F8587DBF-A26E-404A-AE08-3451AEF8DB91 (resized).jpeg
1C8A386B-2195-478D-8FE7-F9CB84CE8963 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
61EFFDDA-D333-48C2-B98A-4FA4686F9588 (resized).jpeg
CC506299-CF86-4E88-8028-364467EBE7A7 (resized).jpeg
Shang_jones.jpg
Shangri La_jack plug_circled.jpg
shang_backbox.jpg
Shangri-La-XBall-PDF-914.PDF (PDF preview)
Shangri-La-XBall-PDF.PDF (PDF preview)
Shang capture.JPG
Shang_jones.jpg
IMG_20140126_194239[1].jpg
Williams jack.JPG
IMG_20140126_192321[1].jpg
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Hello All. I was playing my Shangri-la today and noticed a new problem just popped up. When playing a game every once in a while it won't count down the ball in play properly. Every once in a while it will stay on a ball number for two turns, but never gets stuck, it will always count down.

This is only happening on one or two balls per game and it's not the same ball number each time. About two months ago I took the ball count stepper apart. I cleaned all of the contacts and put a film of teflon grease on them. It stepped down freely after re-assembly.

The game has played flawlessly until this popped up. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should check out or adjust?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 10 years ago

Assuming it's not a mechanical problem.
Looking here at the schematic seems the circuit along the ball count step up circuit is at fault.
Only see 3 points for fault,most likely the score motor contacts is the culprit.
Clean and gap as needed for all suspect within the path.

Cac1apture.JPGCac1apture.JPG
Capslture.JPGCapslture.JPG

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Assuming it's not a mechanical problem.
Looking here at the schematic seems the circuit along the ball count step up circuit is at fault.
Only see 3 points for fault,most likely the score motor contacts is the culprit.
Clean and gap as needed for all suspect within the path.

Pin-it, thank you for the response, information, and shot of the schematic. I think I will take your advice and check the score motor contact first.

I have attached a picture of the score motor. Can anyone tell me which switch is the "ball count step-up" switch on the score motor so I don't adjust the wrong switch?

Thanks!

IMG_20131117_130746.jpgIMG_20131117_130746.jpg
#4 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Can anyone tell me which switch is the "ball count step-up" switch on the score motor so I don't adjust the wrong switch?

Not sure if you have the schematics? here they are. >> http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2110/ShangriLa.pdf

Looking at your photo>>Left to right>>The switch you seek is starting from the left is your motor (2nd disc cam stack) ,1st set on the bottom of contacts from the set of three switching sets. ( as shown in the snip in my previous post)
Motor cam layout from your photo L-R >> is Index,cam 1,cam2,cam3,cam4,cam5,impulse,impulse.

#5 10 years ago

Check you outhole and trough switch too.

#6 10 years ago

A quick way to test and also mimic what issue you have is to lift the playfield up(remove ball first) score some points pressing a rollover or target which should activate the ball index relay,then press the outhole switch w/a wooden pencil and the ball count should step properly.
A way to mimic the ball count not working is to put a piece of paper between the score motors contacts to stop the flow of current on the way to the Ball count s.u. solenoid.
In order for this to happen after scoring points via a rollover /target and locking in the ball index relay first ,then add the paper in the score motor contacts (2nd cam from the motor position A contacts) and the ball count will not change.

2 months later
#7 10 years ago

Hello everyone! I'm just getting back to fixing this issue because some other things came up. I cleaned and adjusted the bottom switch on the second stack from the left on the score motor. It is without a doubt clean, touching when closed and gapped when open now and I'm still having the same problem.

My trough switch appears to be working correctly. As soon as the ball hits the trough and activates the switch the score motor cycles. The switch that's in-between the trough and shooter lane, I assume is the outhole switch, seems to work also. When I activate it I hear a relay click somewhere.

I put a piece of paper in-between the contacts on the ball count step up switch and it did like Pin-it said and didn't count up at all.

It's probably worth mentioning that it use to randomly not kick a ball into the shooter lane, but hasn't done that in a while. Thought this might be related to the current problem.

Is there anything else that I should be looking for since the problem hasn't changed with me cleaning and adjusting the count-up switch on the score motor?

Thanks!

Post edited by pindude80

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

A quick way to test and also mimic what issue you have is to lift the playfield up(remove ball first) score some points pressing a rollover or target which should activate the ball index relay,then press the outhole switch w/a wooden pencil and the ball count should step properly.

If the outhole switch is the switch between the through and shooter lane when I tried the experiment above nothing happened.

#9 10 years ago

Hey pindude80. Almost got it.
Did you look at the ball count unit itself? It could be bound up with gunk and not function correctly too.
A clean and lube should get it going.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Hey pindude80. Almost got it.
Did you look at the ball count unit itself? It could be bound up with gunk and not function correctly too.
A clean and lube should get it going.

Hi Pin-it! Thanks for jumping back in to help with this. By the way, I like your avatar picture!

I had previously taken the ball count unit apart and cleaned it up. When I manually step it up it steps cleanly and quickly. When I hit the total reset it pops right back to the home position. I just raised the playfield, hit a rollover, hit the trough switch and watched the ball count unit. The ball count unit doesn't even attempt to move, but when it does it steps up cleanly like when I manually activate it. Right now it seems to be hanging on one ball for two turns and then steps.

Anything else to look at?

Thanks again for your help!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I like your Avatar picture!

Thanks,

Quoted from pindude80:

When I manually step it up it steps cleanly and quickly. When I hit the total reset it pops right back to the home position.

Ok .

Quoted from pindude80:

I just raised the playfield, hit a rollover, hit the trough switch and watched the ball count unit. The ball count unit doesn't even attempt to move,

Ok ,(schematic 21f)You have to put points on it before the Ball count unit will step up,(basically a mulligan)until the Ball index locks in before it will operate after which its allowed to Step up to work and count each time the ball enters the outhole with small delay before being kicked over to the shooter rod. It will stayed locked until the last ball to game over. Check the Ball index relay and clean /adjust.
If that doesnt fix it ^^ try the following.
It seems that your first post showed it would happen at any ball,if thats the case then maybe the gap at the score motor cam is too close it seems. I had a similar problem with a Gottlieb and if the contacts were too close in the outhole switch that it would stay on the same ball occasionally,after i opened up the contacts gap it started to count correctly,maybe the same problem is happening on your score motor contacts. Assuming the wires at the termination points are soldered well and strong,see if that works.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Ok ,(schematic 21f)You have to put points on it before the Ball count unit will step up,(basically a mulligan)until the Ball index locks in before it will operate after which its allowed to Step up to work and count each time the ball enters the outhole with small delay before being kicked over to the shooter rod. It will stayed locked until the last ball to game over. Check the Ball index relay and clean /adjust..

I looked at the ball index relay. It appears to be operating correctly. It is open at the start of a ball, as soon as I hit any point scoring target it closes and stays closed until I hit the trough switch and then it opens again. What is supposed to stay locked until the last ball to game over?

I cleaned the contacts on the ball index relay and that didn't change anything. The gap on the contacts seems to be correct- about the thickness of 2-3 business cards. They snap closed solidly when the index is energized

Quoted from Pin-it:

If that doesnt fix it ^^ try the following.
It seems that your first post showed it would happen at any ball,if thats the case then maybe the gap at the score motor cam is too close it seems. I had a similar problem with a Gottlieb and if the contacts were too close in the outhole switch that it would stay on the same ball occasionally,after i opened up the contacts gap it started to count correctly,maybe the same problem is happening on your score motor contacts. Assuming the wires at the termination points are soldered well and strong,see if that works.

It does happen on any ball. I gave the wires that are connected to the switch in question on the score motor a good tug and they seem to be soldered on solidly. I tried opening up the gap a little and there was no difference. I tried closing up the gap a little and no difference.

Anything else to check?

Thanks!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

It is open at the start of a ball, as soon as I hit any point scoring target it closes and stays closed until I hit the trough switch and then it opens again.

Yes,^^that is correct, it will lock the index relay when points are scored until it goes into the outhole and then it unlocks till points are scored again which will allow the ball count step up to add but only after it is in locked mode. It wont lock in if points are not scored nor will the ball count advance either.
Sorry if i confused the way i described it prior post.

Quoted from pindude80:

Anything else to check?

Looking at the coin unit and the player unit is what is between the score motor contact and the ball count step up relay, thats where i would look at next. See in the schematic snip on my first post. As it seems like everything else is working fine.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Yes,^^that is correct, it will lock the index relay when points are scored until it goes into the outhole and then it unlocks till points are scored again which will allow the ball count step up to add but only after it is in locked mode. It wont lock in if points are not scored nor will the ball count advance either.
Sorry if i confused the way i described it prior post.

Nah, I pretty much knew what you were saying.

Quoted from Pin-it:

Looking at the coin unit and the player unit is what is between the score motor contact and the ball count step up relay, thats where i would look at next. See in the schematic snip on my first post. As it seems like everything else is working fine.

Cool! That is good news that the coin unit and player unit are in the path because I was beginning to worry that we were running out of stuff to look at! LOL I have a feeling the problem will be in the coin unit or player unit. When I first got the machine a few months ago I took both of these apart to clean and lube. When I took them apart I messed up and let the spring unwind and didn't know how much tension to put on them when I put it back together. They did step up properly when put back together, but I'll check them again. Can you tell me what situation activates each one?

Thanks!!!

#16 10 years ago

Looks to be the common feed to the coin unit (the blue-black tracer and the red-white tracer shown in the snip above)is what its showing going through to the ball count step up. Find the wires on the coin unit and see whats happening. Might also want to clean your jones plugs too as corrosion/crud could be the intermittent issue on the ball count.
As for the player unit it does not feed to the ball step up, the player unit is stepped through a make and break via score motor 2a.<<Was watching football and not reading that right when i posted before.
We are running out of things to look at.

Quoted from pindude80:

When I took them apart I messed up and let the spring unwind and didn't know how much tension to put on them when I put it back together.

2-3 turns approx.just enough to reset them.

#17 10 years ago

Look at the contacts for the extra ball,
Could be a n.c. contact causing the problem.
Adjust and clean them, then make a score to close the index and pull the outhole switch.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Looks to be the common feed to the coin unit (the blue-black tracer and the red-white tracer shown in the snip above)is what its showing going through to the ball count step up. Find the wires on the coin unit and see whats happening. Might also want to clean your jones plugs too as corrosion/crud could be the intermittent issue on the ball count.
As for the player unit it does not feed to the ball step up, the player unit is stepped through a make and break via score motor 2a.<<Was watching football and not reading that right when i posted before.

Spent the past couple hours looking at the coin unit. There are two blue-blacks and two red-whites going to the coin unit; both blue-blacks to the same terminal and both red-whites to the same terminal. Gave all four wires a little tug and all are securely soldered. The coin unit steps up and resets cleanly. I also checked/adjusted all of the contacts on the "fingers" that contact the coin unit and all appear great.

I had removed/cleaned the Jones plugs when I got the machine as I was having a tilt problem. I pulled them, inspected and they still look good.

Pretty much everytime now it is going from ball one to ball two accurately, but balls 2-5 are each getting two turns before advancing to the next ball.

I did notice that the game over light is not lighting up after ball 5 is over; don't know if this is related or not. I do know that the game over light did light up when the game was working properly. I can't say for sure that the game over light quit lighting when I started to have the ball count problem.

Another thing to add that might lead to something is before it started having the ball count problem sometimes it wouldn't kick a ball into the shooter lane when starting a new ball. This didn't happen very often or has happened recently, but just thought I would throw it out there.

Quoted from Pin-it:

We are running out of things to look at.

I know; I'm getting scared!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

Look at the contacts for the extra ball,
Could be a n.c. contact causing the problem.
Adjust and clean them, then make a score to close the index and pull the outhole switch.

Thanks for the reply, but this game doesn't have an extra ball feature.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Is the coin unit only supposed to step when another player is added? I accidentally unwound it again and gave it two turns when I rewound it.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Pretty much everytime now it is going from ball one to ball two accurately, but balls 2-5 are each getting two turns before advancing to the next ball.

Lets try this test first.
Ok it may be you have the torsion(return) spring too tight which will give the symptoms your describing.
If its too tight it does not have enough strength(the step up coil) to set to the next tooth(ball).
Here is what you want to do,unwind the torsion spring and put one turn on it.
Reset a game for 1 player. A quick way to do it with the playfield down is to press a rollover or target to lock in the index relay/put up points drop the ball in the outhole,let it kick over to the shooter lane,index locks/add points ,drop the ball in the outhole,let it kick over ....repeat till 1-5 ball to game over ,then reset it and see if goes to ball one. If it goes to ball one then there is enough tension.
If it does not go to ball one then with the torsion spring will need an additional turn to allow it to fully reset to one,try again ........

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Lets try this test first.
Ok it may be you have the torsion(return) spring too tight which will give the symptoms your describing.
If its too tight it does not have enough strength(the step up coil) to set to the next tooth(ball).
Here is what you want to do,unwind the torsion spring and put one turn on it.
Reset a game for 1 player. A quick way to do it with the playfield down is to press a rollover or target to lock in the index relay/put up points drop the ball in the outhole,let it kick over to the shooter lane,index locks/add points ,drop the ball in the outhole,let it kick over ....repeat till 1-5 ball to game over ,then reset it and see if goes to ball one. If it goes to ball one then there is enough tension.
If it does not go to ball one then with the torsion spring will need an additional turn to allow it to fully reset to one,try again ........

I'm glad to see that you keep coming up with things to test when I think we are doomed!

Unfortunately the test above didn't change anything I thought it would have worked because there were about 3-4 turns on the torsion spring. Even with just one turn on the spring it would return to ball 1 upon starting a new game. After the test didn't work I put a total of 2 turns on the torsion spring.

#23 10 years ago

You said it would step up fine manually and the torsion(reset) spring works correct.
So when you put the ball in the cycle as described above,ball 1-5 game over did the ball sometimes take multiple times to step up to each ball?
On the ball count unit sometimes the drive spring gets a little slack in it and can not have enough umph to lock in the next tooth,but it can be altered by taking a few spring rounds (start with 1-2 is usually enough) and bending them off to the side and then reattaching it at the new spring loop location.

Williams total reset stepper unit Illustration.JPGWilliams total reset stepper unit Illustration.JPG

On the post in red is where i am talking about bending the loops at.
* It may take a little time setting it but once you have it set it will work fine,trust me i had the same issue.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

You said it would step up fine manually and the torsion(reset) spring works correct.
So when you put the ball in the cycle as described above,ball 1-5 game over did the ball sometimes take multiple times to step up to each ball?

Yes, it generally takes two times to step up to the next ball number.

I tried taking a couple turns out of the spring and it was the same. I even tried taking out about 4 or 5 turns and it acted the same. I tried taking the spring off and it started acting goofy, which I expected.

Do you think it not lighting the game over light is related? I wonder if whatever is causing the game over not to light may be the root cause and this is a side effect??

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I wonder if whatever is causing the game over not to light may be the root cause

When you step the ball count up manually it does go to game over correct?

What is the difference between manual and electrically advancing?
Lets isolate the Bc unit.
Do you have an insulated alligator jumper wire? With the pinball unplugged attach the clip to the yellow secondary tap return,then with other end place it safely near the Bc unit step up solenoid.
On the solenoid you will see 2 wires,black which is the Hot feed and Red/white is the return path.
Plug the power cord in ,reset the game and with the insulated gator clip in a safe manner quickly tap the coil red/white tab and it should stop at each ball #.
It should step up each tap from 1-5 to G.o.
What are the results?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

When you step the ball count up manually it does go to game over correct?

It's the same as letting the game advance to G.O. It ends the game, but doesn't light the game over light

Quoted from Pin-it:

What is the difference between manual and electrically advancing??

When manually stepping up the ball count unit it counts up correctly- each push on the solenoid plunger advances it by one ball.

Quoted from Pin-it:

Do you have an insulated alligator jumper wire? With the pinball unplugged attach the clip to the yellow secondary tap return,then with other end place it safely near the Bc unit step up solenoid.
On the solenoid you will see 2 wires,black which is the Hot feed and Red/white is the return path.
Plug the power cord in ,reset the game and with the insulated gator clip in a safe manner quickly tap the coil red/white tab and it should stop at each ball #.
It should step up each tap from 1-5 to G.o.
What are the results?

When doing this test it counts up correctly- each tap of the wire to the coil lead advances one ball and after ball 5 it will end the game, but not light the G.O. light.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

When doing this test it counts up correctly- each tap of the wire to the coil lead advances

Ok

Quoted from pindude80:

after ball 5 it will end the game, but not light the G.O. light.

Do you hear/see the game over relay trip at that point? if yes continue on,if no skip to # 3
With machine unplugged.
1- Continuity check w/meter for the bulb. If bulb checks out ok,put it back into the socket base and check continuity this time with one probe to the socket base itself,with bulb completing the circuit use the other probe to the center terminal feed on the bottom of the base. If that passes then move to next step.
2- Power up the pin and reset ,advance/step up to game over.
Check for voltage when the game ends at the game over light,use your meter set for Ac voltage and touch one probe to the center terminal and the other probe to side of the bulb base,(careful not to short out) you should get a V reading.
3- If not then you will have to check your feed /return wiring of the game over relay/to the game over light not working or the g.o. relay itself,it could also be the contact/tracer on the ball count unit is not completing due to the b.c.u wiper fingers needing an adjustment,etc..... Clean and adjust.

Once you get the g.o. to light proper then we can move back to the ball count step up issue.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

1- Continuity check w/meter for the bulb. If bulb checks out ok,put it back into the socket base and check continuity this time with one probe to the socket base itself,with bulb completing the circuit use the other probe to the center terminal feed on the bottom of the base. If that passes then move to next step.

Once you get the g.o. to light proper then we can move back to the ball count step up issue.

Well I feel stupid. This game has two G.O. bulbs and both were bad, which I found with the continuity test. What is weird is that about three months ago I went through all of the bulbs in the backbox; I know for a fact both G.O. lights were working. I replaced the bulbs and it works properly now.

#29 10 years ago

It's very easy to over look the obvious. I've been watching this thread from the beginning and learned alot of useful info, unfortunately, at your expense. Glad you got it fixed and back to playing. Pin-it should be writing trouble shooting tutorials and posting them.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

This game has two G.O. bulbs and both were bad, which I found with the continuity test.

Yeah that happens ^^,bulb quality (china/taiwan made) is lacking to say the least.

Lets narrow this down, back to the b.c.u. ▲ Try this with the playfield up,reset the game activate some points to set the ball index,then press(careful its live) the outhole relay direct(not the outhole switch itself) and what happens does it advance to ball 2? if so repeat for each till the g.o. lights. Did it count up correctly?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

It's very easy to over look the obvious.

Very true.^^ Best to keep an open mind. ♪ ♫

#32 10 years ago

Most things are simple...untill the human mind intervenes.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

Most things are simple...untill the human mind intervenes.

Or adult beverages!

#34 10 years ago

So true.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

It's very easy to over look the obvious. I've been watching this thread from the beginning and learned alot of useful info, unfortunately, at your expense. Glad you got it fixed and back to playing. Pin-it should be writing trouble shooting tutorials and posting them.

Hi Wolf! I'm glad that you learned a lot as I have also learned a lot trying to fix this.
Unfortunately I didn't get it fixed yet, but making progress.
Yeah, Pin-it is the man for sure. There is no way I could have made it this far without him.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Yeah that happens ^^,bulb quality (china/taiwan made) is lacking to say the least.

I looked at the bulbs when I took them out and one was recently replaced by me; like you said junk quality, but the price is right on them.

Quoted from Pin-it:

Lets narrow this down, back to the b.c.u. ▲ Try this with the playfield up,reset the game activate some points to set the ball index,then press(careful its live) the outhole relay direct(not the outhole switch itself) and what happens does it advance to ball 2? if so repeat for each till the g.o. lights. Did it count up correctly?

It acts the exact same way as before. i.e. it still takes two cycles to step up one ball number.

#37 10 years ago

Ok,Give the outhole relay a good cleaning (flex or file)and check leaf sw. gaps.
For some reason it works proper when you bypassed it using the gator clips direct ,now its a question of why its not getting the same voltage kick running through the circuitry (outhole switch triggers the (pulls in) ☼Outhole relay through☼Extra ball jack plug through☼Ball index relay through☼Score motor contacts 1-a through☼Coin unit and finally to the☼B.c.u. step up solenoid.
You said you dont use the extra ball feature,but as wizardblom pointed out it, could be you dont use it but it might be part of the problem in the circuit.

Quoted from pindude80:

like you said junk quality, but the price is right on them.

True^ we get what we pay for.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Ok,Give the outhole relay a good cleaning (flex or file)and check leaf sw. gaps..

I cleaned all of the leaves with a flexstone and tightened up the gaps just a touch on three leaves- see attached pic. Unfortunately it's still acting the same.

Quoted from Pin-it:

You said you dont use the extra ball feature,but as wizardblom pointed out it, could be you dont use it but it might be part of the problem in the circuit.

I remember him saying that and I looked at the first shot you posted of the schematic and it shows an extra ball jack and an extra ball relay. The game doesn't have an extra ball switch on the playfield. Is it possible that it is still wired for an extra ball feature? I didn't see any relays that said "extra ball" although there does appear to be a spot on the mechanical panel where something was removed and two wires were soldered together- see second pic. If you look closely at this pic you see two Phillips headed screws where something appears to have been mounted at one time. Above those screws you can see one wire with white tape on it and two that are soldered together. I'm guessing these wires went to whatever was mounted on the mechanical panel. Do you know what may have been here or if it would be related to our problem?

Thanks a million for hanging in there and continuing to help!

Shangri La_Outhole Relay_small.jpgShangri La_Outhole Relay_small.jpg Shangri La_Wires.jpgShangri La_Wires.jpg
#39 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

The game doesn't have an extra ball switch on the playfield. Is it possible that it is still wired for an extra ball feature?

Unless they changed it in production and got rid of that feature,but seen here it says same player shoot again in the backglass which means an extra ball is given at some score or sequence.
A little hard to see but its there >> http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2110&picno=20171&zoom=1
On the schematic you can see in the G.I. (9-10/a-b section)the extra ball lite and shoot again lite wiring.
See what you can find and clean either the jack plug or extra ball relay if found.

Look under the playfield itself for the extra ball jack/relay,might be hiding there or in the backbox.

Quoted from pindude80:

If you look closely at this pic you see two Phillips headed screws where something appears to have been mounted at one time. Above those screws you can see one wire with white tape on it and two that are soldered together. I'm guessing these wires went to whatever was mounted on the mechanical panel. Do you know what may have been here or if it would be related to our problem?

Not sure what that would have been for.^ Just make sure both are soldered well and tape them up good.
Does the score motor ever give intermittent operation?

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Unless they changed it in production and got rid of that feature,but seen here it says same player shoot again in the backglass which means an extra ball is given at some score or sequence.
A little hard to see but its there >> http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2110&picno=20171&zoom=1
On the schematic you can see in the G.I. (9-10/a-b section)the extra ball lite and shoot again lite wiring.
See what you can find and clean either the jack plug or extra ball relay if found.
Look under the playfield itself for the extra ball jack/relay,might be hiding there or in the backbox.

I do see it in the picture you linked to. I just looked at my backglass and it's also there. I have never seen it light up though so I guess that's why I didn't know it was there. I pulled the backglass and checked the continuity on the "same player shoots again" bulbs and they tested good.

I looked pretty thoroughly in backbox, bottom of playfield, and mechanical panel and didn't see any relays labeled "extra ball," shoot again, or anything like that.

Do you think the problem has something to do with the extra ball circuit and that's why it's taking two turns for each ball number to advance?

I am not familiar with what a "jack plug" is. If I'm guessing correctly it's seen in my second picture in the post above.

Quoted from Pin-it:

Not sure what that would have been for.^ Just make sure both are soldered well and tape them up good.
Does the score motor ever give intermittent operation?

Me neither and was thinking it had something to do with the extra ball feature. I tugged on the two wires that were soldered together, they came apart. I tried the game with them apart, no change, I stripped both wires and twisted them together tightly and tried again, no change.

The score motor always has worked fine as long as I have had the machine.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I am not familiar with what a "jack plug" is. If I'm guessing correctly it's seen in my second picture in the post above.

The upper one is the service jack for the score motor(on /off),and the lower is for coin adjustment. 1-play for 10¢ or 2-play for 10¢ depending on plug position.

Quoted from Pin-it:

☼Outhole relay through☼Extra ball jack plug through☼Ball index relay through☼Score motor contacts 1-a through☼Coin unit and finally to the☼B.c.u. step up solenoid.

It works when you gator clipped bypassed it,maybe a relay is weak and not holding tight (extra ball or ball index) or the score motor contact gap is just a little off.

Maybe someone else can chime in here and see if we are missing something.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

The upper one is the service jack for the score motor(on /off),and the lower is for coin adjustment. 1-play for 10¢ or 2-play for 10¢ depending on plug position.

Ok. That makes sense. I unplugged the upper one and the score motor wouldn't cycle.

Quoted from Pin-it:

It works when you gator clipped bypassed it,maybe a relay is weak and not holding tight (extra ball or ball index) or the score motor contact gap is just a little off.
Maybe someone else can chime in here and see if we are missing something.

I can check the ball index relay again, but I remember it staying closed from the time points are put on the game until I hit the trough switch.

I looked at the switch on the score motor last night, second stack from the left bottom switch, for the ball count step up on the score motor last night and it definitely is open at the right time and closes tightly when it's supposed to.

I wish I could find this extra ball relay because I bet that is where the trouble is. I might make another post to see if anyone that has a Shangri-La knows where the extra ball relay is.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I might make another post to see if anyone that has a Shangri-La knows where the extra ball relay is.

An extra pair of eyes via someone who has/had one is a good idea.
Seeing three others who have it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/shangri-la/owners

Pm them and see who responds.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

An extra pair of eyes via someone who has/had one is a good idea.
Seeing three others who have it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/shangri-la/owners
Pm them and see who responds.

That's a good idea to PM them. I put up a post, but don't know that they will see it.

#45 10 years ago

I was thinking maybe the machine is giving you the same player shoots again,maybe thats why its staying on the same ball.

#46 10 years ago

Not questioning, just asking how it would know to do that without the spsa relay? Is it possible the wires that are tied together where the empty space is?

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

I was thinking maybe the machine is giving you the same player shoots again,maybe thats why its staying on the same ball.

That seems to be what's going on if I had to guess, but I'm far from an expert at fixing pinball machines. What's weird, but probably doesn't mean much is that on ball 1 only about 50% of the time will it need two turns to advance, but balls 2-5 always need two turns to advance.

Do you think this is the extra ball jack plug? This is the only other jack plug that is on the mechanical panel that isn't in my other picture. The only other jack plugs I can find anywhere on the machine are in the backbox and according to the chart next to those jack plugs they are for scoring purposes.

Shangri La_jack plug.jpgShangri La_jack plug.jpg
#48 10 years ago

I don't think so, but don't know for sure. I would think the jones plug for the extra ball would only have 3 conections at most,IE; 1 for extra ball, 1 for credit, 1 for novelty.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

how it would know to do that without the spsa relay?

I dont think the empty space on the mech. board is a missing extra ball relay.
As it would not either stay stuck on the same ball all the time since it is was bypassed direct,the clue i see is that it is random and to me it sounds like the E.B. relay is get activated either by vibration or possible contact continuity.

#50 10 years ago

Looking more at the schematic it looks like if you lite up all three stars (red/white/blue) lites the special. Which is followed by 300 and center target.
It works by not allowing the ball to be count down via the E.B. relay not unlike a Make and break switch,if you see the snip at the top of this thread you can see how its a normally closed switch but will open when energized which tells me the contact of the E.B. relay is fault. Otherwise in order for the E.B to happen you must complete all the sequences to achieve it.

Seen here on the snips: When completed the E.B. relay pulls in when special sequence is completed then the contacts separate on the relay thus not allowing the Step up to occur which makes sense to what you are having.

Sl help.JPGSl help.JPG

Link to Flyer and Schematic... http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2110&picno=4320&zoom=1

Sl 2 help.JPGSl 2 help.JPG

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shangri-la-ball-count-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.