• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey Guys,

So I have room for a collection of 4, but I can live with 3. I have three machines that have been mastered and ready to move.

So I will want a new players quality flagship game.

Depth and challenge are incredibly important in my small collection. What will come will eventually be tamed.

So in your opinion, what is the best game for under $4K?

Second question to a lesser extent.... best game under $2K

As a preview, here are the games (all recently shopped) that will show up in the market sooner or later. If you are super interested, send me a PM: Demolition Man, Jokerz (Williams sys 11), Space Station

#2 7 years ago

Baywatch for under 2k
Stargate for under 2k (maybe)

Congo, Vette, DH, FT, TS for under 4k

For sys11 go get an ES or Wwind.

#3 7 years ago

Consider something like one of the lesser Sterns. World Poker Tour is a cracking players game and not too expensive.

#4 7 years ago

Ripley's is among the best.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Ripley's is among the best.

Ripley's for sure if you like depth and challenge for under $4k. I would add STTNG, X-Men, WPT and Shadow too.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Consider something like one of the lesser Sterns. World Poker Tour is a cracking players game and not too expensive.

Never consider Stern for anything!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Never consider Stern for anything!

More fool you.

#8 7 years ago

I have zero brand bias. I have been equally burned and pleasantly surprised by all manufactures.

RBION was not really a consideration because of theme and the one time I played it..... sounds like I should give it another shot

#9 7 years ago

Play them on the Pinball Arcade and you can get a pretty good idea if you'll like it or not. Then try the real thing. Road Show is another pretty good one for under $4k. Too linear is the complaint I hear most often about it.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

I have zero brand bias. I have been equally burned and pleasantly surprised by all manufactures.
RBION was not really a consideration because of theme and the one time I played it..... sounds like I should give it another shot

Ripley's takes a long time to figure out. It is not a game you are going to play a couple of times and love. There is a lot of strategy to it , especially with the temple grid. There is a lot going on and the game is very challenging.

#11 7 years ago

Whirlwind, WCS94, and dip your toe into the stern market with a RBION

#12 7 years ago

Under 4K
WH2O
WCS

Star Trek Pro...a little over 4K

Under 2K
Taxi
Whirlwind
EBD

#13 7 years ago

What is EBD???

White water is ok, but I've already "beat it" a few times.
WW is just too easy and not deep enough. Fantastic game though.
WCS is another great game. little too one sided, but I have added it to the list

Looks like the shortlist is: RBIOM, WCS, FT, Congo, TS.

Thoughts on these? What else to add?

#14 7 years ago

Earthshaker is the only proper way to shake things up.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Earthshaker is the only proper way to shake things up.

Fair enough. I'll add it to the list. I have only played it twice. I really enjoy the shaker gimmick. Is the game challenging? Deep?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Is the game challenging? Deep?

It's challenging enough. You said you wanted to shake up the collection and ES has the first and best integrated shaker of them all. It can also remove plaster from your walls.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

What is EBD???
WW is just too easy and not deep enough. Fantastic game though.
WCS is another great game. little too one sided, but I have added it to the list
Looks like the shortlist is: RBIOM, WCS, FT, Congo, TS.
Thoughts on these? What else to add?

Eight Ball Deluxe. One of, if not thee best solid state game IMO

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Eight Ball Deluxe. One of, if not thee best solid state game IMO

I love Bally SS games from that era but I really need more depth

#19 7 years ago

My top pick out of that would be Shadow. I think it's the best players game under your 4K limit for depth and variety of scoring strategies. More than one strategy to score big. Baywatch would be an interesting choice as a second pick, deeper than usual Sega game that's reasonably balanced with fun shots. Easier for the expert player to conquer though, so you'll have to set it up hard. For a third game under 2K I think I'd go back to the 80's and pick up a classic Stern like Nineball. Depends on if you're looking to be a serious tournament or league player, but if you are, variety is important and you need to know how to play games of all eras. Nineball is one of the tougher games from the solid state era. 4th game I might go with an EM like Surf Champ or 300. Sometimes you really don't feel like playing a half hour game.....lol.

#20 7 years ago

There have been a few TSPP listed for under $4K recently and occasionally you'll see a sub $4K SM, both of those are better than TS in my opinion, but I'm one of the seemingly rare people who don't like that game much at all. It's good you don't want WH20 because I don't see them under $4K anymore. Pinball Magic is another really cool sub $4K game as well, might want to add JM to the list too.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

Baywatch would be an interesting choice as a second pick, deeper than usual Sega game that's reasonably balanced with fun shots. Easier for the expert player to conquer though, so you'll have to set it up hard.

The only way to conquer Baywatch easily is to time out the modes to reach the Wizard mode. If you're actually trying to finish the modes Baywatch is by no means easy and quite a challenge (Chopper rescue in particular).

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

What is EBD???

Not to be that guy, but I highly doubt you've achieved Vacation Super Jackpot once, let alone a few times. Maybe you are a world class talent that idk about though.

#23 7 years ago

Not really answering your exact question, but with the same budget I'd go for three of the following: BSD, FT, WCS94, JP, HS2, JM, DM, JD, and I500. Most of those are going to be $2,250 to $3,000. Another option would be one of the machines mentioned above. Since that would put you slightly over budget pair it with a cheaper System 11. Some options would be Taxi, HS, PinBot, or F14. You would then be able to add a $4,000 machine like STTNG, Congo, or TS.

1 week later
#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

The only way to conquer Baywatch easily is to time out the modes to reach the Wizard mode. If you're actually trying to finish the modes Baywatch is by no means easy and quite a challenge (Chopper rescue in particular).

I always found it hard to enjoy a game where one times out modes. I See folks do it in STNG, and it kills me. Play the dang game!

#25 7 years ago

Indy 500
Judge Dredd
The Shadow

For challenge and fun factor in your price range, those three are hard to beat.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

Indy 500
Judge Dredd
The Shadow
For challenge and fun factor in your price range, those three are hard to beat.

Good three.

#27 7 years ago

Pay a little more and try to secure the best older game ever made...
Scared Stiff

After that, Party Animal is a great, cheap title if you can find one in decent shape
Can't go wrong with Judge Dredd.

Should be able to get these for 2k or under...
Bride of Pinbot or Break Shot.

Oh, and Grand Lizard.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's challenging enough. You said you wanted to shake up the collection and ES has the first and best integrated shaker of them all. It can also remove plaster from your walls.

ES is a fun game, but if you find WW too easy you will find ES even easier. BSD would be a great choice. It's not too deep but stacking all three multi- balls is awesome and very hard to do.

#29 7 years ago

I'd go with BSD, TS, and Taxi.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

Not to be that guy, but I highly doubt you've achieved Vacation Super Jackpot once, let alone a few times. Maybe you are a world class talent that idk about though.

Not needed to beat white water. Only getting to and finishing wet Willie's is needed to have beaten the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J
Other
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 11.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Port Charlotte, FL
Machine - For Sale
Wheaton-glenmont, MD
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 49.99
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Strongsville, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaking-up-my-collection-your-opinion-counts?hl=nowakster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.