancegt:

I wonder if it's possible that we're troubleshooting the wrong problem. Are you sure you're actually getting a tilt? Is the tilt light on the backglass coming on?

In the first few posts in this thread I mentioned that it acts like it is tilting, but the tilt light isn't lighting up. The only way the tilt will light on the backglass and the tilt relay trip is if I manually close the playfield tilt switch or close the tilt switch on the mechanical panel. T So you might be on to something here.

Quoted from rancegt:

If your lock relay is dirty or poorly adjusted, it's common to experience tilt like symptoms when high current solenoids activate.
1. High current solenoid fires, and pulls current away from the lock relay coil.
2. The lock relay coil loses it's holding force and begins to move to a de-energized position.
3. The blades on the lock relay start to change position, but not all at the same time. One will lose contact before the others.
4. The high current solenoid has now finished firing, and the lock relay re-energizes.
5. The game is now in an unknown state. Part of the game has seen a power cycle, and part of it hasn't. Because the score motor never reset, some parts of the game know that you have a ball in play while others don't. This can look and feel much like a tilt, but it's not a tilt.
The easiest way to check is to see if the tilt light is coming on in the backglass. If there are no lights, there's no tilt. I don't remember whether it's on Shangri-La, but there may be a flasher bulb on the relay board that should come on with a tilt. The tilt will reset the first time the bulb flashes.
Good luck.

I see what you are saying and it makes sense. I don't know if you saw it or not a few post back, but I tested the right most switch on the lock relay and it is giving me the same ohm reading whether the switch is open or closed. In #5 you talk about a flasher bulb on a relay board. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't have this and if I manually close a tilt switch it will only reset when the ball goes back in the trough or a new game is started.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I see what you are saying and it makes sense. I don't know if you saw it or not a few post back, but I tested the right most switch on the lock relay and it is giving me the same ohm reading whether the switch is open or closed. In #5 you talk about a flasher bulb on a relay board. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't have this and if I manually close a tilt switch it will only reset when the ball goes back in the trough or a new game is started.

I'd have to dig into the schematic to see whether that reading is normal or not. If the switch is in parallel with another switch you could expect to see this. For example, all of your tilt switches are parallel. If one is closed, they all read closed regardless of state.

Basic EM Pinball Switch Logic:
Series, normally open (Logic AND Gate)
All switches must be active/closed to complete the circuit.

Parallel, normally open (Logic OR Gate)
Any switch can be active/closed to complete the circuit.

Advanced EM Pinball Switch Logic:
NAND, NOR, etc. are used too, but it would only confuse things to add more detail here.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

I'd have to dig into the schematic to see whether that reading is normal or not. If the switch is in parallel with another switch you could expect to see this. For example, all of your tilt switches are parallel. If one is closed, they all read closed regardless of state.

Ok, I get it now. Thanks for explaining that.

#49 10 years ago

I made this schematic panorama as an experiment a while back:

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=b4c61263-49e1-4c5c-a8b7-96d5141cb90f

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

I like it.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shangri-la-williams-randomly-tilts-at-ball-beginning-or-ball-ending and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.