Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3430 (resized).jpg
0Shangri-La-pinside-pic-Work-A (resized).png
0Shangri-La-Work-22 (resized).jpg
Sh-La-Bot-Pan-3 -Work1 (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_3402 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

Hi Portraitman2
great - You could solve the problem with help of other pinsiders.
I do +/- like to do some research work (schematics / my pin) - but then realising "within the time I was doing my work: problem has been solved - my stuff is obsolete" --- this realising I do not like. So I write this post - lets use it as "some theory".

HowardR shows in post-3 the wiring to the coil on No-Match-Unit-Step-Up (and the unit has mounted THE BELL for getting ONEs-Points). The switch may be maladjusted - might be dirty / oxidated - sometimes making contact - sometimes NOT making contact. The wires in the circuitry may have broken-off a solder-lug - sometimes staying in place - then a bit of shaking the pin - broken-off end moves away a bit - sometimes connection - sometimes NO connection.

See the first JPG - "My E is the Game-Over-Relay" - from left to right (in the JPG) are switches SW-GO-1, SW-GO-2, SW-GO-3, -4, -5, -6. The first three switches are three-bladed Make-and-Brake-Switches. The schematics shows these switches at schematics-G-19, F-10, A-7. The colors of wires in my Shangri La have faded - hard to go by the colors of the wires.
See the second JPG --- on the Lights-Section one of these Make-and-Brake-Switches on the Game-Over-Relay --- when I cheat on the switch - making permanent connection "all three blades have connection": I see the Number-Match-Lights changing when I play a ball - the Number-Match-Lights are controlled by the Number-Match-Unit AND THE BELL is mounted on the Number-Match-Unit. So I can test the functionality "THE BELL" by making the No-Match-Lights light-up during play - and I see the No-Match-Lights changing - telling me about the functioning of the Unit.

The colors of wires in my Shangri La have faded - hard to go by the colors of the wires - I sneaked-in a stripe of paper into one half of one of the three-bladed-Make-and-Brake-Switches - started a game - played a bit - learning "what is no longer working due to the sneaked-in stripe of paper --- I used the stripe of paper on several halfs on these Make-and-Brake-Switches ---
I learned: IN MY Shangri La the leftmost of the switches on the Game-Over-Relay is the Switch shown in the schematics at A-7 - controlling the lights --- I took an Jumper-Wire and clipped-on at first-blade and-at third-blade (((the middle, second blade always is connected to either first or third blade))) With the Jumper-Wire clipped-on I made the lights to always be lighted --- and I could check the functioning of the No-Match-Unit. Greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-Work-22 (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Work-22 (resized).jpgSh-La-Bot-Pan-3 -Work1 (resized).JPGSh-La-Bot-Pan-3 -Work1 (resized).JPG

#9 5 years ago

Hi Portraitman2
an add-on to my post-8: My Shangri La has NOT mounted an bell on the No-Match-Unit. The first test I did was "a Test-Light hooked on the coil" - see the JPG - every time the coil has current: Test-Light lights up. I have long wires on the Test-Light - I clipped-on the Test-Light - then (long wires) I had the Test-Light hang on the front of the Backbox / Backglass.

SteveFury shows hes Test-Light here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 . Greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-pinside-pic-Work-A (resized).png0Shangri-La-pinside-pic-Work-A (resized).png
#11 5 years ago

Hi Portraitman2
I am glad that "my post-8 and post-9" helped on a problem in Your pin. I like that You started a topic on "one problem" --- then started a new topic on "new problem". I would like You to start new topics until You think the problems have been fixed - THEN a new topic "features in Shangri La" and / or "checking / testing Shangri La" (((I would like to talk about the features of the pin --- I also like to talk about looking around in a pin))) - please first: You write about everything You think "not working" - we fix everything - then comes "this and that". Please do not adjust switches on the base "might need adjusting - might run better after adjusting" - please first "we fix what is broken".

Have You seen in the schematics (?): Some Relays are feeded by 110VAC - one switch on the left flipper-button-switch has 110VAC - some switches on relays handle 110VAC - the 5-Cent- / 10-Cent- / 25-Cent-Coin-CHUTE-Switch handle 110VAC ????? Please ALWAYS unplug the main power cord when You just look into the pin - as well when You work and do not need electricity --- ONLY plug-in when You want to play / when You want to do tests and need electricity for tests. THEN wear rubber gloves or use wooden sticks (to manually activate relays / steppers) - NEVER touch bare metal - You may touch 110VAC and 110VAC can kill people.

So, what is the next "fault to be fixed" ? Greetings Rolf

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shangri-la-getting-1-point-chime-to-ring-consistently?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.